Any - New Mobile Phone rules - Gibbon

Anyone know what the situation is regarding cars with builtin touchscreens and the new laws that came in yesterday? I've not seen any mention of them in the legislation but surely looking down at a touchscreen panel and using it, which is normally below the dashboard, is worse than a mobile in a cradle as it's at or just below eyeline.

Any - New Mobile Phone rules - Bromptonaut

AIUI the law itself is about using handheld mobile phones and has not changed. As from yesterday the penalty was doubled to £200 and 6 points.

www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law.

Touchscreens for controlling heating and ventilation and other in car parameters are the work of the devil. Simple rotary controls that can be operated by feel in total darkness have done the job perfectly well for as long as cars have had heaters.

While, unlike phones, there is no specific law about these I'd be pretty sure that, if you had an accident while distracted by using a touchscreen charges from due care all the way to death by careless or even dangerous driving might well apply.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 02/03/2017 at 10:59

Any - New Mobile Phone rules - Gibbon

Yes I thought it was just the penalties that had changed, but a lot of the reports on websites talk about potentially being caught if you even touch a mobile in a cradle (with a bluetooth headset on) to say answer a call or accept a route change on a sat nav, both of which you would potentially have to do on an in-built system.

Any - New Mobile Phone rules - drivingdave

Seems like the best advice is err on the side of caution, double points and £200 fine (or worse of course), just isn't worth the risk.

Edited by drivingdave on 15/03/2017 at 08:13

Any - New Mobile Phone rules - ExA35Owner

S41D(a) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 would deal with this... it's pretty far-ranging and it looks as if it would nail a driver who was, for example, reading the touch-screen to find a radio station or music while not looking at the road.

www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/41D

Any - New Mobile Phone rules - TheBroker
I wrote an article on the new XC90 and ended up focussing on the do all touch screen which was a massive distraction as it did everything and you had to go through menu trees to do certain things. Frankly dangerous IMO and I'm no technophobe. Do all touchscreen controls are dangerous as far as I'm concerned.
Any - New Mobile Phone rules - galileo
I wrote an article on the new XC90 and ended up focussing on the do all touch screen which was a massive distraction as it did everything and you had to go through menu trees to do certain things. Frankly dangerous IMO and I'm no technophobe. Do all touchscreen controls are dangerous as far as I'm concerned.

I agree completely, unfortunately a large number of car buyers (the ones who have to have the latest registration number plate or a personal one, big bling wheels etc, more money than sense) who can't resist this kind of gizmo. They probably also delight in showing off their electric handbrakes (until they malfunction).

As long as these gadgets are believed to be a selling point to the above type of customer, unless legislation bans them they will become more common, with predictable results. On another forum only today I saw a picture of a badly damaged artic, whose driver had hit concrete bollards "while distracted by his satnav"

Any - New Mobile Phone rules - HGV ~ P Valentine

I drive a HGV, a company I was working for had 1 if their Arctic drivers stopped for using a phone, he is facing the commissioner, and the possible loss of his prof license, he will def have his car insurance go up by a lot.

The law before was only for mobile phones, but

They extended it to include ANY AND ALL ELECTRONIC DERVICES, tablet's etc, in short touching anything that does not control the motor, and is not covered by driving without due care and attention, and has its own power source batt or mains, is covered by this extension. So even using a sat Navy whilst driving will come under this new extension.

The law before was only for mobile phones, but

They extended it to include ANY AND ALL ELECTRONIC DERVICES, tablet's etc, in short touching anything that does not control the motor, and is not covered by driving without due care and attention,

Do you have a link to legislation etc regarding extension you mention above?

Not saying you're wrong or looking for an argument but all I can find is an upping of the penalties set out in original 2003 amends. If scope were extended I'd also have expected Minister's announcements to have trumpeted fact as well as the fine/points.

You know what my friend, I always entertain the idea that I might be wrong or misinformed, it is this I am most proud of because DVSA, continually move the goalpost so I am forver updating myself and although I have been right most of the time, I have been proved worng in the past bu tonly on a few occasions.

I dont mind an argument, it is arguments that keep me sharpe and force me to update myself and what I think I know, like now for example where I am checking on my info, and my friend one last thing, while I am happy to argue with anyone I dont want to fight anyone, as people with a brain a good argument is ..... refreshing. lol

Here is the link and something copied from it

What happens if I am caught using a mobile device while driving?

When you are caught using a mobile device while driving, you will be issued with a fixed penalty notice and will receive a £100 fine and three points on your licence. (www.gov.uk) (In March 2017 this will be £200 and six points)

Your case could also go to court and you could be disqualified from driving or riding and get a maximum fine of £1,000. Drivers of buses or goods vehicles could get a maximum fine of £2,500.

www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/advice/on-the-road/dr.../

My Friendly Regards

Paul P Valentine Esq

In a new regulation due to come into force on 1 December 2003, it is a specific offence to use a hand-held phone, or similar device, when driving. The penalty is a £30 fixed penalty or up to £1,000 on conviction in court (£2,500 for drivers of goods vehicles, buses or coaches). Drivers still risk prosecution (for failure to have proper control) if they use hands-free phones when driving.

www.reading.ac.uk/web/files/health-and-safety/NOT2...f

Any - New Mobile Phone rules - FP

Not sure of the relevance of this. We're now in 2017, not 2003, and the penalties are 6 ponts and £200 fine.

Edited by FP on 01/05/2017 at 15:48

Not sure of the relevance of this. We're now in 2017, not 2003, and the penalties are 6 ponts and £200 fine.

A question arose as to whether, as well as increasing the penalty, the recent changes extended the scope of the offence beyond mobile phones. The mobile specific offence was first framed by The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment) (No. 4) Regulations 2003 {2003 SI 2695} which refers to (a) amobile telephone or (b) A device other than a two-way radio, which performs an interactive communication function by transmitting and receiving data. Two way radios are specifically excluded.

My own research has failed to find any new legislation modifying the definitiona above. These seem wide enough to capture smart phone functions such as text or internet but may not cover GPS as in that case there is no transmission of data - the legislation says transmit and (rather than or) receive

Any - New Mobile Phone rules - Cymrogwyllt

I play safe and only use the touch screen media selection/control on my chariot when stopped. It takes far more time and attention to select a radio channel from a menu on a screen than it takes to push a preselect button. That is, after finding the menu in the first place.

Any - New Mobile Phone rules - Middleman

Yes I'm afraid that whoever thought of sticking a multi-function multi-menu touchscreen device in a car must have been completely off their rocker. Work of the devil.

Relevance is that hands free bit still appllies mate, as does the similar device bit.

Edited by 30 yr's a Professional Driver on 05/06/2017 at 08:31

Any - New Mobile Phone rules - FP

I know that - mate. I was questioning why you refer, in a post dated 1 May, to new regulations to be introduced in 2003.

Any - New Mobile Phone rules - drivingdave

I did find this handy: www.keepmeontheroad.co.uk/mobile-phone-laws-miscon.../