any VW - Britons dying due to north sea fumes. - focussed

What an absolute load of carp.

www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/03/03/volkswagen-.../

any VW - Britons dying due to north sea fumes. - RT

I'm finally accepting that Trump is right - the media is absolutely rubbish and makes up fake stories to suit their owners' political agenda.

Time to ban newspapers, not VW.

When I was at school, the prevailing winds in western Europe were from the South-West - unless the EU changed it that means that Germany gets our carp,.

any VW - Britons dying due to north sea fumes. - Brit_in_Germany

I don't think it is the media at fault here - the report is just repeating the statements of so-called scientists who have zero evidence to support their statements.

any VW - Britons dying due to north sea fumes. - focussed

"winds in western Europe were from the South-West - unless the EU changed it that means that Germany gets our carp"

Not really - as I live in France, every time I light our woodstoves I am pleased to say that Germany gets our woodsmoke 24 hours later !

any VW - Britons dying due to north sea fumes. - FP

"I don't think it is the media at fault here - the report is just repeating the statements of so-called scientists who have zero evidence to support their statements."

Hm. Interesting one, that. It raises serious questions about the role and responsibility of the press. Have they really done their job if they just regurgitate ill-founded theories or dodgy facts that they can't be bothered to investigate?

any VW - Britons dying due to north sea fumes. - Bromptonaut

There is undoubtedly an issue with smog pollution which, under particular wind conditons, can move from near Europe to us. Persistent exposure to smog can lead to premature deaths, though how many, how premature and in what circumstances is a matter of conjecture.

The link to VW is tenuous to point of being speculation.

any VW - Britons dying due to north sea fumes. - concrete

I don't think it is the media at fault here - the report is just repeating the statements of so-called scientists who have zero evidence to support their statements.

I disagree. The media will report any old load of garbage simply to perpetuate their incredibly boring and mundane occupation. They need so many stories per day to run with or all those people milling about in studios, newsrooms etc etc would be out of work. We can't have that now, can we? The prime example of how feeble the media really reveals itself in the way they put such dramatic emphasis on the most inocuous stories. Trying to engender some form of import to an otherwise mundane event. Also can anyone explain why they have a reporter outside some Government building at 10.20pm, with the usual crew of lighting, sound and broadcast engineers, simply to reiterate what the newsreader in the studio has just told us?? Would any of us get away with that kind of useless and unecessary behaviour at our workplace? I think not. But then again we had proper jobs.

Cheers Concrete

any VW - Britons dying due to north sea fumes. - gordonbennet

I'm finally accepting that Trump is right - the media is absolutely rubbish and makes up fake stories to suit their owners' political agenda.

I'm ahead of you here, haven't bought what were once known as newspaper for 30 years, and have for many years avoided any mainstream media's news (propaganda) broadcast.

Broadly i agree with Trump on most things.

I subscribe to Spectator, but that will not be renewed either, back to the Beano if its still going, at least that's sold as a comic.

any VW - Britons dying due to north sea fumes. - galileo

I'm ahead of you here, haven't bought what were once known as newspaper for 30 years, and have for many years avoided any mainstream media's news (propaganda) broadcast.

Broadly i agree with Trump on most things.

I subscribe to Spectator, but that will not be renewed either, back to the Beano if its still going, at least that's sold as a comic.

Many good satirical items in Viz, one of the only two magazines I subscribe to (the other is Guns and Ammo)

any VW - Britons dying due to north sea fumes. - Falkirk Bairn

Shipping must be a significant polluter.

For example

Maersk, a large Danish container ship owner & oil company, burns more diesel in a year in its fleet of ships around the world than the rest of Denmark that is just one company.

Add in fleets of other tankers, containerships, cruise liners & these are seriously large consumers. Maersk largest ships are some 400 metres long & carry 18,000 40 ft containers!

any VW - Britons dying due to north sea fumes. - galileo

Shipping must be a significant polluter.

For example

Maersk, a large Danish container ship owner & oil company, burns more diesel in a year in its fleet of ships around the world than the rest of Denmark that is just one company.

Add in fleets of other tankers, containerships, cruise liners & these are seriously large consumers. Maersk largest ships are some 400 metres long & carry 18,000 40 ft containers!

Typical large container ship of that size uses 360 tons of fuel per day at normal speed, or 15 tons per hour. Link below for details.

preview.tinyurl.com/jons8r6

Edited by galileo on 04/03/2017 at 19:31

any VW - Britons dying due to north sea fumes. - RT

The 15 tonnes that burns in an hour would last my gas-guzzler for over 500,000 miles