Chrysler Grand Voyager 2000 2.5td - electrical faults and loss of power above 2000rpm - thesillyoldtrucker

hello all.

Here I present a story of woe for the amusement of some, and hopefully the offer of sympathetic help from others.

The turbodiesel in question is my second voyager which I have very recently bought sight unseen, to replace my much loved but ancient 3.3 which decided to eat its gearbox 3k short of 200,000miles. This old car had served me well for the last 4 1/2yrs despite only costing £600 back then. In truth, this was such a good car that I have become accustomed to its reliablity, and mistakenly assumed all voyagers would be of a similar ilk, so when the opportunity to get a more economical version - ie the diesel - came along I decided to buy it.

Ok, I knew it was a mistake literally within minutes of leaving the seller, and here is where you can start either laughing or crying or whatever - I already feel like a prat so .......

Firstly it is down on power. Initially I thought "well its a diesel, it won't perform like my lovely old V6". The engine pulls actually quite well up to about 2000, then it sort of holds back, especially so on full or large throttle openings, but it seems to go better if you lift almost right off, and on very small throttle openings it nearly gets a second wind. It doesn't, but it feels like it. It will actually get up to about 3500 in the first 3 gears, if you are prepared to wait for it. Top speed I have seen so far is about 64 or 5.

Secondly, are the electrics which I shall just pretty much list.

• No speedometer readings. (the needle has never even quiverred)
  • The trip computer doesn't record fuel, distance, elapsed time or mpg)
  • The cruise control doesn't work even though 'cruise' lights up on the dash. I beleive these first 3 faults are most likely related.
  • The heated mirrors don't heat up, although the power adjustment does. (probably a fuse, I hope)
  • The interior lights don't come on with the drivers door, all other doors work fine and the other electrical components of the drivers door work ok.

So, thats it. Bring on the comments, I'm a big boy (an old fool more like) and can take it, although I do hope some will offer sensible advice, and no I won't accept "scrap it"

Perhaps I should also add that I have always driven old bangers (never been able to afford anything remotely new), and in fact my old 3.3 was probably the best car I have ever had, and sadly this diesel, despite being half the mileage doesn't even come close.

Chrysler Grand Voyager 2000 2.5td - electrical faults and loss of power above 2000rpm - Railroad.

Check the charging system. You should read 14.4v at the battery with the engine running at fast idle, and at least 13.5v with all electrical loads switched on. Also check for any broken earth wires.

Chrysler Grand Voyager 2000 2.5td - electrical faults and loss of power above 2000rpm - hardway

1st off you have a speedo fault,

this is compounding into all the others,

trip and cruise control MPG etc.

none of which will work without a signal from the speedo.

Usuall mounted on/near the differential.

Get that fixed and the speedo working first.

Chrysler Grand Voyager 2000 2.5td - electrical faults and loss of power above 2000rpm - thesillyoldtrucker

Thanks for the post, I am trying to source a 'vehicle speed sensor' but so far without much luck. Think I will try the big motor factors first, although I guess it won't hurt to check with chrysler themselves, you never know sometimes the main dealer comes up trumps!

Chrysler Grand Voyager 2000 2.5td - electrical faults and loss of power above 2000rpm - SLO76
If it's the pre CRD 16v diesel then it's actually an Italian VM design initially intended for marine use believe it or not but also appeared under the hood of the Range Rover and Rover 800. It's unusual in that it is neither belt or chain driven but gear driven.

This old thread might help. Possibly EGR related but there is a common fault with the injectors that could reduce power like this... www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=85943

On a further note. Don't buy an old turbo diesel if you want a cheap old runabout, they generally are more trouble than they're worth while the old V6 petrol will slog away happily into big mileages.

Edited by SLO76 on 19/03/2017 at 12:45

Thanks guys, that old thread is particularly interesting, I shall be putting an ohm meter on the #1 injector asap.