Japanese perfecting ugly design - Fishermans Bend

gordonbennett recently touched on this with Toyota, normally manufacturer of simple, inoffensively designed vehicles. Now the Avenis is ugly as sin, previous one looked awful enough, best was the first, the revised Carina version.

Infiniti, hope they are not around that long. www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/1704/infiniti-qx80-conce...k

Japanese perfecting ugly design - SLO76
This is one area where the Japanese are sadly lacking with the possible exception of Mazda who've produced some distinctive and handsome cars over the years.

Mk I MX5, though it was a none too subtle copy of the Lotus Elan. Xedos 6 and 9 were pretty good looking in my opinion as was the RX7 in most incarnations and the MX3 and 6. The current 6 is also an attractive big car to my eyes too.

Toyota seem to be attempting to inject a bit of character to their otherwise dull range but are succeeding only in making their cars downright ugly. The Auris, Hi Lux, LandCruiser and GT86 ars the only innofensive designs in their showrooms right now and none are exactly lookers.

I'm no fan of Suzukis current Vitara or the latest Swift from the pictures. Though the new Ignis has much to admire, it's hardly a beauty.

The current Subaru range is as bland as they come too. The legacy estate used to be a handsome big wagon but no more. The original Impreza was quite easy on the eye too.

It's a wonder why they've never learned that style sells. Look at some God awful cars over the years which have sold well purely because they looked good. Best example that springs to mind is the Peugeot 206 which was never a good car and certainly not a patch on the 205 or 306 but it sold in huge numbers. Far outselling any small Jap offerings of the time.

Vauxhall Calibra, another flawed but attractive car that sold very well.

Japanese perfecting ugly design - mss1tw

I saw what can only be described as a new 'My BIg Fat Gypsy Hilux' the other day and wondered if it was standard. Sounds like it may have been

The recipe was: Take chrome, and add more chrome to that chrome.

Japanese perfecting ugly design - Engineer Andy

gordonbennett recently touched on this with Toyota, normally manufacturer of simple, inoffensively designed vehicles. Now the Avenis is ugly as sin, previous one looked awful enough, best was the first, the revised Carina version.

Infiniti, hope they are not around that long. www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/1704/infiniti-qx80-conce...k

The Inifniti 'car' looks like a bigger version of the KIA (it's got no) Soul.

I think all the decent Japanese car stylists have all gone to work for Mazda. Very few other Japanese makes have any what I'd call stylish cars, with a few exceptions.

To be fair, the Infinity Q50 isn't that bad a looking car, though in theory it borrow the engine and perhaps some other underpinnings from Mercedes, it does seem to resemble the C Class Coupe (a good looking car in its own right) quite closely. The Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ looks good from the outside, not so much on the inside, which IMO appears to resemble a tacky 1980s hot hatch.

Most of the rest (other than Mazdas - all ok or good lookers) look either bland, weird (e.g. the new Toyota C-HR), mean (new Honda Civic) or, in my view (sorry Nissan), just plain ugly (the Juke).

Japanese perfecting ugly design - Mr Carrot Cake

The GT86 is brilliant to drive though, which is the most important thing. probably why Top Gear have chosen it as the car the stars drive around the track this season.

Japanese perfecting ugly design - Avant

At least the Hilux and the Land Cruiser are meant to be functional, so what they look like isn't crucial.

It's hard to understand the logic behind designs that manage to be plug-ugly AND have appalling rear visibility - e.g. Toyota CHR, Honda HRV and new Nissan Micra. I shudder to think what 80-year-old Peggy Punter will reverse into if she swaps her old Nissan Micra for a new one.

Japanese perfecting ugly design - Mr Carrot Cake

The new Swift looks good. Looks like a much better option than the Micra.

Agree Avant.

She'll be sold one with parking sensors/camera, IMO, just an opportunity for designers not to give a stuff about visibility.

Japanese perfecting ugly design - Terry W

The UK is but one market the Japanese sell to.

Design may be optimised for potentially much bigger markets than the UK or northern Europe - India, China, N.America where perceptions of good design, road conditions and status may be very different. What N Europeans regard as bling and inconsequential features could be perceived as desirable.

Just consider the last few decades in this country where motoring luxury could be defined as sleek, functional, minimalistic vs wood, leather and wilton.

My personal dislike is the Nissan Juke with pointless curves, low functionality (eg boot opening) and bling over quality materials.

Japanese perfecting ugly design - gordonbennet

Toyota can do it right, you only have to look at US/Japan Camry and Japan Crown, handsome cars, as is the Century in it's don't care about fashion look which didn't really alter for about 20 years.

What they were thinking letting the apprentice loose on Lexus range over the last 4 or 5 years i can't understand, go back to 2008 or so and look up a 460LS and compare.

That Infinit Brick Fishermans Bend linked to should come with a health warning, what is once seen cannot be unseen, it's giving Bentley Bentayga a run for its money in the what were they thinking or taking at the time stakes.

There's not much i find attractive in modern cars, as Avant mentions if you're going to make it butt ugly it might at least have something useful like visibility to make up for it.

Japanese perfecting ugly design - badbusdriver

I have a soft spot for ugly cars, especially if they are good designs with regard to their intended purpose. I loved the fiat multipla which was just so practical and well thought out, with 6 full sized seats, a big boot and a low window line so that kids could actually see out. But, it was far too weird (ok, ugly) for vanity obsessed buyers!

I have to say, as much as i dont like SUV's, i do like the look of the subaru XV. It has a real pugnacious look about it.

Shame it doesnt actually seem to be very good!

Japanese perfecting ugly design - gordonbennet

Don't remind me about Multipla, they were a nightmare to put on the transporter, with almost every other car when reversing on you'd look out the window and guide yourself via the position of the rear wheels on the decks, but with Multipla rear track being narrower than the front if you did that you'd crab it off the side.

I too don't mind functional, what i can't abide is cars that look like some 17 year old has been sent down to the accessory shop to buy up the closing down sale rivet on plastic or chromed spoiler tat, that's exactly what the latest Lexus look like to me, garish.

If you had problems with the multipla just be thankful they were not old citroens like the DS and CX where the rear track was MUCH narrower than the front!.

Im right with you on the lexus though, that grill is way too ott for my liking. The current, very shortly to be replaced, honda civic type r is another. I was in a honda dealership a couple of months ago with my wife ordering her new jazz. There was a type r right next to us, and i remember thinking,'hmm, my brother would like this' ,being a boy racer at heart! (my 15 year old son thinks his uncle dresses like a 1st year student despite being 47!)

Multipla was a very clever design, influenced by one of the world's most beautiful and clever creatures. :)

Japanese perfecting ugly design - daveyjp
After years of producing some absolutely hideous looking cars I thought Ssangyong had finally sacked their awful design team.

Then today I saw a Tivoli XLV and realised the remnants of that team still haunt the corridors of the company.
Japanese perfecting ugly design - Auristocrat

Ssangyong is Korean - now owned by the Indian comapany, Mahindra & Mahindra.

Japanese perfecting ugly design - Stanb Sevento

Ive got to say I agree with just about everything thats been said in this thread. Over the top, contrived, trying too hard styling just turns me right off. Interiors as well, if the dash doesnt look like a 90s gettoblaster the upholstery looks as if it came out of mother care. No restraint or subtlety what so ever and like Terry W I put the Juke at the top of my list, it actually makes me laugh out loud.

I put myself in the " old f***" camp of styling and look at these cars in that light but maybe if I was 18 I would see it diferently and be drooling over their looks. The trouble with this very fashonable styling is it looks very dated very quickly while more conservative styling matures more gracefully, just like me.

Edited by Stanb Sevento on 15/04/2017 at 00:30

Japanese perfecting ugly design - ExA35Owner

Some cars from the past would give these a run for their money. Citroen Ami, anyone?

Japanese perfecting ugly design - Avant

If you want to see pure, unadulterated ugliness, click on Classics on this site and put "toyota will vi" into the search engine in the top right hand corner (or indeed Google it). That one was too ugly even for the Japanese market.

Japanese perfecting ugly design - Ethan Edwards

Marmite obviously.

I happen to like the new Ignis a lot. Must be a minority opinion.

Japanese perfecting ugly design - SLO76

Marmite obviously.

I happen to like the new Ignis a lot. Must be a minority opinion.

I kinda like it too, it has character yet the Celerio is plain ugly.

Ethan, I like it too. Rear end quite clearly inspired by the cute SC100 Whizzkid from 1980.

Me too, and i love the fact that it is extremely light!