Pavement parking leading to £70 fine - Rachel234

Can imagine this will catch a lot of people out www.carkeys.co.uk/news/you-could-soon-be-slapped-w...h

Can see this being the same as the mobile phone ban when they caught hundreds in their first week I believe.

Pavement parking leading to £70 fine - Snakey

That sets the alarm bells ringing, fair enough if you're really blocking the path but local councils are going to use this as a massive cash raiser.

How many millions of people park on the path (but not blocking the path) outside their own house?

Pavement parking leading to £70 fine - RT

That sets the alarm bells ringing, fair enough if you're really blocking the path but local councils are going to use this as a massive cash raiser.

How many millions of people park on the path (but not blocking the path) outside their own house?

It's to do with the number who DO block pavements enough to stop a double buggy being pushed through - not the number who don't cause an issue.

The anomaly that we, as a society, have more cars than parking spaces can't be used to discard common decency.

Pavement parking leading to £70 fine - Snakey

It's to do with the number who DO block pavements enough to stop a double buggy being pushed through - not the number who don't cause an issue.

The anomaly that we, as a society, have more cars than parking spaces can't be used to discard common decency.

Sarcasm mode ON: Of course this fine will ONLY be used in those circumstances. The council would never dream of using this to hammer people parked outside their homes.

Pavement parking leading to £70 fine - RobJP

Sarcasm mode ON: Of course this fine will ONLY be used in those circumstances. The council would never dream of using this to hammer people parked outside their homes.

If said people are obstructing the pavement, then I see no issue at all with them being fined.

Pavement parking leading to £70 fine - galileo

Councils have in the past given approval for developments where tthe roads are not wide enough for large vehicles (fire tenders, bin lorries, skip wagons) if cars are parked fully on the road at both sides. Many streets of older terraces are also too narrow. (I always park on my drive, though not all who have drives do so through sheer laziness.)

Pavement parking leading to £70 fine - sandy56

Sorting out the may drivers who park on the pavement is long overdue. On the main road into my local town, it is barely passable due to parking on both sides, and using the pavement. Hell for both drivers and pedestrians. COuncils take our money but dont deliver much in return. They build more houses( or permit them to be built) but not enough off road parking, or parking spaces, with very narrow access roads, the end result is chaos.

Pavement parking leading to £70 fine - Rachel234

Couldn't agree more, that's the real issue here that they're not taking into account.

Cars shouldn't be on pavements to begin with unless there's parking bays in place, it's lack of space on the roads that is the real issue.

I know near mine it's a ridiculous struggle getting in and out day by day.

Pavement parking leading to £70 fine - Theophilus

Is this thread an over-reaction ?

Re-read the article ... which is designed to scare & attract attention, and has obviously succeeded:

"Motorists who park on the kerb or on the pavement COULD soon face a £70 fine after the Department for Transport announced it’s CONSIDERING a ban on doing so."

Pavement parking leading to £70 fine - Avant

Yes - there'll be a lot of 'consultations' / sitting in in-trays / inconclusive meetings etc before that gets near the statute book.

But there certainly is a problem. Terrace houses in narrow streets were built for people who didn't have cars. And not all modern builders recognise that the people who can afford to buy their houses will probably have at least two cars per household.

Pavement parking leading to £70 fine - jc2

In our road,every house has a garage in an alley at the back of their house-do the use them?-no!They park outside their front door;I'm OK-I'm one of the two houses on our side of the road with a driveway.(house built 1900.).

Pavement parking leading to £70 fine - Brit_in_Germany

In our road,every house has a garage in an alley at the back of their house-do the use them?-no!

Are the garages being rented out as accomodation perhaps?

Pavement parking leading to £70 fine - Andrew-T

There are all sorts of reasons why pavement-parking is now endemic.

More people drive, and fewer people walk, than in the time when pavements were set aside.

There are now so many owner-drivers that space simply isn't available to park all the cars off-road.

Many houses have garages, but they are often filled with junk or converted into living space, partly because cars have got too big to put inside.

People are too lazy or inconsiderate.

So it is all understandable. But as the road is (theoretically) reserved for traffic, the pavement is reserved for pedestrians (not really cyclists either). Buggies and invalid carts must have right to a safe passage too. Perhaps we need a Japanese rule, where anyone intending to own a car must first show that it will have off-road parking space?

Edited by Andrew-T on 31/03/2017 at 18:40

Pavement parking leading to £70 fine - badbusdriver

Something else worth consideration here is just how wide cars are becoming. It seems every new generation of any particular car grows ever wider. I know this because i recently spent a lot of time researching what our next car should be, given how we recently moved to an old part of town with narrow streets. Our current Hyundai i30 is 1780mm wide and i ideally wanted something narrower, but certainly no wider. There is nothing in the i30's class of car which is narrower, so we have decided to go with the honda jazz, one of only a couple of 'superminis' which is less than 1700mm. I would actually be very keen on getting hold of one of the wierd and wonderful japanese 'kei' cars, they are properly compact!.

Pavement parking leading to £70 fine - John F

Something else worth consideration here is just how wide cars are becoming. It seems every new generation of any particular car grows ever wider.

Substitute 'human' for 'car'. A sizeable proportion of the population would be extremely uncomfortable in a 1320mm wide Austin 7.

Pavement parking leading to £70 fine - FoxyJukebox

Totally agree--and don't forget that in Bermuda I believe you are only allowed to own ONE car!

In rural communities, small market towns and villages--the reason why people park on pavements is that there are insufficient car parks. Councills (County and Pariish) are reluctant to create new car parks, due to cost , the difficulties of negotiating with farmers to "let" their fields and all the planning and expensive consultation processes involved. Then of course there is the unpopularity of such schemes with their local electorates.

No problem in urban areas-double yellow lines abound as does expensive parking either by meter, car park or enforced residential scheme.

National policy needed?

In rural communities, small market towns and villages--the reason why people park on pavements is that there are insufficient car parks.

Or, equally true, there are too many cars - which as has been said, keep getting bigger and more demanding of parking space.

The assumption is always that everyone is entitled to a parking space, and if there isn't one available, the pavement will have to do. One way to control this is to allow the situation to become so intolerable that enough people find another way to reach their destination, but I can't see that happening soon. A few decades ago, when fewer people could afford cars, they used to share transport. They still could, but it's just a bit inconvenient.

Edited by Andrew-T on 01/04/2017 at 16:20

Pavement parking leading to £70 fine - RT

In rural communities, small market towns and villages--the reason why people park on pavements is that there are insufficient car parks.

Or, equally true, there are too many cars - which as has been said, keep getting bigger and more demanding of parking space.

The assumption is always that everyone is entitled to a parking space, and if there isn't one available, the pavement will have to do. One way to control this is to allow the situation to become so intolerable that enough people find another way to reach their destination, but I can't see that happening soon. A few decades ago, when fewer people could afford cars, they used to share transport. They still could, but it's just a bit inconvenient.

Too many people, too many cars - parking "entitlement" only occurs when you buy, so own, enough land next to your house to park the car(s) - too many people think it's the "authorities" job to provide them with parking spaces - the roads are for driving on, pavements for walking on, neither for parking.

Pavement parking leading to £70 fine - RaineMan

The problem is stupidity on both sides of the equation Some people will be booked when the pavement is sufficiently wide and parking partially on the pavement eases traffic flow. Then there are those who will block the pavement with total disregard to others. Pavement parkers were the bane of my life in my late mother's latter years. Because of advanced Parkinsons she was confined to a wheelchair and cars blocking the pavement meant going up and down kerbs, and into the road!

I only remember noticing common pavement parking soon after we moved here about 10 years ago. A new batch of houses was being built across the road, and every day the builders had little choice but to park on the pavement or walk some distance. Needless to say, after that (or so it seemed) pavement parking became a habit. It wouldn't be so bad, except that it's hard enough to join traffic on a fairly busy A-road without having one's sighting blocked even further by tall vehicles without windows.

I can beat that-a new development of houses began construction 3 years ago in a nearby rural village community where parking is totally chronic and all efforts to negotiate a new car park got stuck in planning processes/consultations and endless ridiculous parish council talk shop sessions.

Sure enough--the moment the major construction began-a new temporary car park on nearby farmland magically opened which housed 100 vehicles/white vans -mostly cars all to do with the new development construction. When the building work was over and the workers retreated -the car park was "yellow sellotaped" and "keep out" signs were erected. A few weks later it returned to being uncultivated farmland . The residents parking is now even worse--because the new houses don't have allocated parking.

Pavement parking leading to £70 fine - Robbie

In the village where I live the roads are wide and every house has ample parking space. Unfortunately, many houses have had the garages and some of the drive changed for rxtra reception rooms. Consequently, many park on the pavement. Many also fill their garages with clutter, leaving less parking space. Many residents have offspring with vehicles and this adds to the problem.

Pavement parking leading to £70 fine - Andrew Irvine

I got fined for parking with 2 wheels on the pavement 30 odd years ago, the pavement in question was about 25 feet wide, so not even causing an obstuction, so nothing new.

Pavement parking leading to £70 fine - Ethan Edwards

Whatever the merits of parking on or near pavements etc. In the real world councils enforcing rules are given a power over us. Experience shows that this power can and definitely will be abused beyond all recognition and boundaries of common sense.

Thus creating injustices.

This has led to entire funeral processions being ticketed for parking. Customers accessing a Tesco local being ticketed for using the designated car park entrance. And a thousand more examples of crass stupidity and jobsworth behaviour. Mission creep means that the RIPA act intended to combat terrorism was in practice used against people whose pet dogs pooed in public. People seeking a specific school for their children. Only in Britain would a docile population stand for this clear case of official stupidity.

More Powers given to these people will absolutely certainly be abused for revenue purposes.

This proposed extra power will be no different.

This has led to entire funeral processions being ticketed for parking. Customers accessing a Tesco local being ticketed for using the designated car park entrance. And a thousand more examples of crass stupidity and jobsworth behaviour.

None of us likes a jobsworth. But if we had to do that job, what would you say when a funeral procession or some other 'special case' got an unofficial arbitrary exemption? Like everything else in life, once a system is set up, the devious ones among us work out how to exploit it. So the unfortunate jobsworth has to be even-handed - tho I suspect maybe some of his/her mates are let off occasionally.

Pavement parking leading to £70 fine - Bromptonaut

Mission creep means that the RIPA act intended to combat terrorism was in practice used against people whose pet dogs pooed in public. People seeking a specific school for their children. Only in Britain would a docile population stand for this clear case of official stupidity.

It's a myth that RIPA was (solely) about terrorism. No doubt in introducing it to parliament the Minister gilded the lilly by reference to terror but nothing in the act's headnote mentions it.

It's purpose was to consolidate and codify numerous investigative provisions/practices and bring them up to date in terms of stuff like CCTV, encrypted communications etc. Why on earth should people illegally leaving dog poo to get on pram wheels or sports kit or perverting the school admission process by using false addresses etc not be caught by surveillance?

RIPA provides a framework for authorising it's use.

Pavement parking leading to £70 fine - barney100

Pavement parking is endemic now, can't really see any solution as to how people with no drive or allocated parking/garage can manage.

Pavement parking leading to £70 fine - Theophilus

Pavement parking is endemic now, can't really see any solution as to how people with no drive or allocated parking/garage can manage.

It's possible ... Japanese law requires motorists to prove they have access to a local parking space before they are allowed to purchase a motor vehicle.