VW Liar - daveyK_UK
www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/manufacturer-news/2017/02...s

Disgusting

Can he not be charged for contempt or purposely misleading parliament?

Puts me off ever considering a VW in the future, they have no concern for their customers
VW Liar - Andrew-T
.... Puts me off ever considering a VW in the future, they have no concern for their customers.

Trouble is, it's likely that all major car makers probably have pretty similar business models or they wouldn't compete successfully for long. It's so easy to enjoy the feeling of getting some revenge by vowing never to buy another VW (or whatever) after an unpleasant experience. I don't think that makes much difference to anyone - unless you have a significant Twitter following perhaps.

VW Liar - sandy56

VW has a history of corruption and deceit going back decades. They are known in Germany for their poor history.

Why anyone would buy one of their cars is beyond me.

VW Liar - RT

Why anyone would buy one of their cars is beyond me.

Haven't found a brand yet that's beyond reproach - some of their cars are quite good.

VW Liar - Theophilus

For those of us who have bought VAG vehicles in the past ... but never again ... I suspect the issue is that we have felt cheated by their advertising "if only everything in life was as reliable as a VW" and the implied perception that VW & Audi in particular are in some way "premium brands".

They may or may not be no better than less "glamorous" brands, but if you put your brand on a pedestal, you shouldn't be surprised if there is a reaction when your claims are shown to be hot air.

VW Liar - alan1302

I suspect the issue is that we have felt cheated by their advertising "if only everything in life was as reliable as a VW"

At least you have learnt a valuable life lesson not to belive advertising!

VW Liar - corax

That advert was from the eighties unless they've done a modern version. The Mark 2 Golf was featured which to be fair was a very good car at the time, but successive models haven't been quite as special.

VW Liar - Theophilus

That advert was from the eighties unless they've done a modern version.

Yes ... I guess they couldn't re-run that line today!

VW Liar - skidpan

Said it before and I will say it again. We have had a total of 5 VAG cars and the 6th is due on Wednesday.

All have been excellent with the possible exception of a Polo diesel. In truth not a bad car, no trouble with it but it was a slug. At least it was cheap to run and depreciation was minimal.

We are more than happy to keep buying them.

During the same period we have also had 4 Nissans and they don't get good ratings form some members. All ours jhave been 100% reliable and we will buy again I am sure.

VW Liar - daveyK_UK
VW did a similar advertising campaign last year.

We have 2 Skoda Rapids for the business, they will be our last ever VAG cars.

Its a shame that the Toyota and Honda model range in the U.K. are so limited.

Neither produce a car with the rear legroom, boot space and price of the Rapid.

VW Liar - skidpan

"We have 2 Skoda Rapids for the business, they will be our last ever VAG cars.

Its a shame that the Toyota and Honda model range in the U.K. are so limited.

Neither produce a car with the rear legroom, boot space and price of the Rapid. "

The rapid and its sister the Seat Toledo are quite honestly rubbish. They are based on old Polo/Ibiza/Fabia floorpans that have been stretched to give a big boot but the internal width and supemini rear legroom remain unchanged i.e. thay are not generous.

When you look at one its easy to be fooled but a deeper look would easilly reveal why they appear to be cheap. In reality a Leon or Octavia are not much more expensive but are both bigger, based on current technology and not much more expensive when you compare similar specs. Residuals ate particularly poor. For some reason Taxi's seem to love them but why when they are cramped in the back is beyond me. Suppose they hold a few days shopping for the local slobs who are too fat to walk from the shops. But since the slobs are so fat I do wonder how they fit.

They are a showroom filler, a car for those that are easilly fooled.

VW Liar - daveyK_UK
You really haven't compared the Rapid /Toledo with similar sized hatchbacks such as the Focus and 308 if you think the rear legroom is cramped.

It's the best in its class

The Octavia is now over priced and nothing special, somehow the Octavia manages to have worse road noise on the A14 than the Rapid despite being the more expensive car. Same 1.2 engine in both.

Rapid with 1.2 is great value for money and best around in terms of rear legroom and boot.

Anyway, join the fight www.vwemissionsaction.com/news/join-the-uk-legal-a...l

VW Liar - daveyK_UK

but the internal width and supemini rear legroom remain unchanged i.e. thay are not generous.

When you look at one its easy to be fooled but a deeper look would easilly reveal why they appear to be cheap. In reality a Leon or Octavia are not much more expensive but are both bigger, based on current technology and not much more expensive when you compare similar specs. Residuals ate particularly poor. For some reason Taxi's seem to love them but why when they are cramped in the back is beyond me. Suppose they hold a few days shopping for the local slobs who are too fat to walk from the shops. But since the slobs are so fat I do wonder how they fit.

They are a showroom filler, a car for those that are easilly fooled.

hahahahaha

h*********************/skoda/rapid/hatchback/review/in-the-cabin/

The space in the back will really impress family buyers: not only is access to the rear seats excellent, there’s as much legroom as in far larger family cars, and only passengers over six feet tall will suffer from any shortage of headroom. To cap it all, the boot is huge and the opening is a big, square shape.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/skoda/rapid-2012/?se...n

The front seats are easy to adjust and even with a tall driver up front there is space in the back for two adults – and they’ll ride in as much comfort as those in the front.

Good old skidpan and the perfect cars he always seems to buy along with his expert opinion.

Residuals average 43% across the model range, which is pretty average. But lets call it poor to keep skidpan happy.

less fake news, more facts going forward

VW Liar - Avant

When the Rapid first came out, I wondered why: there isn't that much of a gap between the Fabia and Octavia. But I think it's deliberately built down to a price and aimed at fleets, perhaps as a cheaper alternative to the Vauxhall Astra.

As you say, DaveyK, it does that job perfectly well. Where I'd disagree with you is that the behaviour of VW management is bad enough to put one off buying a VW in future. If that's the car I want, I'll still have one.

The Audi A1 (petrol 1.4) that we got for SWMBO in December is exactly what we need: great as a lively, nippy runabout but also comfortable and relaxing on a long run. In the front at least, you don't feel that you're in a small car at all. The icing on the cake is that it's giving better mpg than my diesel Volvo.

VW Liar - skidpan

Good old skidpan and the perfect cars he always seems to buy along with his expert opinion.

Not expert opinion, just my vew after over 40 years at the wheel and the ability to look and see past the advertising and journalists.

When we went to collect the Leon in 2013 the Toledo had recently been introduced but I had not even noticed it. When we were in the showroom there was one parked next to the salesmans desk with the boot open and my first thought was "why I have bought the Leon when this has such a hige boot for less money".

While we were waiting for the paperwork to be completed (badly) we had a look around the Toledo and other Seats and it was very quickly noticable why I would never have bought one. Very narrow inside (based on the Ibiza family), less legroom in the rear than the Leon (probably less than the 1 series I was part chopping), very odd specifications and the TSi variants still used the old and potentially unreliable Chain cam engines. Even the attractive prices were all smoke and mirrors when you looked at the specs and compared like for like with the brtand new and far superior Leon.

So whilst I will concede its got a huge boot I will never concede its has any other redeeming features. If you researched sales figures you will find that combined sales of the Skoda and Seat variants hve hardly shhok up the market.

What car are particularly uncomplementary about the Skoda Saceback version. Even their very VAG biased journo's have spotted the reduced bootspace has removed at a stroke its one class leading attribute.

But if you look at prices the Rapid and Toeldo clearly makes no sense.

1.2 110 PS TSi SE Rapid £16760 broker price 14343

1.2 110 PS TSi Toledo £17780 broke price £13835

But while you are in the Skoda showroom take the time to look at the far more modern Fabia Estate

1.2 110 PS TSi SE Estate £15820 broker price £13544

That is £800 less than a Rapid and £300 less than a Toledo.

So why buy old tech for more money.

If you spend a little bit more (about £1000) you can get Leon ST which has an even bigger boot, more interior space and probably better kit levels.

As for width the Rapid/Toledo is 1706, the Fabia 1732 and the Leon 1816 (all excluding mirrors). OK, I admit they are external dims but the Rapid/Toledo is the narrowest.

Even as a VAG fan I can see no features that would make me buy either the Toledo or Rapid over their more modern equivalents.

Cheap cars are fine if they are cheap, take the Dacia range as an example. But when supposed cheap cars are more expensive than thier modern alternatives from the same brands its clear the marketing people are barking mad.

Or maybe the Toledo/Rapid are sold as cheap cars in some markest and its just the UK being ripped off.

VW Liar - daveyK_UK

sorry skidpan, i think you are plain werong and as oes every single review and road test.

the rear legroom is huge, by far best in its class - i tried every vehicle on the market before buying it and nothing came close for under £20k and non MPV for rear legroom.

Some cars which erere ore epensive are simply dreadful for rear leg room, ford focus and c4 spring to mind.

The staff who use the Rapid's love them.

I paid just over £12k brand new for each of our rapids. I have seen offers to taxi companys of brand new top of the range Rapids with the 1,6 diesel for £12995.

While I agree the octavia is probably a better car (expcet the road noise insulation for some reason which is dreadful on an Octavia) , I doubt I could get one for anywhere near £12k brand new in mid spec trim.

VW Liar - skidpan

sorry skidpan, i think you are plain werong and as oes every single review and road test.

Only saying what I saw in a Seat showroom in June 2013. I am not simply repeating what the biased road test reports say, its a fact based on what I saw with my Mk 1 human eyes. I sat in the rear of both the Leon and the Toledo on the same morning and the Leon definitely had more legroom, more width and excellent access. The Toledo appeared little better than my BMW 118D and was the same as the Ibiza estate its based on.

While I agree the octavia is probably a better car (expcet the road noise insulation for some reason which is dreadful on an Octavia)

We have driven 4 Octaivias, 3 Estates and one hatch. All 3 estates were dreadful for road noise, 2 were 1.4 TSi, one was a 2.0 diesel, all on different brand tyres. The hatch was a 1.4 TSi and it was fine. So I concluded it was an estate thing. Would possibly have ordered an hatch if Skoda had not stopped taking orders (November 2016).

I doubt I could get one for anywhere near £12k brand new in mid spec trim.

You cannot get an Octavia for £12k at reputable brokers but the same brokers won't sell you a Toledo/Rapid for £12k either. The Octavia will cost about £1500 more in SE spec which is a bit of a bargain in my book especially when the Octavia is a brand new model with more kit (especially safety related kit).

VW Liar - daveyK_UK

ok skidpan, whatever you say.

your welcome to your opinion.

VW Liar - skidpan

When I was collecting the Superb today there was a Rabid hatch and a Rabid Sportback in the showroom, had a look at both the check my memory is not failing me.

Well its not. No better legroom in the rear than the Fabia but the hatch still has a huge boot. Sportback is pointless.

Both were priced north of £18000 which is crazy for a 1.2 TSi SE with no listed options.

The interior of both looked quite inviting until you touched the plastics. Horrid and hard.

VW Liar - SLO76
Don't quite add up new from the list prices I've seen but used they're a cracking buy. It is just a stretched Polo underneath but they're certainly a good bit bigger inside and out for the same if not less money than a Polo.

Work colleague of mine bought a Seat Toledo 1.6 TDi SE recently and for the money he paid I have to say I'm impressed. It's is built to a price, interior trim and plastics aren't quite a match for my wee Polo but it drives quite well, hits 60mpg day to day and has a decent boot but there's no denying the new list prices are unrealistic. At 1yr old they're around £3k less than the equivalent Octavia though and that's good value in my book. Auto Trader #DrivenByMe
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170226269...0

Edited by SLO76 on 01/03/2017 at 18:32

VW Liar - Engineer Andy

When I was collecting the Superb today there was a Rabid hatch and a Rabid Sportback in the showroom, had a look at both the check my memory is not failing me.

Well its not. No better legroom in the rear than the Fabia but the hatch still has a huge boot. Sportback is pointless.

Both were priced north of £18000 which is crazy for a 1.2 TSi SE with no listed options.

The interior of both looked quite inviting until you touched the plastics. Horrid and hard.

I remember a year or so ago (I think I posted abou this) I saw brand new ones (of this spec) being flogged for £11-12k - not sure why though (I don't think they were Euro imports that time, but I'm not 100% sure), which, given the reviews and your comments seems a more realistic price for spacious (good for minicabs - big boot on the hatch and reasonable space for 5 (?) inside) but low-rent, but hard-wearing interiors. I agree that £18k list price for that model is just plain silly - they need to drop the price by at least £2-3k, if not more.

Just had a look on HJ's 'Cars for Sale' (new) section, and many brokers are offering them for around £11k (90bhp 'S' version) - £12.5k (110 SE), so that's probably where I saw the cheapies before and about the right price.

IMO like its brother the Seat Toledo, and the Nissan Pulsar (not so good deals from the brokers at present - they used to have 35% off at around £12-13k, now 'only' 20% off) - they're cars that people only buy if they want just cheap, basic A to B transport and nothing else. Ok if you don't have the reddies and want a decent sized new car...perhaps only beaten by Dacias.

VW Liar - sandy56

Interesting comment. Shame that VW corporate feel they can lie to our MP's in Parliament.

VAG is a company I have not and will not deal with. They have a long history of deceipt and corruption. Look it up.

VW Liar - skidpan

VAG is a company I have not and will not deal with.

If you buy a VAG car you will not deal with VAG. You will visit one of their dealers just like you do with virtually every brand.

Some dealers are good, some are total s***e and that also applies to every brand.

So I suggest you buy the car you like and pray that its OK. Probably better than a warranty.