Anyone SOLD a car to Arnold Clark? - Farm Girl

Hi there

I was just wondering if anyone had an experience selling your car to the car chain Arnold Clark? What process do you go through? Do you actually get the price they quote? What are your responsibilities afterwards? I sold a car privately years ago and shortly afterwardsr there was an issue with it and they were demanding I pay for repair. Just wanted to know that wouldn't be the case should something crop up later.

Anyone SOLD a car to Arnold Clark? - focussed

The process is easy, go to Arnold Clark, ask them to value the car, say yes that's fine, present all the paperwork they require, V5 + mot certificate + service records +personal ID

You will get a used car invoice detailing their payment - bank the payment.

If you are a private individual selling a car to a dealer you have zero responsibilty in law post sale, as long as you have not concealed any pertinant fact, such as you don't actually own the car etc.

A private buyer buying from a private seller has no redress against the seller for faults found after the sale - the buyer can demand and bluster all they like but providing the seller has not mislead the buyer, they have no legal rights - buyer beware!

Anyone SOLD a car to Arnold Clark? - Barry Brand

It's not that easy. Took my Astra SRI 1.4 2014 prviously quoted by Arnold Clark at £5703 on line.

Took car in, which has very low milage at 4yrs old 25500mls. Excellent order all round barring a scratch on the underside of the front bumper. Was told that it would have to be repaired but the "Evaluation Software" only has a tick box for three panel damage and not one panel damage. So they deduct £300 from the previously quoted £5703.???? near 6% of the cars value. Wonder why theres only a three panel damage facility????

Forecourt price of this model £7400. Think thats a very reasonable margin from buy in £5703 to the sell out £7400 without trying to rip you off in a totaly unreasonable way.

Very dissapointed. Will tell others will not be using Arnold Clark again, buying or selling.

Anyone SOLD a car to Arnold Clark? - alan1302

It's not that easy. Took my Astra SRI 1.4 2014 prviously quoted by Arnold Clark at £5703 on line.

Took car in, which has very low milage at 4yrs old 25500mls. Excellent order all round barring a scratch on the underside of the front bumper. Was told that it would have to be repaired but the "Evaluation Software" only has a tick box for three panel damage and not one panel damage. So they deduct £300 from the previously quoted £5703.???? near 6% of the cars value. Wonder why theres only a three panel damage facility????

Forecourt price of this model £7400. Think thats a very reasonable margin from buy in £5703 to the sell out £7400 without trying to rip you off in a totaly unreasonable way.

Very dissapointed. Will tell others will not be using Arnold Clark again, buying or selling.

Except they won't sell for £7,400 as they will have to discount that as someone will come in and ask for it to be £7,000.

If you want more then sell it privately rather than whingeing that a company wants to pay less as your car has damage on it.

Anyone SOLD a car to Arnold Clark? - Avant

Quite simple, Barry - get a quote from Chipsaway or someone similar for repair of the bumper. If it's less than £300, get it repaired. If more, then either accept Arnold Clark's value or see if you can get more elsewhere. Or sell privately.

Are you going to part-exchange your car for another one from Arnold Clark? If so, fine: you'll get a lower price than if you sell it privately but understandably you don't want the hassle.

If you just want to sell it to them and walk away, you'll get a rock-bottom price, or they may not want to buy it at all. Unless it's newish and low-mileage, they won't put it on their forecourt but will sell it to the trade. They don't really want older cars, but they take them in PX so as to make their money selling you a new one.

Anyone SOLD a car to Arnold Clark? - SLO76
I've a lot to thank Arnold Clark for over the years. The firms insanely low trade in valuations on older cars has made me a fair buck. Anything older than 7-8yrs is in joke money territory.

Best recent one was an offer of £50 on a tatty but perfectly serviceable Passat TDi with 6mths Mot against £9k worth of Seat Leon. Punter was £550 better off after I got involved. Another was offered £200 for a mint one owner low mileage Nissan Almera two years ago. Again he ended up with more than that in discount without trading in.

I'm amazed at the number of people who accept buttons for their motors, often they're actually hostile to the idea of flogging to someone like myself to get more money because they see it as a hassle.
Anyone SOLD a car to Arnold Clark? - focussed

I"'m amazed at the number of people who accept buttons for their motors, often they're actually hostile to the idea of flogging to someone like myself to get more money because they see it as a hassle."

Sterotyping I know, but is it the sheepskin coat and trilby that puts them off ?

Anyone SOLD a car to Arnold Clark? - Engineer Andy

I"'m amazed at the number of people who accept buttons for their motors, often they're actually hostile to the idea of flogging to someone like myself to get more money because they see it as a hassle."

Sterotyping I know, but is it the sheepskin coat and trilby that puts them off ?

Honest John bucks the trend!!! To be honest myself, PXing a car really does depend on a) the amount of discount the retailer is offering on the replacement car and b) the level of hassle you wish to go through to sell the existing car separately, either to a dealer that you're not buying the replacement off of or privately.

I suppose it depends on the 'price to change' is and the hassle factor - I don't have any additional parking available so cannot risk selling a car privately, as its likely I'll need it right up until the day of getting the new one and don't wish to park it away from where I live (security). The likelihood of both deals going through on the same day is slim without PXing or auctioning, which doesn't exactly bring a great price itself (never mind then getting from the auction house to the showroom, which could be a LONG way apart).

"Sterotyping I know, but is it the sheepskin coat and trilby that puts them off ?"

Might be time for a makeover... ;-)
Anyone SOLD a car to Arnold Clark? - Farm Girl

I'm not looking to part exchange with Arnold Clark, I've seen their feedback, but on their website there is a section 'sell your car'. After giving a few details, they give you a price which they say is valid for 7 days. I suppose it's much like webuyanycar.com. Anyway, I got a quote, and the price offered is more than reasonable it would allow me to go elsewhere and buy a car cash. Just wondering if anyone had actually gone through this. Is selling a car to them as legendarily awful as buying car from them???

I would imagine there would be something to sign stating that the vehicle is absolutely sound, I'm no mechanic, to me the car runs fine, I've never had any trouble and it has full main dealer service history. What if they find something later that they're not happy with? Am I responsible?

Edited by Farm Girl on 02/05/2017 at 13:02

Anyone SOLD a car to Arnold Clark? - FP

Once you've sold that will be it - no come-back. BUT they may well find a reason to drop their offer when they see the car, rather like WBAC.

Anyone SOLD a car to Arnold Clark? - galileo

As focussed has replied above, a private individual selling to a trader has no responsibility for faults developing later, the trader is presumed to have expertise to examine the vehicle and price it accordingly.

You've nothing to worry about. They've no comeback no matter what they ask you to sign. In the eyes of the law they're the professionals and you're the customer so relax. But don't forget to shop around. Depending on what it is you're selling other dealers will offer on it too.

What is it you're selling anyway and purely out of personal interest (and greed) where are you located?
Anyone SOLD a car to Arnold Clark? - Pete Loxham

I Sold my 335 Xdrive to Arnold Clark on 23rd February, the process was very smooth the car was mint and so they did not move on the price offered whcih was good. They stated on the website that they would pay the price minus a £250 deposit for the V5 if it had a private plate - mine did within 3 working days. I did nto get payment in 3 days, I took the new V5 in on 1st March - I was told the payment would be processed straight away. I called again on 3rd March and they said they were suprised I had not been paid and maybe it was due to the weather, I was told I would be called back. Today 15.25 on 5th March, I have no money, I have had no phone call, I called my contact and was told he was with a customer, he has not since called me back.

I have no car, I am owed over £19,500 and they are not returning my calls, initially the process was good but without payment I am nto happy, the process has been stressful and I would not use them again.

Possibly some pen-pusher in their Scottish HQ can't get in because of the snow - but you are still entitled to an explanation and to have your call returned. Demand to speak to the branch manager.

Edited by Avant on 06/03/2018 at 11:58

Anyone SOLD a car to Arnold Clark? - argybargy

Not with Arnold Clark, but I recently sold a car to Evans Halshaw.

They gave me an online valuation which, like yours was valid for 7 days. I decided to visit their local dealership, "freeze" that price and use it to part ex my existing car, given that I thought their valuation was fair.

It didn't remain fair for long after I actually visited the showroom, and for reasons too tedious to go into once more the sales manager got involved after a price had already been agreed and talked down the part ex value of my old car, on the entirely spurious basis that information they already had about the number of owners had suddenly come to light.

Be prepared for them to reduce their offer because there are cat hairs on the back seat/ a dead fly on the passenger window/ a five pence piece stuck to chewing gum under the driver's seat/ etc etc. Yes, its reasonable for them to make small downward adjustments of the valuation for minor bodywork damage, but no, don't accept hundreds off the value of your car because of factors about ownership/ mileage etc that their valuation tool should already have picked up.

Edited by argybargy on 06/03/2018 at 09:30

Anyone SOLD a car to Arnold Clark? - skidpan

recently sold a car to Evans Halshaw.

When we bought the Note from Evans Halshaw the "we beat WBAC" offer had recently been introduced. We planned to sell the Micra privately, it was almost 8 years old but in as good a state as an 8 year old could be in, since it was was not worth huge money but as a fall back asked the sales chappie for a price should we have no luck selling. He offered about £100 more than WBAC thus we were happy especially since we only expected a couple of hundred more privately. Advertised car on Autotrader and sold within 12 hours and collected 24 hours later, got exactly what I predicted.

Got a call from Evans Halshaw a few days later to say car was on site and ready for collection after the weekend. He went on to tell us that the value of the Micra had dropped £1000 over the past week. Obviously since the car was sold I was not in the least bit interested but I pointed out to him the we beat WBAC deal they had based their original offer on which was still current. All of a sudden he came over all stupid claiming to know nothing about it.

Turns out it was our fault, the Nissan dealer did not do the WBAC offers. Their used car valuations came from the Citroen dealer next door. To get the WBAC offer we should have gone to the Peugeot dealer about a mile away.

I know its a crazy concept but perhaps they should have told us. There was no mention of only certain dealers doing the WBAC offer on the TV adds and despite looking at the adds since I have yet to see this info.

Why spend money on expensive TV adverts and then fail to carry through the offer or direct customers to the correct garage. That is a certain way to ensure competitors get the business.

Anyone SOLD a car to Arnold Clark? - IRC

When my dad stopped driving we sold his car to Arnold Clark.

The price was a bit higher than Webuyanycar, it was local rather than travelling anywhere.

They deducted £150 or so for it being 2 prev owners.

Otherwise great. Only a brief look at the car. Nothing deducted for condition and no impression they were looking for reasons to take money off. Cash in bank 2 days later.

No doubt a private sale could have got more but as a quick sale was needed before his insurance ran out and being local mattered due to dad's mobility I was happy with the transaction.

Edited by IRC on 06/03/2018 at 13:37

Anyone SOLD a car to Arnold Clark? - Detch
I am dipping my toe in the water with this. Surely a reknowned brand like AC has coughed up by now?
Anyone SOLD a car to Arnold Clark? - CK91437

A balance between convenience and price.

As with sandwiches. Buy a sandwich from the shop or put in a bit of graft and make one yourself.

Personal choice.

Anyone SOLD a car to Arnold Clark? - Detch

In the balance of fairness - seeing as there are some odd comments in this thread - I will relate my tale of dealing with Arnold Clark buying my car.

I am astonished. It could not have been easier, I took my car in last Saturday - 12 May - and the money landed in my account today 15 May. I got the exact amount of money the website offered and no hassle over the price.

They were offering £800 more than VW against my new car and between £300 to £500 more then WBAC, etc.

To be fair my outgoing car was in mint condition with only a few minor blemishes. What I did do though was pay to have an alloy refurbished at a cost of £110. On the website the reduction for damage was far too wide ranging, when I put down the wheel was scuffed they effectively knocked off the cost a replacement wheel, which they obviously would never replace. Seeing I was up on my new car deal it was a better option as that would have been the only damage.

It would appear that if the car you try to sell is as described, then you will get the price offered.

Anyone SOLD a car to Arnold Clark? - FiestaOwner

Out of curiosity I entered my car details into Honest John and Arnold Clark's websites.

Arnold Clark's valuation was £920 higher than Honest John's Trade in valuation. I thought the Honest John valuation was realistic.

Actually means when going to the Arnold Clark showroom, you can go in armed with their valuation for your trade in and the price for the car you are interested in (both printed off from their website).

It helps the punter if they know the prices before they go in, especially if not going for finance.

I'll probably give them a try when I next change car, I would go elsewhere if they didn't honour the online trade in valuation (if I had given an accurate description of the car).