Astra 1.9 cdti 150 2006 - Astra breathing heavy - johnkent

Got this 2006 1.9 cdti its breathing heavy and smoking so my mechanic blocked off the breather then run a piece of heater pipe into airbox so it vents there as opposed to leaving pipe so fumes come back up through engine bay, air filter is out by the way.

Is there any other way of doing this so car breathes better?

Anyone got any ideas.?

I think the engine is on its last knocking's due to it being run low on oil I've been told just want a bit more time from it.

Edited by johnkent on 02/05/2017 at 09:04

Astra 1.9 cdti 150 2006 - Astra breathing heavy - edlithgow

If I understand what you mean by "breathing heavy" (which doesn't actually mean anything in this context) correctly, its suffering from excessive blowby.

Work arounds for contamination of the intake track (perhaps including the air filter) by excessive blowby include:-

(a) A "road draft tube" (the original and worst) which just vents the blowby to atmosphere. That'd be illegal and immoral, but it'd probably work and you might not get caught, at least until an MOT.

(b) "Catch cans", bascically a filter in the crankcase venting path which intercept the oil vapour and soot, either before the blow by goes back into the intake tract (legal) or vents to atmosphere (illegal and immoral, but not quite as immoral as above). Look them up. You can buy them, but they look easy enough to make. The gloop they catch can either be emptied by hand or a drain to the sump arranged.

(c) Routed directly to the exhaust. I've heard of this being done by dragsters but am not sure of the details. Sounds a bit more difficult DIY but I suppose you could make a spacer /thick gasket with an entry pipe at a section join.

Re leaving the filter off that'll likely finish it off, so should be avoided unless you've given up on it. The air filter is the most important filter on the engine

Some bikers leave it off. They call it a "velocity stack" which probably sounds cool if you're a butt-head biker. Don't be.

Astra 1.9 cdti 150 2006 - Astra breathing heavy - SLO76
Punt it to auction while it's still running. If it has a few months mot then someone will give a few hundred quid for it. Then go buy a basic petrol engined runabout until you can afford to get something better and don't waste money on another complex turbo diesel unless you can afford to buy a good one. You'll never get this running right. Fiat diesels are a pain in the ass at this age.
Astra 1.9 cdti 150 2006 - Astra breathing heavy - gordonbennet

I presume the problem being if an air filter was in place it would get soaked in oil in days due to excessive blow by.

As advised above you either vent excess crankase air/oil/fumes to air, and i did this myself many moons ago with a Diesel Granada until i had the funds to rebuild it, or you tap a new hole into the air intake closer to the engine and well away from the filter so the engine can reburn some of the fumes, but do fit an air filter of some sort.

Yes that Granada, which had the 2.5 Peugeot lump had been neglected rotten too, low on oil and no oil changes, and was basically worn out at 80k miles.

Edited by gordonbennet on 06/05/2017 at 10:28

Yes im more worried about it not being able to breath properly through the air box if i put a filter back in.

I,ve seen people de restrict the air box by breaking off the tubes from inlet inside

So my way of thinking is buy some fine metal gauze add a square filter directly where inlet comes in then make a frame same diameter as air box with more fine gauze thus having two metal filters this way it'll breath and stop any particles stones dust etc being sucked up

Do you rekon it'll work, i'm selling car on anyway

TBH i'd be more worried about the engine terminally injesting something that's been made up, bearing in mind the constant vibrations of a Diesel inlet.

If it were mine i'd make a new hole nearer the engine intake making it look as OE as possible and chuck a proper air filter in.

Thanks mate,

On a 1.9 cdti any idea where would be best

as the breather going to the front of crankcase is the one blocked off and re routed into air box.

I don't know the layout, but i'd make a hole somewhere in the air intake ducting, engine side of the air filter, and fit the pipe in there.

Intake should pull the fumes and associated oil film away from the filter.

Thanks mate i'll try that

Just to confirm when you say tap a hole near engine intake do you mean near the EGR valve , so run the pipe that i have put into air box into engine intake ducting instead.

I rekon the filter has been taken out to help it breath easier, ive also had to renew the pcv valve as that was leaking oil i presume because of the blow back

Funny thing is mate it runs like a dream, pulls well not sluggish at all.