Honda Shuttle/Odyssey - Bye bye Honda Shuttle - what next - Benet

At long last the legendary reliability of our T-reg Shuttle has come to an end. She's failed the MOT not only on various tyre/brake/suspension items but also on emissions of carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons and, for good measure, 'dense blue smoke.' So how can we hope to replace it ? My wife demands Japanese reliability in a petrol automatic with ample space for the approaching car boot season, and 7 seats for taking the family to Poland, and under £7000.

Any thoughts?

Mazda 5? Toyota Verso? Or stick with Honda www.exchangeandmart.co.uk/used-cars-for-sale/honda...5

or even a Shuttle www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170301282...1

Honda Shuttle/Odyssey - Bye bye Honda Shuttle - what next - SLO76
Not an easy task finding a good large 7str petrol automatic MPV.

Toyota Verso is too small I'd imagine? The Previa 2.4 VVT is thirsty but good though post 06 cars are killed by the £515 tax rate so it has to be an earlier car. I'd generally avoid Jap imports which haven't the same level of rust resistance and histories are often either nonexistent or faked so if you must have one of these then buy on condition over all else.

The Mitsubishi Grandis 2.4 is another option. Again post 06 tax rate of £515 is a killer but these are cheap and robust.

The most sensible option is probably the Mazda 5 which is smaller and easier to park, handles much better than the two above and will break 30mpg easy enough. Plus post 06 cars are taxed at £270 which is almost acceptable and certainly won't kill resale.

Having said all this, I'd be taking a look at that old R plate Honda Shuttle first. It's probably rotten underneath considering it's almost 20yrs old but you never know, it might not. I wouldn't pay £2k for it though, they won't have paid more than £700-£800 for it so a cheeky offer would be worth a try if it's solid and drives ok.

Thanks a lot for this thorough answer. I really like the look of the new Mazda 5 but it may be way outside the price range...

If you must have an auto it does severely limit choice unfortunately but £6k is enough to buy a pre facelift car with sensible mileage. There are a few others for less but they've usually got heavy miles up or little service history. Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170113127...3
Honda Shuttle/Odyssey - Bye bye Honda Shuttle - what next - Steveieb
Just wondered if you could manage with a FRV which is my all time favourite MPV but it only has six seats?
Honda Shuttle/Odyssey - Bye bye Honda Shuttle - what next - daveyK_UK

with your criteria, i would consider a japanese import

Honda Shuttle/Odyssey - Bye bye Honda Shuttle - what next - gordonbennet

with your criteria, i would consider a japanese import

I agree, either Toyota or Honda, but try to get a vehicle that at least has the same engine and running gear as UK supplied cars, obvious reasons.

No they arn't treated with the same underbody protection as UK models, but no road salt is used in Japan so even the oldest cars are normally in excellent condition underneath, and you have a clean slate to do your own better than professional full underbody and cavity treatments, will cost you up roughly £150 (plus elbow grease) in products to do a serious job, or you get the pro's to do it, from £200 upwards to around £450 for the absolute works...its a filthy job but seeing as you have a non rusty car to start with, a weekend if you have 4 x axle stands or 4 x ramps, or better still use of a hoist will see the job done, and you have a clean slate car better treated than a normal uk supplied model, its a satisfying job to do as well, i do my own so will help with any info if you want.

Obviously this works best with a fresh import, but you'd be surprised, my sons import Subaru Imprezza had never been treated and at 15 years old, having been here about 10 years was still in superb condition underneath, so judge each vehicle on its merits.

PS, sensible wife you have wanting another Japanese model.

Edited by gordonbennet on 14/03/2017 at 08:01

I have just read your valuable instructions about underbody inspection that you put on another post back in February. Very useful!

The FRV is tempting, but the problem is we need more generous luggage space with all the seats in use

Honda Shuttle/Odyssey - Bye bye Honda Shuttle - what next - Happy Blue!

Korean? Hyundai Trajet was available as a 2.0 petrol and diesel automatic. Great size and reliable.

Honda Shuttle/Odyssey - Bye bye Honda Shuttle - what next - Sam49

I love my S-Max but also being a Japanese car fan (and MPV nerd), I also really want this...!

Trajet - That's about the nearest to a like for like replacement. Choices, choices...

In the end we have deferred the decision. We found a private seller in our area offering a Shuttle with a year's MOT , so we bought it for much less than the price of the repairs to the old one. Our third Honda Shuttle. Nothing else over the last 18 years comes close for reliability, space and (the thing the wife likes) a high driving position.

Good choice. I'm a big fan of bangernomics.
Honda Shuttle/Odyssey - Bye bye Honda Shuttle - what next - gordonbennet

Agreed, well played Benet.

In SWMBO good books too, bonus.