Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - glidermania

Read this in the current HJ column;

"I am leasing a Volvo V40 for a 3-year period from Volvo. (It's a straight lease; no option to purchase). Am I obliged to have the car main dealer serviced, or can I use a local garage using genuine Volvo parts?"

Seriously? You've got a car on lease and return and you dont even know what's in your contract regarding servicing!?

Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - scot22

I have a law degree and sometimes find contract wording unclear. In addition it is sometimes reassuring to find out from others who may be more experienced. Nor do I think the car trade always tries to explain things in an way people can understand.

I have frequently posted what some people would consider simple questions. However, in nearly all cases I have been helped courteously.

Forum should be to help each other, not be offensive.

Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - Mr Carrot Cake

I have a law degree and sometimes find contract wording unclear. In addition it is sometimes reassuring to find out from others who may be more experienced. Nor do I think the car trade always tries to explain things in an way people can understand.

I have frequently posted what some people would consider simple questions. However, in nearly all cases I have been helped courteously.

Forum should be to help each other, not be offensive.

Totally agree. It's healthy to discuss things with others, even the simplest of questions can sometimes end up surprising you with an unexpected answer.

Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - Avant

Agreed absolutely, Scot - the forum is here to help. Everyone is different; everyone has his or her own expertise in some areas and little or none in others. So a question of fact like this isn't a silly question.

Glidermania - you may well be an expert on gliders. I know nothing about them. If I were to ask you how a glider can stay aloft for so long, with no idea on my part except that it's to do with thermals, would you slap me down for being 'thick'?

I could ask another silly question - why did you feel it necessary to start this thread, and for whose benefit?

Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - Falkirk Bairn

OP states he is financed through Volvo- Volvo Car Credit seems to be a trading name /style that is actually Santander & not Volvo.!

Currently there are offers of "free servicing" on Volvo cars - the free services must be done @ a Volvo Franchise. The OP is obviously paying for his service - insisting on going to a Volvo Garage would fly in the face of EU Regs that state a car can be serviced @ ANother garage as long as the corect fluids/filters etc are used the warranty is OK HOWEVER

as far as Santander Finance Agreement he needs to look @ his contract with the Bank BUT I would be surprised if Santander has provided finance which limits your rights to choose the garage (Unfair Contract Terms) - Why not phone Santander & ask - if they insist on a Volvo Franchise ask them for that in a Letter?

Unrelated BUT shows the value of asking for their opinion / decision in writing.

March 2001 - brand new car, 2 weeks later / 700 miles on clock the car is rear ended. Repair is to be done by insurer - I question Body Warranty of manufacturer being invalidated as it was not a Honda approved bodyshop - Insurer says that any repair is guaranteed for the "whole of the time I owned the car" - seemed fair enough so I asked for this in writing........

5 years later @ 90K rust coming through on the tailgate & there were signs of bumper having paint issues on edges (repaired tailgate & replacement bumper). Phone up the Insurer & they tell me to "go away" it was 5 years ago, we limit repairs to 3 years maximum........so I asked for their rejection in writing. A few days later their letter arrived stating what they had said on the phone...............

Photocopied March 2001 letter & 2006 rejection letter & sent it Recorded Delivery - made them an offer of fix it FOC or I put it in the hands of my lawyer.......... car inspected, car uplifted, hire car provided.......took 3 weeks from start to finish to get their payment of the repairs - car traded in some 6 months later looking pristine.

Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - craig-pd130

Unrelated BUT shows the value of asking for their opinion / decision in writing.

March 2001 - brand new car, 2 weeks later / 700 miles on clock the car is rear ended. Repair is to be done by insurer - I question Body Warranty of manufacturer being invalidated as it was not a Honda approved bodyshop - Insurer says that any repair is guaranteed for the "whole of the time I owned the car" - seemed fair enough so I asked for this in writing........

5 years later @ 90K rust coming through on the tailgate & there were signs of bumper having paint issues on edges (repaired tailgate & replacement bumper). Phone up the Insurer & they tell me to "go away" it was 5 years ago, we limit repairs to 3 years maximum........so I asked for their rejection in writing. A few days later their letter arrived stating what they had said on the phone...............

Photocopied March 2001 letter & 2006 rejection letter & sent it Recorded Delivery - made them an offer of fix it FOC or I put it in the hands of my lawyer.......... car inspected, car uplifted, hire car provided.......took 3 weeks from start to finish to get their payment of the repairs - car traded in some 6 months later looking pristine.

Hah! Excellent work, and as you say, highlights the value of getting such things in writing.

FB reading your post has boosted my appreciation of getting things in writing and retaining the evidence, thanks.

Avant you are doing a difficult job on a voluntary basis and I commend the way you walk a very careful line. Your examples of individual differences are perfect. An answer to your question may prove interesting. I'm sure many of us will have benefitted from FBs post which demonstrates the ethos and purpose of the forum, thanks.

Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - Wackyracer

When I bought the Citroen many moons ago the warranty was 12 months with Citroen themselves and the following 2 years with the supplying dealer. While it was allowed to have the car serviced elsewhere using genuine parts sourced from a Citroen dealer, it would have cut the warranty down to 1 year as the dealership wouldn't cover the second and third year unless they serviced the car themselves.

I think the original question to HJ is not a stupid question at all. Big companies like to write things in such a way that they are not always exactly clear and they often answer questions with rather woolly answers not to be specific. With any type of warranty the salesman will tell you happily that everything is covered without a problem, the only time you'll find out is when you try to claim and they try everything they can to wriggle out of their obligation.

Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - Hugh Watt

Without making this too much of a love-in, I'd like to endorse scott22's sentiments completely.

Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - concrete

Agreed absolutely, Scot - the forum is here to help. Everyone is different; everyone has his or her own expertise in some areas and little or none in others. So a question of fact like this isn't a silly question.

Glidermania - you may well be an expert on gliders. I know nothing about them. If I were to ask you how a glider can stay aloft for so long, with no idea on my part except that it's to do with thermals, would you slap me down for being 'thick'?

I could ask another silly question - why did you feel it necessary to start this thread, and for whose benefit?

Hello Avant, did you take advantage of the Volvo year servicing deal when you bought yours? Just curious as to how much it would save if it were available. Cheers Concrete

Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - barney100

Bit strong to accuse the guy of being thick. Forum members should be helpful and polite not insulting.

Without wishing to deviate too much, so I will, it is great to read that so many people believe in good manners and being helpful. Sadly too often in society there is an unpleasant tension. If we all speak up then perhaps courtesy can return. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - Smileyman

perhaps you are the Volvo driver embarassed to say that you are confused by a poorly or confusingly worded comment?

I am sure of one thing, being called "thick" is an unpleasant accusation to receive.

Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - daveyK_UK

perhaps you are the Volvo driver embarassed to say that you are confused by a poorly or confusingly worded comment?

I am sure of one thing, being called "thick" is an unpleasant accusation to receive.

Agree. All contributions should be encouraged

No, I am not the Volvo driver concerned in OP. My Volvo problems are a result of bad fortune/my ignorance when buying. After joining the forum a few years ago I now know much more.

I am someone who believes that people should be encouraged to ask questions if they feel uncertain and wanting to learn more. I also feel that, without wishing to sound grumpy, that society has suffered from a lowering of standards in behaviour. It is not for me to judge, but I will, I feel that nearly all the time this forum is supportive and keen to help. Knowledgeable people give their time to others, like me, can benefit. So thanks to them.

Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - John F

It is a mark of intelligence to ask questions. Really 'thick' people cannot ask questions because their tiny round inkblot of knowledge on the vast surface of available knowledge generates a very short circumference of perceived ignorance. The more you know (inkblot) the more you realise you don't know (expanding circumference of ignorance). This is why some halfwits think they know it all.

Some unfortunate people have virtually no knowledge at all, just various beliefs, which is not the same thing. E.g. I once met someone who thought that squeezing a large half empty lemonade bottle to expel the air then screwing on the cap helped to preserve the fizz.

Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - concrete

I have a new Volvo on a 3 year lease deal. I enquired about the 3 year service offer for either £300 0r £500. I was told the offer is not for lease cars. I stated this was effectively a new car purchase and the offer should be open to all Volvo keepers with a newly registered vehicle. Again refused. I got a load of rubbish about not being the owner and the lease/finance company, which is Volvo itself does not do this unless maintainance is included in the original lease deal. When I pointed out that including maintainance was the price of a good hoilday and nowhere near what actual servicing costs I got another load of gobbledegook. I soon relaised I was dealing with people who did not know or care and were unable to make a decision either way. Still unresolved. Can't think of a valid reason to refuse the service offer, which guarantees Volvo dealers the work, simply because the car is leased as opposed to purchased. It is still a brand new Volvo and moves metal through their network. Baffled.

I have to service the vehicle in accordance with the manufacturers requirements, i.e. annually. I intend to use a local Volvo dealership. This should not be a problem given the low annual mileage I now drive.

Cheers Concrete

Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - piggy

Remember the old adage,"there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers". The OP's question is a case in point.

Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - Manatee

The saying I remember is that the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - JEREMYH

If your throwing away money to lease finance and credit companies

Then the OP has a point and in my veiw a wise man

Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - gordonbennet

We're above being deliberately insulting to genuine posters or correspendants asking questions here, scammers or spammers on the other hand deserve everything they get.

There's loads of things i don't know the answer to, such as what are the real reasons Teresa Cameron has called this snap election, does that make me thick that i don't believe the reasons given, not as i regard any of the leaders of the parties with any respect or trust them to tell the truth either just to balance things.

Not trying to make this a political discussion just making the point that there are umpteen different views on any subject, and i can well understand HJ's correspondents being equally untrusting of convential wisdom or answers so they ask him for his views about cars, his views are often at odds with the mainstream motoring hacks.

Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - Engineer Andy

I don't have any problem with anyone who is confused by an issue (as I think is the case here - as one poster said, who is legally trained, legalese is not the easiest to understand) or has tried to source an answer themselves as best they could before writing in to HJ or members. People I do have a problem with are those peeps who obviously haven't even bother to try and are just using him or us to do their donkey work for them. I used to have a bit more patience for such people, but not any more - I (and I am sure most other members) have better things to do.

Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - oldroverboy.

Personally, I have no problem with people asking questions, as i myself have learned a lot from this and other forums, even after a working life in the motor trade.

Sometimes, However, it would be nice if people "googled " (others are available) before posting... but generally if it is a repeat question, I smile a bit, and think "There but for the grace of god is me.."

Sometimes the best reply to a daft question is no reply at all.

Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - TheBroker

I would say that such a broad statement appears to come from a perspective of little knowledge of the way financing and leasing works.

In some circumstances leasing is unwise or not financially viable, however in other circumstances it is entirely the right thing to do, and certainly does not constitute 'throwing money away'. No less so than renting a house against buying one against mortgaging one. Each option has its merits/affordability according to the individual concerned. And before you state mortgaging is nothing like PCP'ing a car, it is just like that and anyone considering mortgaging a house now may end up in negative equity if we have reached the peak of the housing prices and they now start to fall (as reported in the news recently).

Moral of the story... each persons circumstances are different and a blanket statement has more holes in its argument than Swiss cheese.

All the Best,
TheBroker

It is often the case that lease deals don't get 'retail' deal extras like free insurance etc.
I agree though it is odd. Sometimes it is better to take a service plan instead of full maintenance and we have recommended this to customers when suitable.

With regards to servicing stipulations whilst under the EU legislation a warranty cannot be voided by virtue of the car not having main dealer service History, the finance company (even dealer finance) can stipulate with whom it must be serviced as this is simple contract terms and nothing to do with warranty etc. The terms under servicing/maintenance will very clearly state this MBFS pretty much red flag it for the avoidance of any doubt, along with the financial consequences of failing to adhere to the terms.

TheBroker
Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - Serial Car Changer
Referring to anyone as 'thick' is a serious insult. If the op has no advice to give then don't comment, end of. It's offensive and ignorant posters like this that prevent others joining in, asking questions and being a part of the HJ forum and others like it.
Bullying in all its forms is abuse. Bet the op was the school bully.
Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - barney100

I taught clarinet and sax all my working life and one of the first things I would say to a new pupil was don't be afraid to ask anything. If a person is in doubt it's braver to ask than be silent and remain confused.

Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - glidermania

Goodness me, another classic!

"We have a problem with the ABS of our 2007 VW Touran. We had a mechanic look at it and he says the pump is working but the pressure sensor is indicating a fault. Can you let us know if we can get VW to fund the cost of replacement or repair?"

Er, how about no?

Silly enough question given the age of the car, but maybe a reasonable one to reply to given the evidently widespread nature of that particular issue, and the availability of a more affordable repair. Mind, HJ does misspell the link...

Edited by Slow Eddie on 06/05/2017 at 14:25

Are people writing to HJ really this thick? - Engineer Andy

Goodness me, another classic!

"We have a problem with the ABS of our 2007 VW Touran. We had a mechanic look at it and he says the pump is working but the pressure sensor is indicating a fault. Can you let us know if we can get VW to fund the cost of replacement or repair?"

Er, how about no?

The question might not be as 'dumb' as you might think - it may have been more valid if the person had said they'd bought it 9 months ago from a VW main dealer, though as with HJ's reply, a 10yo car can hardly be expected to be bullet-proof in terms of reliability: the dealer 1yr warranty would cover a reasonable amount of items, but not all, given some are difficult to see coming and certain 'wear and tear' items can vary quite a bit when they wear out, dependent upon the driving style/type of usage of all owners as well as the mileage.

It is sad that gildermania has given time to look through the forum to see if he can find anything to sneer at. As the two following posts show there are other factors to take into account. The more people know the more considerate and thoughtful they tend to be in their answers.

Also, perhaps a poster does not express him/herself as they intend - I blame the schools.

There are times when something like this might be covered if it was subject to a recall that was never carried out on that vehicle.

many years ago my neigbour had an old Datsun that he got serviced at a local indy garage, he got a letter from the local maindealer saying his car was on a list of cars that had not had some recall done on it and they replaced quite a bit of the front suspension for free.

Glidermania, did you not read the comments earlier in this thread from myself and others?

If you make unnecessarily offensive comments like this again, without answering my question of why you are doing it, I'll disable your account.

I am not sure that Glidermania's comments come under offensive.. sarcastic certainly, (having received a dimiliar response a few years back concerning the wrong oil in my epica at an oil change..)

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=87432

Reply from Avant.. kettle and black.. ribbing...

chevrolet epica vcdi - servicing - Avant

I'm curious as to how you spotted it was the wrong grade.

Did you open the filler cap and sniff knowingly, like a wine expert? Or was the sound of the engine ever so subtly different?

Perhaps, more prosaically, they stated the grade on the invoice.

I'd guess that most of us don't have a clue as to what sort of oil they put in at a service - let alone whether it's the right sort.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 08/05/2017 at 19:52

Avant - bear in mind we're not the snowflake generation! I quite like hearing harsh opinions; stirs up a bit of discussion...

I respect honest and direct posts providing they are written courteously. Like many born in the 194know how much weight to a0's I am not a 'snowflake', To refer to people as thick is offensive. It is a delicate line to tread on allowing strongly expressed opinion but stopping when it crosses over to becoming rude.

Glidermania does not appear to answer questions. Avant asked why he had posted. I have asked elsewhere about his level of experience and knowledge - a polite question.

Just to add : it might be helpful to have a brief profile of posters so you could know how much weight to give their opinions. I know from some posts you can tell if they have deep knowledge or, from mine, someone simple but thoughtful.

You can have my profile Scot, old hand scrat back sided lorry driver of some 40 years full time now not far off retirement, spent 20 years driving car transporters till about 7 years ago, used to be a kerbside cowboy in spare time too between and after 60 and 75 hour weeks on the lorries back in the days when parents had to fund and raise their own families and mortgage interest rates of 10 to 15%, voted Brexit this time, voted No last time, voted UKIP a few times, won't bother voting again, no one worth bothering with.

Not a snowballs hope in hell you are a snowflake, you listen to the opinion of others even if you don't agree with them, the snowflakes can't possibly manage that yet bleat about free speech, they aint big on irony are they, they can't even cope with Germaine Greer that well know extremist right winger, so God help them with what is coming to this country in their lifetimes.

Edited by gordonbennet on 08/05/2017 at 22:59

Thanks Gordon - I always try to be respectful.

Your motoring experience is very valuable for the forum. I've spent/am spending my life in education. Very mundane driving experience but passed Advanced Motorists. My obsession in motoring is road safety.

I have made many poor buys but a few years ago joined the forum (my contributions the voice of the innocent ) and have learned a lot from people like you, Problemis is now find it difficult so buy another car - my wishes and car problems/weak points !

I have made many poor buys but a few years ago joined the forum (my contributions the voice of the innocent ) and have learned a lot, Problemis is now find it difficult so buy another car - my wishes and car problems/weak points !

haven't we all made poor buys, and we'll do it again.

If i was going to buy a modern car, and the chances of that are minimal for various reasons, it would probably be a petrol Subaru which i would get LPG converted or a hybrid Toyota/Lexus (not the latest shapes mind, strewth), mainly because i trust those to be worthwhile reliable and durable but also because almost nothing else made in the last few years appeals to me, i do not envy you trying to choose when so many cars seem to have ticking time bomb faults.

In your shoes (and if i had your money :-)) i'd probably keep an eye on Lings Cars and when she has a real lease bargain, they do come up very cheap sometimes, i'd snap the right deal up run it for a couple or three years whatever the deal is and then see whats about next, maybe rinse and repeat, maybe electric will be coming of age then i don't know, but your costs are fixed, no nasty surprises unless you damage the car in some way and have to get it sorted before return.

I'd like to think we at least learn something from them.

I'd like to think we at least learn something from them.

Ditto, and have learned to avoid modern diesels, ( I got rid of the Epica at the right time) steered clear of DSG's and not bought anything else GM or European...

Have had Kia's for 2 and half years now an zero problems.. (touch wood ! )

all with the help of the forum.

Indeed we do learn from our mistakes but there's always something new and apparently wonderful being launched which is better than everything that went before, lauded as marvellous before its earned such praise, so it's a constant learning curve, pure electric is the latest new kid on the block and they might be a great choice for some people for some of their use, but when they go on the road in volume i can see recharging being a massive problem.

SLO76 i must mention, has been great asset to the forum, his honest appraisals and invaluable comments about avoiding certain engines/gearboxes and confirmation of good bet buys have been gold dust here, when dealers avoid something like the plague then thats a sure sign it's worth us avoiding too, though i suspect his comments arn't quite as welcome in some of the car trade (especially the Diesel car sellers) as they are with us mere punters mind.. -)

I'm a bit surprised he hasn't already got a column somewhere, or a website, even a youtube channel (maybe he has one or more) where he could make a nice little living out of appraising cars for joe public, hmm some makers might even pay him not to broadcast....SLO76 if this is food for thought commission gratefully received ...:

Edited by gordonbennet on 10/05/2017 at 08:46

In your shoes (and if i had your money :-)) i'd probably keep an eye on Lings Cars and when she has a real lease bargain, they do come up very cheap sometimes,

Not on commission are you?

Strewth I purposefully keep quiet about my business so that people know I'm here to give useful independent advice, and would love a free plug (cue Avant).

TheBroker

Just as I receive no commission for recommending Bosch approved Car Service Centres : I trust completely Gordon will have no other motivation ( I suspect you were tongue-in-cheek )

I would quite like some way to contact posters who can give professional advice.

Just as I receive no commission for recommending Bosch approved Car Service Centres : I trust completely Gordon will have no other motivation ( I suspect you were tongue-in-cheek )

I would quite like some way to contact posters who can give professional advice.

Yes tongue in cheek ????
Not on commission are you?

TheBroker

No, afraid not, if i visited Lings website more than once a year i'd probably have a some sort of fit..:

My son had originally ordered a seriously hot Seat Leon from the good lady, due to unforseen circs a member of the family didn't need their similar hot hatch for near enough the term he was going to lease for, contacted Ling fully expecting to have to pay quite a penaltyif could cancel at all, which i should add he would have paid without quibble, but she found another customer very pleased to be able to get that particular bargain price and only charged my son a minimal admin charge.

Ling did not need to have done that, could have charged the full fee and pocketed the difference, she did not do that she behaved honourably and has gone up yet another notch in my book.

Your posts have been well received here Broker, and i expect if someone wanted to avail themselves of your services then Avant would put the poster requesting in touch via email, same as he would if any two of us posters wanted to privately correspond.

Scot, my post was only mildly tongue in cheek, if i was looking for a modern fairly mainstream car (almost laughable because i really don't like the things, but thats me) i'd be scouring all sorts of brokers and leasers for the right deal on a new car in my shortlist, some chap got lucky and got that hot Seat for about the same cost as a normal model and without the normal wait, so real bargains do crop up..they say money goes to money and i naturally assumed being or having been a senior master in the teaching profession that you wouldn't be short of a bob or two...now that was tongue in cheek :-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/05/2017 at 15:55

Like your sense of humour Gordon. I was meaning The Broker being tongue-in-cheek.

I believe strongly that if you have had good service you should give it the publicity/praise it deserves ; to show it is appreciated and encourage continued good service. Too often people only moan about even the slightest thing. It is much better, in my view, to highlight positive things ( where criticism is deserved then give it ).

It's quite easy to spot the difference between one of you naming someone or something that's given you good service and a spammer making a feeble attempt at a free advert.

One obvious difference is that you regulars are literate!