Ford Mondeo - Advice Needed - Short term solution needed - Benjo

I've had my 2006 Ford Mondeo for 4 years and got it for a bargain price, been happy with it but the last two MOTs have cost £400 or so and the next is due end of March.

I recently put in a new drive shaft after hitting a pothole, there are various problems with sensors and the clutch so I feel the car has reached end of life and no longer wish to MOT or keep it on the road.

I've saved up some and have decided to treat myself to a new car for once, a Ford Edge which I've had my eye on for over a year. The problem is there's an issue with my credit file, a mistake which I'm chasing up and is going to take around 2 months to rectify.

In the mean time, I don't know what to do. I can't get the 0% finance from Ford until this issue is rectified and need to be on the road to get to work until it's sorted.

I'm not good with cars hence am seeking advice from you all, so thank you in advance.

Can you recommend any makes/models of used vehicles I could buy for cash and look to trade in when I get the Edge, without losing too much money in the process?

What price range should I look at in the hopes of not losing out too much?

Ford Mondeo - Advice Needed - Short term solution needed - RobJP

Buy cheap, and you might be buyng problems. More money down the drain. If there was a particular car that was guaranteed to not lose value, then everyone would buy it - pushing up values until they became too expensive, and then values would drop.

Your best bet might just be to put your current car in with a garage for a 'pre-MOT check'. Basically, you want them to run through everything, and see if it will pass the MOT. But WITHOUT putting it through an 'official' MOT.

If they say yes, it'll pass, then get them to MOT it.

That is almost certainly the cheapest way to keep yourself on the road for the next 2-3 months.

This thought had occurred to me too, thanks for confirming it as an idea worth following up. I just had to renew the insurance and am getting a half of certain mot voucher so I'll put it in and see what they say.

What you say about buying cheap is exactly my fear hence why I sought advice.

Thank you.

Ford Mondeo - Advice Needed - Short term solution needed - SLO76
With no Mot your car is worth £50 scrap at best but with a years ticket it could fetch £300-£500 privately as long as it runs and the clutch isn't slipping so it could worth spending a few quid on again as long as the clutch isn't away.

If the old Ford isn't economically salvageable then you need to buy something as simple as possible with a long Mot, preferably privately then flog it privately afterwards if you want to limit any loss. Buy wisely and you may even make a profit.

Where are you located roughly?

There's a knocking when it idles in neutral, has been there as long as I can remember and was advised fly wheel was on the way out 2 years ago but to keep using until it went. The knocking disappears as soon as you depress the clutch and when driving it sounds perfect, gets me almost 60mpg so I've been happy to keep it on the road. However, the recent pot hole incident caused me to have a good look under the car and the wear and age is very apparent so I've just no confidence in it anymore.

I'm in Teesside, North East.

Ford Mondeo - Advice Needed - Short term solution needed - RaineMan

If the Mondeo is not viable it might be worth considering an older Nissan like an Almera.

Just had a little look on Autotrader, there is one from 2010 and all the others are 2006 same as my current car. Are they known for being reliable?

Ford Mondeo - Advice Needed - Short term solution needed - SLO76
Yup sounds like the dual mass flywheel is breaking up, I'm surprised it's lasted so long but I'd still to see if you can sneak it though an Mot before going hunting for another sub £800 car you don't know that could catastrophically wrong.

Best combination I find with older motors like this is to find a good independent garage that doesn't do Mots but who will arrange it for you with another nearby independent Mot station. The Moting garage then knows there's nothing in it for them to fail you unjustly as they won't be getting the work. I've a good set up like this and it's proven very cost effective when running or trading older cars.

Mots are all too often used as a cash generator for garages to drum up unnecessary work so get established somewhere you can trust. Look out for small garages which are popular with the taxi trade who look for value and honesty over all else. If there's several taxis on the ramps or lying around outside it's a good sign.
Ford Mondeo - Advice Needed - Short term solution needed - tourantass
Hi. while on the subject of MOT's if you take your for car an early mot (3 weeks) and it fails, does it make remaining 3 weeks null and void?

The law states that you can take the vehicle away if the MOT is still valid - so yes, you can use it on the road. However, if it is unroadworthy and you got stopped (or had an accident), the penalties are severe : fine up to £2500, driving ban or points.

www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

Ford Mondeo - Advice Needed - Short term solution needed - JEREMYH

My opinion is different

Keep the Mondeo too many cars are scrapped these day with nothing wrong with them .

All I hear people talk about now are their credit rating , credit cards ,borrowing money,facebook ,instagram and things they dont have the money for

Nobody ever talks about gererating wealth

Keep the mondeo and save the monthly payments once it is MOTed it will be a good car

My cars are a 2000 Toyota Privia 2.0 derv and a 1996 Saab convertible 2.3 Auto for the weekend No borrowed money cash in the bank and no facebook !

Keeping it on the road might be a good long term solution !

Edited by JEREMYH on 07/03/2017 at 13:53

That has been my mindset for the last few years, as you say it didn't cost me anything a month, as a result I've been able to save up. It's now gotten to the point where I worry if it's even going to get me to work and it's not in the least bit enjoyable.

I can afford the Edge as I've saved up plenty, I want to get the Ford Credit as they offer a £1500 deposit contribution and then 0% payments meaning my savings can stay in my ISA.

If only it would be a good car after an MOT I'd keep it like I have previous years however there are so many problems likely to arise with suspension, gearbox etc - i'm now avoiding potholes like crazy on the way to work since the last big one ruined the drive shaft. Safe to say it's time for the car to have a rest.

Ford Mondeo - Advice Needed - Short term solution needed - gordonbennet

My opinion is different

I like the cut of your jib JEREMYH, wouldn't have the foggiest idea if i had a good credit score, whatever that is when its at home, deifinately don't believe in paying interest to people or institutions who are already rich.

Thank you indeed for all your advice, I've been recommended a garage from a work colleague and usually I choose that way, I've no idea how I'd find two independant garages as you describe but it does sound like the best way not to get stuck with unnecessary £400 MOT bills.

Ford Mondeo - Advice Needed - Short term solution needed - S40 Man

I wouldn't buy a replacement banger. If you buy from a dealer you will easily lose £1000+ if you plan to sell afterwards. Private sale you could end up with a money pit similar to what you already have.

Either spend that £1000 on fixing the mondy or buy a newer car.

Can you get personal loan instead of credit?

Could you buy a year old example of something with majority' of warranty left?

Probably not Ford Edge as they seem too new, there must be something nice for whatever outlay you planned for the Edge.

I can get a loan yes but I don't really need one, it was for the Ford deposit contribution which is £1500, a good amount of money so I wanted to wait until the credit file was sorted.

I agree there must be plenty of good options, I do have my heart set on the Edge, it will be the one time in my life I go out and get the vehicle I really want, previously I've always made do with second hand, cheaper cars.

I agree with you, buying another banger could well see me worse off than the Mondeo. I'll do the MOT before the due date and see what comes back. Thanks!

Don't get carried away with the 'generosity' of the Ford deposit contribution, if that's the only discount you're getting.

About 20 seconds worth of work found that Coast2coast are quoting £3.5k off list on a £30.5k Ford Edge.

That's not the only discount no, I managed to get 5 grand off over the course of 2 weeks and going between a few different dealers. Thank you for the heads up though.

Edited by Benjo on 07/03/2017 at 16:24