VW Golf (2004) MK5 - VW Golf - Lots of issues following a flat battery - JJ103

Hi All

My VW Golf (2004 MK5) wouldn't start on Monday despite being driven (albeit briefly) the day before. I assumed it had a flat battery as it had only been driven a few times over the previous 2 weeks on very short journeys so I charged the battery (as a jump start didn't work).

Car starts fine now BUT the wipers, horn, indicators and main beam do not work. Hazards and headlights are fine.

Furthermore the ESC and power steering system lights on the dash stay illuminated.

I took it to a garage for a diagnostics test and now have a bunch of error codes.

Does anyone have any advice regarding potential problems/solutions or where I can get some further clarification on what the error codes mean?

I suspect I will eventually have to take it back to the garage to be looked at further but am just worried about the huge costs that will rack up as they try to work out what the exact problem is...

Thanks in advance!

VW Golf (2004) MK5 - VW Golf - Lots of issues following a flat battery - bathtub tom

When you tried a jump start, could you have (even momentarily) connected the leads the wrong way round?

I'm 99% sure I didn't get the cables mixed up at any point - was careful as was worried I'd mess up the electrics.

VW Golf (2004) MK5 - VW Golf - Lots of issues following a flat battery - medview

Try disconnecting the battery negative for 15 minutes. This will reset the electrics.

When you reconnect, try to make a clean one-shot connection.

Joe

VW Golf (2004) MK5 - VW Golf - Lots of issues following a flat battery - elekie&a/c doctor

If disconnecting the battery does not fix it,I would check all fuses.There are 2 fuse boxes on these,one under the bonnet,next to the battery and one at the end of the dash,drivers side.You will need the door open for access.I would strongly suggest that you take a photo of both boxes before checking fuses as there are lots of empty locations not used and it is very easy to refit a fuse in the wrong place.

VW Golf (2004) MK5 - VW Golf - Lots of issues following a flat battery - FoxyJukebox

When i had a new battery on my Audi A3 ( a Golf!) , garage switched on ignition after connection and waited for at least a minute before turning start key. An awful lot happens to a car in that first 45 seconds...so ...yes...others are right..disconnect....check the leads are all in the right place....turn on again....wait a minute etc...

Fuses are step 2......

this is interesting-nterested in outcome--keep posting!

Disconnected negative and checked fuses - problem remains!

Am taking it to the garage this afternoon so will keep the post updated.

VW Golf (2004) MK5 - VW Golf - Lots of issues following a flat battery - Railroad.

Probably not relevant to your particular car because it's too old, but it's worth mentioning that newer models have a Battery Energy Management system to control the vehicle's electrical power. When changing the battery on these vehicles an OEM battery MUST be used, and the BEM code which will be on a sticker on the battery, and which comprises of the battery make, type and serial number MUST be entered into the battery regulator controller using suitable diagnostic equipment. If you don't do this, or if you use any old battery from a motor spares shop then you WILL have electrical problems that you won't be able to resolve, and you will have some non-functioning electrical systems and warning lights on the dash.

VW Golf (2004) MK5 - VW Golf - Lots of issues following a flat battery - madf

Probably not relevant to your particular car because it's too old, but it's worth mentioning that newer models have a Battery Energy Management system to control the vehicle's electrical power. When changing the battery on these vehicles an OEM battery MUST be used, and the BEM code which will be on a sticker on the battery, and which comprises of the battery make, type and serial number MUST be entered into the battery regulator controller using suitable diagnostic equipment. If you don't do this, or if you use any old battery from a motor spares shop then you WILL have electrical problems that you won't be able to resolve, and you will have some non-functioning electrical systems and warning lights on the dash.

Thanks for that.

I decided a decade ago never to buy another VAG car. Seem that was correct.

VW Golf (2004) MK5 - VW Golf - Lots of issues following a flat battery - Railroad.

Thanks for that.

I decided a decade ago never to buy another VAG car. Seem that was correct.

I dearsay other vehicle manufacturers are the same. If not now then in the future. All cars are loaded with technology these days, and all consume energy whigh needs to be correctly managed. Technology is here, it's going to advance further, and it's not going away. In my opinion the trapdoor will open for most small independent garages and repairers within the next five to ten years because they'll have no access to the information and software required to repair them, or the technical knowledge.

VW Golf (2004) MK5 - VW Golf - Lots of issues following a flat battery - liammcl

very true Railroad.

I do computers (for 30 years), and am getting calls from autotechnicians to setup obd2 readers (chinas best from fleabay) and other electrical gizmos for use diagnosing problems on the car.
The equipment from Ebay are a fifth of the price, but there is a gamble if things go *ssszzz, poof* while plugged into a customers car.
Some autotechnicians use an oscilloscope to diagnose the waveform to check quality of leading edge etc for timing and activation.
It all seems like cutting edge stuff, till I say I was doing all this is computers in the 1980s !

What cutting state of the art, car do I drive...?
it's a performance peugeot 106 1.1, which is 20 years old.
It thinks electric windows and power steering ,
are a new fangled craze, and the work of the devil :)
Admitedly, it would crumple like a can of pop in a crash....

I know? the technology in cars is driven by the consumer thinking they need the latest gizmos, which the manufacturers are more than happy to oblige.

There seems? to be a market for a simple to fix car, without all the electronics on board?

Anywho, I wonder if it does all goes electrical,
whether there'd be just a motor and some wheels. simples

Cheers
Liam

Edited by liammcl on 15/02/2017 at 18:29