Toyota Avensis Tourer 2.0 D-4D T4 2009 (2009-2015) - Steering Column "Knock" - BigNorm

Hey guys!

When turning the steering wheel, I'm getting a light 'knock'. With my attention now being more drawn to this issue, it sounds like I've also got a quiet 'rattle' in that area, underneath the steering column too - it's not too bad, but I am fussy; the sound sounds like... perhaps, when track rods ends would wear in a car (if you know what I mean).

For insurance reasons, I may need to sell my car, so I do not want to spend on it. But at the same time I would not want to place my lovely car on the market with obvious repairs being required.

Someone told me, as a start, to check the steering fluid. I cant seem to find it!!

Ideas, comments, and pointers welcome - and THANKS!

Toyota Avensis Tourer 2.0 D-4D T4 2009 (2009-2015) - Steering Column "Knock" - Cyd

Check the steering UJ.

Toyota Avensis Tourer 2.0 D-4D T4 2009 (2009-2015) - Steering Column "Knock" - BigNorm

Thanks, but what is "UJ"?

Toyota Avensis Tourer 2.0 D-4D T4 2009 (2009-2015) - Steering Column "Knock" - galileo

Thanks, but what is "UJ"?

Google search will show you pictures, as will Wilipedia.

Toyota Avensis Tourer 2.0 D-4D T4 2009 (2009-2015) - Steering Column "Knock" - HensTeeth

UJ is short for Universal Joint.

Might be worth checking you're not covered by the recall for steering issues too: www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/miscellaneous/2012-11/to.../