Bmw 1 series - Premum Brand used cars repair/maint costs. - Dazl1212
are they much dearer to repair and maintain if you were to use Generic parts from say Euro car parts etc?

Edited by Dazl1212 on 05/04/2017 at 10:33

Bmw 1 series - Premum Brand used cars repair/maint costs. - RobJP

Maintenance costs for any car will be virtually identical : oil, oil filter, air filters, spark plugs all cost similar figures, whether you're buying for a Ford or BMW. Low-volume cars such as Subaru might be a bit more for servicing consumables.

As to repair costs, the most important factor is not to have things go wrong in the first place. After all, not having to do a repair is cheaper than having to do one, no matter what make of car.

So, regular preventative maintenance, driving with 'mechanical sympathy', investigating odd noises rather than just hoping they'll fix themselves, all those things add up to reducing the costs of repairs by reducing the need for repairs.

Unfortunately, most people don't look at it that way. They see a car that is working, so they just carry on using it. That weird grumble when they release the clutch pedal is nothing to worry about - after all, the car still drives ...

Bmw 1 series - Premum Brand used cars repair/maint costs. - SLO76
Most day to day service items won't be that much more expensive but BMW's are less reliable than most mainstream makes and the 4cyl petrol and diesel models are notorious for timing chain failure which will be costly to put right.

Also while there are many cheaper aftermarket suppliers for the likes of suspension components you'll find the handling compromised in a way that you wouldn't notice on a less complex mainstream model. Any older 1 or 3 series I've driven after non-manufacturer suspension components have been fitted was noticeably unbalanced. It's a complex suspension setup which requires correct manufacturer quality parts to maintain.

You keep coming back to premium brand cars on your tight budget and we keep advising you to rethink. I suggest this is something you need to get out of your system via a hugely costly lesson in how not to buy a cheap car. A high mileage 1 or 3 series 2.0 petrol or diesel should provide all the required education you need.

If you can find the back copy of Car Mechanics where they bought an E46 320d at auction for £1,700 and then had to spend thousands on it to make it into a viable motor it may help put you off BMW. Their conclusion was that cheap BMW's are not a sensible budget option in any way shape or form.

After 22 years of buying and selling cars I'll remind you of my oft used words of advice when buying a cheap used motor... keep it simple.
Bmw 1 series - Premum Brand used cars repair/maint costs. - pd

I would echo much of what has been written above.

The problems is that because the likes of BMW have an "image" firstly, for any given price point the car you buy will be older and higher mileage than some other alternatives. This usually means it will be nearer the end of its life and will need more money spending on it.

Furthermore this is not mitigated by them being any better built or more reliable, On the contrary there is a long list of quite major common faults various models and engine combos suffer from. Just look through some online resources to find the sort of stuff I'm talking about.

At high mileage and a few years old I can think of a long list of French cars I'd take a gamble on rather than a Beemer...

If you are handy with a spanner and know your cars well then they can be run on a reasonable budget but the simple fact is most in your price range already have a long list of faults which have built up over the years due to the last owner not having the means or the wish to spend big keeping it in top order.

By all means buy one but please go into it with your eyes open.

I take it this would apply to Mercedes C-CLass etc.

I might just go with a Celica or Hyundai Coupe if i want something nice looking and reliable.

What do you NEED your car to be and do, and what is your budget ?

Buying a 'sporty looking' or 'premium brand'car - and paying considerably more just to look trendy - is idiocy if you are on a tight budget.

Buy the best car you can - the best being the most reliable, newest, lowest mileage - that fits what you actually NEED a car to do. Not what you WANT a car to be, but what you NEED it to be.

The old Hyundai coupes are all getting old now - the same will apply to a Celica if it's the same budget.

How 'sporty' is it going to look if it's broken down on the side of the road ?

Celica is quite a good shout *if* you can find a non-abused, well looked after non-modified example.

Some early 1.8 140s suffered with excessive oil consumption and the clutches can wear at relatively low mileages but overall they are pretty reliable.

Good condition, low mileage examples are actually firming up in price these days.

I just need it to get me to and from work and the usual run around kind of stuff. Ive seen some pretty low milage Coupes for decent prices. Im driving a 1.4 HDI Peugeot 307 HDI 53 plate on 132k, so an upgrade on that really. If it looks nicel, like the Coupes do and gets me to work then I'll be happy.
I take it this would apply to Mercedes C-CLass etc. I might just go with a Celica or Hyundai Coupe if i want something nice looking and reliable.

Very much so. The C Class of this vintage was very poorly built and you'll notice few early 01-03 models still on the road while there are loads of old Honda's, Mazda's, Toyota's etc etc. Merc and BMW are not worthy of the names they have. Their cars were once pillars of robust long lasting quality but cars built from the early 90's onwards are largely nothing like. Hyundai Coupe is ok, simple and straightforward mechanically but a bit dull to drive despite the looks. Celica is a cracker if you can find a good one, sadly most have been abused. Honda Civic 2.0 Type S and Mazda 3 2.0 Sport are both great sub £3k options.

I'd actually take an early W203 C-Class over an E46 of the same era anyday. If you look there are actually quite a few Y-51 and 02 plate era ones about.

The worst thing is they rust. All W203s do and the early ones can be bad. It is mainly cosmetic but can end up on every panel.

Other than that they have electrica gremlins but rarely anything serious and the diesel are quite low tech for the era with an engine designed for a Van - they have diesel issues but less than some.

Petrols can suffer from noisy timing chains, oil in the wiring loom and air leaks.

Autos are more reliable than most but they benefit from an oil change. They're all prone to springs snapping.

Still, if reliability is your thing you'd be better off with a Toyota on average.

"I'd actually take an early W203 C-Class over an E46 of the same era anyday. If you look there are actually quite a few Y-51 and 02 plate era ones about."

Agree that they're more robust than an E46 but they're almost non-existent up here in Scotland thanks to rot and some expensive dealer only parts. I didn't rate them new, the interior quality in particular was poor compared to a Ford Focus or Astra of similar vintage and refinement sadly lacking from the tractor like 4cyl diesels and ancient 4cyl petrols most of which had been updated simply with the addition of a supercharger. Good auto box and petrol engines were generally robust but superchargers have a limited lifespan.
Bmw 1 series - Premum Brand used cars repair/maint costs. - Matt@

out of interest, would the Mondeo 2007 (approx) new model be classed as affordable motoring?

out of interest, would the Mondeo 2007 (approx) new model be classed as affordable motoring?

The petrol models should be reliable if a bit lacking in go but I'd steer clear of the diesels, again there's just too much that can and will go wrong. A DMF will cost £1,000 upwards and they're a very common failure above 70k on the diesels.
Yeah there are plenty of them around here. Obviously not as many as there are Focus and Astras but them they probably didnt sell as many.
Bmw 1 series - Premum Brand used cars repair/maint costs. - Matt@

re. the Mondeo petrol yes I would be slightly concerned by sloth like performance lol

OP you are similar to myself - very very tempting to go for a luxury brand and get all that it offers but I have to say my best cars from dozens over the last 40 yrs have been the ones I have bought as new as possible. Most of the others very quickly lost their shine in more ways than one!

Yeah I was thinking that last snight when I was looking at the Saab 9-3. A lot newer and lower milage than a BMW or 3 series at a similar value. Drove really nice and felt like a new car.

Yeah I was thinking that last snight when I was looking at the Saab 9-3. A lot newer and lower milage than a BMW or 3 series at a similar value. Drove really nice and felt like a new car.

A Saab 9-3 is a Vauxhall Vectra with a posh badge and £2k added to the price.

Do you have a spare £2k to throw away on a badge ?

Another bucket load of trouble Dazl. These are complex motors which were built on a tight tight budget and based on flawed GM tech. Unless it's a basic non-turbo 1.8 with low mileage and a perfect history I really wouldn't even bother looking unless you're able to cope with writing off the thing when something major goes wrong. Remember also that many spares are becoming hard to get, particularly trim, body panels and dash electronics after Saab died. The Fiat diesels are a no no and the turbocharged petrols are not to be mistaken with the old bombproof genuine Saab engines of the 80's. Cost cutting seriously weakened later cars.

IS the H engine used in the 9-5 a Saab one? It seems to be according to wiki and Im quite happy to pay the little extra on fuel if it means I get an older more reliable design.

Bmw 1 series - Premum Brand used cars repair/maint costs. - ibrahim alsaidi

so do you sugest someone to buy a bmw?

Bmw 1 series - Premum Brand used cars repair/maint costs. - Avant

Lots of people quite understandably would like a prestige badge, but can't afford a new one or even nearly-new. But unfortunately prestige badges are no guarantee of reliability: the only guarantee is that their spare parts will be more expensive.

We are forever recommending Japanese or Korean petrol cars, with good reason. If you find these too run-of-the-mill, Hondas and Mazdas have a slightly more upmarket image, and Subaru and Volvo a bit more still. Try looking for one of these, but avoid older used diesels.

Not sure that the Saab engines in the 9-5 are inherently more reliable than the GM based engines in the 9-3 (I'm ignoring the diesels which are the same). They need good regular servicing otherwise they sludge up, the direct igntion cassettes often go etc.

If you avoid the diesels, the petrol 9-3s are OK as long as they are cheap IMO and you check the electrics and gearbox very carefully.

Common faults are the steering column electrics which can bring up random airbag lights, check the key and electronic steering lock works right and if a 6-speed check there is no whine in 6th at speed.

They are basically a throw away car now but a cheap one with some history and a long MOT might give you a year or so.

Hi, thanks. I am looking at petrol as I dont really need a diesel and would rather not pay out the price of repairing one.

I rarely keep a car for longer than 2 years anyway.

Just looking at Vectras and you can get a lot of car for your money. They maybe a bit overkill for me size wise but you jsut seem to get so many more options than for an equivilant Astra. The Suzuki Swift, a bit out of left field looks a decent used buy as well.

The Vectra's cheap for many good reasons. Fiat diesels are weak and the 1800 VVT is murder for VVT pulleys and timing belt tensioners failing, the earlier less complex (no VVT) first gen cars make good cheap old smokers but they're dull as hell to drive. A petrol Mondeo is a far better bet but you did hit on one good option... the Suzuki Swift is a brilliant little car, again if you avoid the Fiat 1.3 diesel.

The Vectra I was looking at was the 2.2 petrol as I thought the 1.8 maybe aa bit underpowered for the car and struggle as a result. Yeah the swift looks a great buy some really late expamples for little money really.

The 2.2 is well known for timing chain problems. Again listen for rattles on startup and make sure the engine is genuinely cold when you try it. Don't touch it unless there's proof of fresh oil every year. Chain driven engines need frequent oil changes, this is even more important than on a belt driven engine. Find a well serviced car and it might make an ok old runabout though. The 2.2 is a bit thirsty though, breaking 30mpg will take a gentle right foot. To be honest I wouldn't be worrying too much about performance at this money, hammer it and it'll fall to bits in no time.

|Liking the swift for the money tbh, If i can get a nice tidy example with a few extras it should suit me. Be nice to have a BMW.Merc Volvo etc but its not much use if its stopping me getting to work.

The problem with the Vectra is that I simply can't think of a single reason to buy one over the equiavlent Mondeo.

The Mondeo is arguiably more reliable but it is also sooooo... much nicer to drive.

What yearand engine are you talking about here?

What yearand engine are you talking about here?

Pretty much any petrol engined Mondeo. Not much to fear mechanically if looked after and they're light years ahead to drive.
Bmw 1 series - Premum Brand used cars repair/maint costs. - Terry W

Premium cars have premium repair costs. And if your budget is sub £2k you need to buy on age, condition and service history only. A £2k premium car is banger territory - ok if you can fix it yourself, potentially ruinous otherwise.

Lots of us have to make similar choices - in my case a 6/7 year old Jag/Merc/Audi/BMW or a six month old sub 10k miles Focus/Astra/Octavia/Leon.

The former is attractive - brand, toys, ego, premium feel. The downside is higher cost servicing, consumables given age (battery, discs, sterring and suspension, wiper moter, seat motor etc) and the ever present risk of a £2k+ bill - turbo, ECU, auto gearbox, engine components etc.

The nearly new option will give manufacturers support for first 3+ years and limited failures likely in other components. Currrent 6 year old 90k Octavia - only failure was water pump under warranty.

With a £2k budget I would go for newer basic transport - less likely to go wrong and cheaper to fix if it does. Functionally it will get you from A to B just the same as the premium option.

If you go for a premium option service history and condition is critical - but you may still end up writing it off at the first major failure.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with a £2k bargain barge gamble as long as (a) you are capable of judging what is right or wrong with it at point of purchse and (b) you recognise it is a gamble and are prepared to walk away if it goes wrong.

It is all a state of mind!

(Alternatively, you could find a well looked after LS400 in which case you will need to accept it will probably out live you even if you're in your 20s).

Bmw 1 series - Premum Brand used cars repair/maint costs. - glidermania

Id say the real costs of a premium brand is the main dealer labour costs. My BM has been on a 5 year pre payment maintenance plan so Im not sure what their current hourly rate is. But, Im pretty certain it is north of £90 an hour and maybe topping £100.

I think like most main dealers, they'll also soak you as far as the cost of oil is concerned.

Bmw 1 series - Premum Brand used cars repair/maint costs. - galileo

Chatting to my trusted independent yesterday I learned that he'd bought parts to fix a customer's Audi for £180, his customer had priced these up at the Audi dealer and been quoted £150.

Querying this the dealer said "We can't sell to independents at the price we charge our customers, this is company policy"..

The difference in labour rates made it cheaper to have it done at the independent garage.

As has been remarked previously, they have to pay for the glass palaces somehow.

Chatting to my trusted independent yesterday I learned that he'd bought parts to fix a customer's Audi for £180, his customer had priced these up at the Audi dealer and been quoted £150.

Querying this the dealer said "We can't sell to independents at the price we charge our customers, this is company policy"..

The difference in labour rates made it cheaper to have it done at the independent garage.

As has been remarked previously, they have to pay for the glass palaces somehow.

Get quotes for work from local garages then ask your main dealer to discount to match or come near. Mine recently came within £20 of matching a local backstreet garage for a new timing belt, water pump and service and the main dealer was using genuine VW parts and the belt comes with a 5yr guarantee whereas the smaller workshop was quoting with aftermarket parts. The main dealer history will allow me to get top dollar when I come to sell it too. Don't dismiss the glass palaces, sometimes they can match or get pretty close to Dodgy Joe's workshop and they know these cars better than anyone and that dealer history is worth money especially if you intend on selling privately for extra cash. Everything is negotiable including finance rates and servicing, two things people always seem to accept face value.
Bmw 1 series - Premum Brand used cars repair/maint costs. - balleballe

I had a 2004 plate Mazda 3 sports (2 litre engine). I purchased it with 62786 miles on the clock and ran it to 125540 in a few years with only 1 breakdown (some cheap 30 quid engine part).

If it wasn't for the rust I would have kept it longer.

Buy a Japanese petrol car.......

Hi OK,

I think ive narrowed it down to;

Astra H 1.8 petrol

Focus 1.8-2.0 litre

Hyundai Coupe 2.0

Civic 1.8 I-Vtec

Civic Type S

Lexus IS200 2.0

Mazda 3

Toyota Corrola/Auris

Suzuki Swift sport.

maybe a Mazda 6 if the price is right.

No I know some of these are getting old but if I have a grand or so left over after the purchase it gives me a little breathing space for repairs.

All petrol by the way

Thoughts?

Edited by Dazl1212 on 10/04/2017 at 13:09

I'd leave the Astra 1800. It uses GM's troublesome VVT system. Stick to the 1.6 which is nippy enough and has few vices.

The Lexus IS a greedy thing (25mpg day to day) and parts can be dear so it's another I'd leave.

Other than that it's a good shortlist. Doubt you'll get a good Swift Sport for the money but if you do you'll love driving it, these have an almost cult following and are brilliant fun. Many are abused or ruined with modifications by younger drivers though so be wary.

TYhe petrol issue isnt too big a deal as I only do about 50 miles per week, the parts issue though is different, if I could get third party parts thats different.

That said I'm leanijng towards the Hyundai Coupe, CIvic and Swift Sport, in no particular order.

Bmw 1 series - Premum Brand used cars repair/maint costs. - brum

I had a 2004 plate Mazda 3 sports (2 litre engine). I purchased it with 62786 miles on the clock and ran it to 125540 in a few years with only 1 breakdown (some cheap 30 quid engine part).

I cant understand why everyone bangs on about Mazda when they have well reported history of rust, fitting of a 1970s car.

"I cant understand why everyone bangs on about Mazda when they have well reported history of rust, fitting of a 1970s car."

They do but mechanically and electronically they're excellent. They are also top notch for driver enjoyment from 2002 onwards with the 2,3,5 and 6. I've run and traded loads of them over the years and aside from the occasional sticky brake calipper on MX5's I've had no trouble at all. Rust is your only worry but even at that it's more cosmetic than structural on most of them. The MX5 is the worst of the lot.

It certainly isn't cosmetic on the MX5 or 6 (although not a difficult fix on the MX-5) but often a MOT failure and call to the scrap yard on Mk 1 6s.

Mazdas can be very good indeed but they've had more design disasters than Toyota over the years. Their diesel engines were a disaster and their customer service with them apalling - you only need to search back on this site to find some awful cases.

It certainly isn't cosmetic on the MX5 or 6 (although not a difficult fix on the MX-5) but often a MOT failure and call to the scrap yard on Mk 1 6s.

Mazdas can be very good indeed but they've had more design disasters than Toyota over the years. Their diesel engines were a disaster and their customer service with them apalling - you only need to search back on this site to find some awful cases.

Mazda have been using Ford and PSA diesels for years which the 1600 is notoriously weak but the old Mazda 2.0 turbo diesel in the 323 and 626 was as tough as old boots. Agree the latest Skyactiv D 2.2 isn't forging a great reputation and Mazda do have a history of trying a little too hard to be different with some messy results. Rotary engines are turbine smooth but troublesome yet they stuck by them for decades and are still working on them today. Can't say I've encountered any issues with Mazda customer service myself.

Mazda have been using Ford and PSA diesels for years which the 1600 is notoriously weak but the old Mazda 2.0 turbo diesel in the 323 and 626 was as tough as old boots. Agree the latest Skyactiv D 2.2 isn't forging a great reputation and Mazda do have a history of trying a little too hard to be different with some messy results. Rotary engines are turbine smooth but troublesome yet they stuck by them for decades and are still working on them today. Can't say I've encountered any issues with Mazda customer service myself.

The Ford and PSA ones are not too bad. The recent ones which gave all the problems were Mazdas own 2.0 and 2.2 diesels. On the Mk 1 6 many a 2.0 failed at low mileages due to a complete mess of a DPF design and Mazda denied any issues despite them being widespread.

Both the MZR original 2.0 and later 2.2 are well known for issues.

Bmw 1 series - Premum Brand used cars repair/maint costs. - Engineer Andy

I cant understand why everyone bangs on about Mazda when they have well reported history of rust, fitting of a 1970s car.

They're no that bad - my 11yo Mazda3 (petrol) is almost rust free on the bodywork, and no more underneath than any other comparable Japanese car of that age. Never failed its MOT and only had 2 advisories in that time (serviced at the same time), all of which were wear and tear related and fixed. I still see loads of mk1 3s and 6s (most pre 2007) locally, the vast majority in very good nick and certainly not rust buckets. I don't hear of that many since the early mk1s having serious rust issues, as SLO76 says, its mainly confined to the wheel arches. A few US mk3s (early ones) has similar issues, but had not heard of similar problems over here.

The diesels always have been a problem, but fortunately would be here as the OP has (wisely) decide that their low mileage doesn't require one. To be honest, the vast majority of problems with cars these days come about either becuase of design flaws (normally electrical and/or controls systems, which are usually evident soon after their first built) that require replacement parts, or that and bad marketing, whereby customers are fed lies and misinformation (sometimes through the media in reviews) that complex diesel cars are fine for people who do low mileages, lots of short journeys and/or in slow-moving urban traffic, which patently they were never designed to do.

Its the same reason I never felt sorry for those idiot customers visiting my local main dealer after buying a rotary-engined RX-8 and ignoring the manufacturer's advice that they're not shopping cars, whining away that their beloved's CAT has broken and now faces a bill on £1k to have a new one fitted...

Would the 2.7v6 coupe be a risk if a decent one came up? fuel and insurance etc aren't too bad for what I need.

Anybody?

Would the 2.7v6 coupe be a risk if a decent one came up? fuel and insurance etc aren't too bad for what I need.

There's no reason not to buy one if you like it. Needs a timing belt and water pump every 5yrs or 50k and I'd imagine it's not a cheap job to do (£400 plus) so factor it in when looking. The 2.7 really isn't any quicker on the road than the 2.0, it lacks low speed pull and handling is compromised by the heavier engine up front. Might make a tempting old smoker for a few hundred quid then run til it goes pop. Don't pay too much for one and make sure you have a good look under it before parting with the cash as they rot quite badly underneath.

Edited by SLO76 on 11/04/2017 at 14:33

Pretty much my thoughts on it mate, its just I was thinking if one turned up that was in good nick for the money whether there were any issues that would make it a bad buy compared to the 2.0, which is what I would prefer.

Edited by Dazl1212 on 11/04/2017 at 18:05

Just noticed you mention Subaru's, aren't they ridiculously complicated and therefore more likely to go wrong and won't the parts be really dear?

Yes, they are quite complicated.

So yes, if they go wrong, they can be expensive to fix.

But they don't break down much - especially petrol engined ones with manual gearboxes.

Do you think £4k could get me a decent WRX?

Bmw 1 series - Premum Brand used cars repair/maint costs. - Theophilus

and how much would you budget for repair costs?

How much do you reckon I'd need? I spent about 2k in a year on my old Octavia vrs that I paid £1300 for and I'd be hoping to not have to spend that much. That said I was doing 60 miles a day in that. I barely do that in a week now.

Edited by Dazl1212 on 15/04/2017 at 22:29

Bmw 1 series - Premum Brand used cars repair/maint costs. - Theophilus

An unstressed Subaru should be reliable ... but by the time a WRX is going for £4K it's probably been thrashed and likely to bring you big bills, but perhaps you need to learn the hard way!