Nissan Pulsar for the chop? - daveyK_UK
I'm informed via my Nissan technician friend Nissan are considering stopping the sale of the Pulsar in the UK.

Sales have not been great (the car is not great!), the medium size hatchback market is too competitive, partner Renault have a new Megane out and the other reason (and probably main one considering the poor sales) there is a far bigger mark up for the company on sales of the new Micra which they hope can attract a more varied range of buyers (wishful thinking).
Considering the micra list prices, I can see why they would make considerable profit per car but I'm not sure who in their right kind would pay that much for a rebagged small Renault.

Nissan Pulsar for the chop? - Smileyman

I think the Pulsar is made in Spain (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) whereas other cars like the Micra, Qashqai and Juke are made in the UK ... with the currency exchange rate changes since the Brexit vote this would have changed the competativeness with pricing for the Pulsar - and which would not be affecting the UK built cars to the same extent.

The Pulsar does not seem to be selling so well, back in March when I was looking at a change of car I had several Nissan dealers chasing me with attractive deals for the Pulsar. If the car had a proper opening sunroof I might have been tempted - the warm March weather reminded me why I like sunroofs and did not want to forgo this feature.

Perhaps Nissan needed to put a 1.4 petrol engine into the car (not the 1.6), as witnessed by the positive comments made about the VW Group 1.4 petrol engine.

You are correct, the Pulsar is made in Spain.

The Micra is made in France by Renault.

The Pulsar does come with a good 1.2 turbo charged engine although this engines reputation for reliability is questionable as problems have been reported.

I don't think it's the engine that has caused slow sales, the Pulsar is a bland car and it's main selling characteristic is interior space. While this is a good characteristic, it's not enough in a very crowded hatchback market.
As Nissan don't seem keen to discount the Pulsar long term, sales will continue to struggle. If they priced the Pulsar more competitively they may see an upturn in sales, but this is not how their partners Renault operate. As Renault have shown in recent years, if a car isn't profitable they simply pull it from sale.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 30/04/2017 at 22:32

Nissan Pulsar for the chop? - Engineer Andy

You can buy the Pulsar cheaply, but only via brokers. Prices may have increased due to the falling Pound, but I remember seeing the 1.6 petrol turbo (as quick as the VAG 1.4 TSi 150) in N-Connecta form (good spec) for less than £13k (now around £14.5k), so not a bad discount, maybe more if you pick the right time of year. The 1.2 version about £1300 cheaper. Sadly the far better looking and better trimmed brother from Renault is on sale...as well as many other decent cars that are far better on those fronts and more reliable/better handling.

When I was looking for a car a few months ago I had a quick look at a Pulsar (the garage was next door to the Mazda dealership I use) and I found the steering wheel and pedals to be offset more than I would expect for a C-sector car. The interior (which was the top spec model on show) was decidely low-rent for a car designed only a few years ago (not any better than my 11yo Mazda), and poorly styled inside, barely ok out. I'd personally rather spend my money on a second hand superior car from another make.

Nissan Pulsar for the chop? - Falkirk Bairn

Neighbour has one - 1.5dci ntec so quite a lot of spec - bought it, del miles, 6 mths old for £11.500 2 years ago. No reliability issues, 1 recall for ?? & he harps on about the 50+mpg overall.

I get under 30 in my CRV & he thinks it amusing trying to wind me up

Nissan Pulsar for the chop? - focussed

Neighbour has one - 1.5dci ntec so quite a lot of spec - bought it, del miles, 6 mths old for £11.500 2 years ago. No reliability issues, 1 recall for ?? & he harps on about the 50+mpg overall.

I get under 30 in my CRV & he thinks it amusing trying to wind me up

The boot will be on the other foot when he tries to part-ex it - you'll be able to wind him up!

Nissan Pulsar for the chop? - Avant

I've never discovered why Nissan introduced the Pulsar. The previous conventional hatchback of that size - the Almera - never sold well, so Nissan rightly tried something different, the Qashqai, followed by the Juke.

The Pulsar doesn't seem to have a conspicuous USP, apart perhaps from a bit more room for people in the back. And if that's important, the customer will go for the Qashqai anyway.

Nissan Pulsar for the chop? - Fishermans Bend

Avant, I must disagree. Not everone wants an SUV. Pulsar is hardly exciting to drive yet is a relaxed drive that is exactly the car some desire.

Nissan Pulsar for the chop? - SLO76
The Pulsar was introduced to cover the ground left when Nissan pushed the Qashqai upmarket. It was built down to a price with budget conscious punters and fleet sales in mind but sadly it's never hit the mark.

Bland unappealing styling combined with cheap interior trim which is nowhere near the standard in the Qashqai or rivals like the Astra, Leon etc and its no wonder Nissan have decided to give up on it. They really didn't try hard enough. Competition in the C segment is brutal and the Pulsar just isn't up to it.

It's a good used buy at the right money though. The Renault 1.5 dci is well tried and tested and fit for 200k with care.

Nissan Pulsar for the chop? - Fishermans Bend

Not seen many Skoda Rapids yet Skoda still flog a few.

Nissan Pulsar for the chop? - SLO76

Not seen many Skoda Rapids yet Skoda still flog a few.

Loads of em on as taxis in my area.
The Pulsar was introduced to cover the ground left when Nissan pushed the Qashqai upmarket. It was built down to a price with budget conscious punters and fleet sales in mind but sadly it's never hit the mark. Bland unappealing styling combined with cheap interior trim which is nowhere near the standard in the Qashqai or rivals like the Astra, Leon etc and its no wonder Nissan have decided to give up on it. They really didn't try hard enough. Competition in the C segment is brutal and the Pulsar just isn't up to it. It's a good used buy at the right money though. The Renault 1.5 dci is well tried and tested and fit for 200k with care.

Indeed - given the huge (at one point, brokers were offering over 35% off the price for new ones) discounts that were, and still are (to a lesser degree) still on offer, Nissan should've pitched the car in the £11k - £17k range and forgot about the 'top spec' models, rather like Skoda and Seat have done with their Rapid/Toldeo models. Personally speaking, Nissan went for a gap in the market that just wasn't there: when they left previously after the Almera, the way back was difficult at best, given the rivals on offer as you say.

Not easy to rejoin a market you've been away from for the best part of a decade, especially when Nissan's reliability is now closely associated with Renault's, so when they introduce a blandly-styled car that doesn't go that well, who'd want to shell out over £15k for that?

Why would anyone buy a Nissan Pulsar even with the large discount when you can get a better spec Suzuki Baleno for less money with a better engine and just as much rear leg room?

Nissan Europe are no more than a division of Renault, its sad to see how they have turned out
Why would anyone buy a Nissan Pulsar even with the large discount when you can get a better spec Suzuki Baleno for less money with a better engine and just as much rear leg room? Nissan Europe are no more than a division of Renault, its sad to see how they have turned out

To be honest, many other main Far Eastern makes offer superior cars, and I would go for one of them even if second hand over a new Pulsar, unless I could get one of those 35%+ discounts, and I really needed a new or nearly new car pronto.

Whilst the latest Qashqai is their best effort for a number of years, I agree that its sad that they are a 'second tier' operation now, with very little market share in comparison to the 1980s and 90s. I previously owned a K11 (1996) Micra as my first car - a lovely little thing, and at that time there were loads around, not so many Sunnys & Almeras, but quite a few Primeras, especially the very nice early to mid 90s models, which were (apart from slightly suspect gearboxes) very nice cars indeed and worthy rival to the Mondeo, even in the handling department.

Not sure why they endured financial problems, presumably the reason for their tie-up with Renualt, but they certainly got the worst of the deal in my view over the longer term. A better deal would've been for something similar to that which Mazda went for with Ford, so that eventually they could get back on their own feet again. Sadly, I think that chance has gone, for good. If all Nissans are are essentially re-badged Renaults, then that's sad.

Nissan Pulsar for the chop? - Auristocrat

Nissan got into financial difficulties after deciding to go head to head with Toyota in every market - and losing. Not so much an issue for the UK market, but in Asian markets Nissan lost out big time.

Built up a huge amount of debt as a result. Hence the alliance with Renault.

Edited by Auristocrat on 03/05/2017 at 19:02

Nissan North America and Nissan Japan are still very much their own entity

It's Nissan Europe that has suffered the most