Rover 416gsi 1993 - Driving a car thats been stood for a few years - KCSRenault

Hello folks,

I recently have been given a 1993 rover 416gsi from an old relative who has given up driving,and as i now need an automatic thought it might be worth a shot. The car has done 66,205 miles and has full service history and has been garaged all its life. The only thought i have had is the car has done barely 400 miles in the last three years and in the last 10 years has not even done 3000 miles.

Will this car just start needing everything doing to it as i drive it reguarly, or should it be okay with its honda underpinnings. Need something reliable, it has always been reliable but going to the shops once a week is not very tasking for any car made in the last 50 odd years haha.

any thoughts or preventative measures, much appreciated.

thank you

Rover 416gsi 1993 - Driving a car thats been stood for a few years - Wackyracer

I'd check it right over and give it a full service including a full strip down and clean of the brakes before you start using it. If it's sat around for ages, the brakes could be seized.

Rover 416gsi 1993 - Driving a car thats been stood for a few years - elekie&a/c doctor

I owned one of these around 5 years ago,given to me in similar circumstances.Engine was a gem and never gave a moments trouble.Strongly advise getting the cam belt changed cos if it snaps it will be goodbye engine.The only other point to watch is worn rear trailing arm bushes,common issue on all this model range.

Rover 416gsi 1993 - Driving a car thats been stood for a few years - SLO76
Cracking cars in their day, I've flogged loads of R8 Rovers over the years and the 416GSi was a peach. A full service and I'd replace the timing belt and water pump if it hasn't been done in the last 8yrs and if the car is solid and tidy enough to warrant it. If the belt has never been changed it'll be about to turn to dust.

Good examples of these are becoming rare and prices are gradually heading upwards so don't just run it into the ground as a cheap hack if it's nice. They resist rot better than most cars of the era and that Honda engine is a hard thing to kill so they can make good retro daily drivers.
Rover 416gsi 1993 - Driving a car thats been stood for a few years - liammcl

A blast from the past,
I had a similar model , the diesel 218sld for many a year,

Very comfy seats, and a nice touch of wood on the doors and the fascia.

I really like the look of them, front-on, too

I'd imagine if things go wrong (touch wood they won't)
they'd be cheaper to fix, in mechanic's hours, and parts themselves ,
than some of these new kids on the block.

Cheers
Liam

Edited by liammcl on 28/02/2017 at 23:50

Rover 416gsi 1993 - Driving a car thats been stood for a few years - Bolt

66k is nothing for that unit, I had an estate with the manual gearbox 1995, was written off but had done 133k and sweet as.

as mentioned trailing arm bushes are common failures on these,though you can do them yourself with a few hours spare, or a garage may charge £50-or under a side if they need doing

regular servicing and should last for years, I was looking for another one some years ago but they were too expensive, but bought a Honda instead

the igniter in the distributer was the only thing that went wrong on mine in 50k of driving it, very economical as well