Nissan Qashqai - Radiator hoses -when do they need changing? - Ethan Edwards

Five years old and hard as a rock. I think they should be changed. What do you guys think?

Nissan Qashqai - Radiator hoses -when do they need changing? - oldroverboy.

Ask a Nissan dealer but advice on the US nissan forum is to replace.

Nissan Qashqai - Radiator hoses -when do they need changing? - RichardW

Never?

Not changed a radiator hose in the last 20 years / 500k of car ownership, and none of them has been <5 years old or under 60k!

Nissan Qashqai - Radiator hoses -when do they need changing? - John F

Never. All the hoses on my 1980 TR7 (owned by me since 1981) are original - as is the fan belt..... and the spare I have carried for 36yrs!

Nissan Qashqai - Radiator hoses -when do they need changing? - Ethan Edwards

I'm guessing that unlike myself you have never spent a happy few hours of your life by the side of the cold A12 (with thundering traffic whizzing past) waiting for the AA to come and replace a hose and refill your Rad. I suspect one experience like that and you might have a different viewpoint. Sounds like your an extremely lucky person then. I'm not.

So the technical wisdom is ..:

Yes- replace ....to

No - Rubber hoses under high pressure and temperature last for ever and are stronger than steel.

Rather begs the question why we aren't all driving round in Rubber cars....

I'm going to ask the dealer for the first one.

Thanks,

Nissan Qashqai - Radiator hoses -when do they need changing? - Wackyracer

It should be fairly easy to assess their condition, take the coolant cap off so there is no pressure in the system and give them a squeeze, if you see cracks then maybe change them?

I would think they should be good for more than 5 years unless they were from a bad batch.

Nissan Qashqai - Radiator hoses -when do they need changing? - elekie&a/c doctor
If this is a Diesel engine car,then you are probably looking at the wrong hoses.the 2 solid type pipes at the top of the engine are the turbo intercooler pipes ,nothing to do with the water coolant system.
Nissan Qashqai - Radiator hoses -when do they need changing? - John F

I'm guessing that unlike myself you have never spent a happy few hours of your life by the side of the cold A12 (with thundering traffic whizzing past) waiting for the AA to come and replace a hose and refill your Rad.

You guess right.

So the technical wisdom is ..:

Yes- replace ....to

No - Rubber hoses under high pressure and temperature last for ever and are stronger than steel.

I guess you were indeed unlucky, or had inferior quality hoses. I have just inspected my TR7's excellent original equipment hoses - all supple and no sign of cracking. The temperature can never get really high and the pressure is only about 15 psi - and it has never boiled.

Nissan Qashqai - Radiator hoses -when do they need changing? - Peter.N.

I would concur, in the olden days hoses failed for a pastime, I had my fair share but I don't think I have needed to change one in the last 30 years. The ususal problem used to be no only poor quality hoses compared with modern ones but also that cars used to boil at the drop of a hat and it was and the pressure would just split them.

If your hoses really are rock hard I would suspect a leaking head gasket.