VW Golf - EGR Valve - Dee Taylor

New member here just looking for some advice.

My Golf had the emissions update applied by my VW dealership a couple of months back. Car had no big issues before that. Car has a full service history and is well looked after

Now Im getting engine management light and car suddenly experiences go slow/loss of power. The independent garage I get my annual servie with have tested car and found that the egr needs to be taken out and a new one put in. Has anyone any advice in that it could be the dealers update that did it?

VW Golf - EGR Valve - elekie&a/c doctor
Let's put it this way,you are more likely to get an egr failure on a Vag car than a puncture.Sadly not related to the fix,but worth asking the dealer.
VW Golf - EGR Valve - gordonbennet

Do lots of research online about this, some owners who have gone in forcefully have had quite generous (well generous for the maker concerned) goodwill offers, others who despite full histories but maybe didn't make so much of a scene ended up with bills over £1000.

If its been maintained fully (preferably at the main dealer) and isn't years out of warranty, then some good will should be granted if you kick up a fuss, but i would get any contribution sorted before letting them start to dismantle the car, because the difference in cost between the main dealer charging you the full whack, and a competent indy charging a fair price, could well be your contribution at the dealer with goodwill.

Sharpen you spear and your sword to a razor edge and polish your shield, onward.

VW Golf - EGR Valve - Railroad.

The only way the EGR valve would cause a loss of power is if it was either stuck open or opening when it should be closed, such as at idle or during acceleration. So unless the dealer re-map has altered the parameters of the EGR system I can't see this problem being related. In any case I wouldn't waste your money taking it to an independent garage, because changing the EGR will most likely solve nothing. If the problem is a software issue they will never be able to address it. Go back to the dealer and take it up with them.

Well it seems it is related to the fix. On further reading the update messes with the EGR valve in that it opens and forcibly shuts the valve. It also makes it work 3 or 4 times harder than it usually does (not to mention constant regeneration Im getting with the car now).

Seems there arte thousands of people in the same boat and its having issues in all of Europe and Australiatoo

A call to VW meant my car being towed and having the EGR valve replaced at no cost to me.Car is not under warranty (its a 2011).

Strange they agreed to sort it if its nothing to do with their damn update! Now they have wrecked a perfectly good car!

Word of advice to anyone else having issues after the fix - get V W to sort it and dont pay a thing!

VW Golf - EGR Valve - Railroad.

The entire and sole purpose of the EGR system is for the reduction of harmful emissions, NOx in fact. It could be that the software update makes more use of EGR so to comply with the latest emission requirements, and if this is the case then don't be surprised when other car manufacturers have the same issues.

The software update is voluntary though so I dont think VW apply the update to comply with anything. If ,as they claim, no cheat devices were fitted to UK cars, then why the need for this update?

I didnt know it was voluntary at the time of mine getting done. The letetrs they send out have the DVSA logo on them and also does not mention its up to the driver whether or not they want it done.

VW Golf - EGR Valve - E27002

Well it seems it is related to the fix. On further reading the update messes with the EGR valve in that it opens and forcibly shuts the valve. It also makes it work 3 or 4 times harder than it usually does (not to mention constant regeneration Im getting with the car now).

Seems there arte thousands of people in the same boat and its having issues in all of Europe and Australiatoo

A call to VW meant my car being towed and having the EGR valve replaced at no cost to me.Car is not under warranty (its a 2011).

Strange they agreed to sort it if its nothing to do with their damn update! Now they have wrecked a perfectly good car!

Word of advice to anyone else having issues after the fix - get V W to sort it and dont pay a thing!

The Notice of Violation served on VW by the US authorities included the illegal defeat device AND that VW had manipulated OBDII the diagnostics/fault montoring system of the car ECU. THE OBDII software was seemilngly altered to suppress or ignore faults in the car which occured while the car is driven. Perhaps the emissions fix also restores the OBDII software to 100% functionality, therefore in the case of the EGR faults for example, the EGR had been faulty long before the software fix, but never detected by the "brain-damaged" OBDII ECU code.

VW Golf - EGR Valve - Stanb Sevento

Almost certaily caused by the emissions update, hundreds of people in the same position but thankfully VAG seem to be accepting this now and replacing it foc. The updated software uses the EGR valve a lot more than before and that seems to trigger the failure.

So many are having this done the part is in short supply so may take a few days to get it.

If you are on facebook join the group below and see hundreds with the same problem.

The Volkswagen Diesel Customer Forum (Emissions Scandal)

Edited by Stanb Sevento on 13/04/2017 at 23:48

Thanks for the FB link. I'll have a look

VW Golf - EGR Valve - 3uga

You could easily clean out the egr. If you have the tools you can clean the egr valve with some stove/oven cleaner. It usualy does the job.
Spray the egr, let it sit 1 minute then rinse it with water. Be carefun as to not dabage the electrical part.

VW Golf - EGR Valve - Big John

You could easily clean out the egr. If you have the tools you can clean the egr valve with some stove/oven cleaner. It usualy does the job.
Spray the egr, let it sit 1 minute then rinse it with water. Be carefun as to not dabage the electrical part.

You used to be able to do this on older EGR valves but now they are fully integrated and water coolded the later VAG diesel EGR's are very difficult to get at and removal involves major spanner work including dropping the exhaust, removal of the DPF , disconnecting a drive shaft and dropping the engine slightly

VW Golf - EGR Valve - 3uga

You used to be able to do this on older EGR valves but now they are fully integrated and water coolded the later VAG diesel EGR's are very difficult to get at and removal involves major spanner work including dropping the exhaust, removal of the DPF , disconnecting a drive shaft and dropping the engine slightly

This is where I usualy go WTF?!
Not going to buy a VW any time soon...