Quickest way towards the driving test in the uk. - lleiro

Hi everyone,

I know the title might seem fishy but it is a a long story.

I am a foreigner and have had a licence for 20 years. Drove hundreds of thousands of miles in different countries, mountains, ice, you name it. Never had an accident in my life.

Came to the UK and the law allows me to drive for a year on my foreign licence after which I have to take the test. I used up that year and drove some 15k miles commuting from london to reading 3 times a week and on road trips as far out as north Scotland

In the meantime I have become a UK resident and because of bureaucratic reasons I was not allowed to drive since September. Home Office provided all the documentation stating that I was legally here but DVLA wont give me a licence until I have the Resident Card.

I believe that my rights were violated but that is not an avenue that I have any desire to explore.

Long story short, I received my resident card jan 3rd, applied for a provisional licence and as soon as I received it, schedule my theory exam which I passed 4 days after I received the licence.

That was one month ago. Unfortunately I do not have family here to insure and borrow a car to go to the test so I am in the hands of motoring schools.

After been dismissed and ignore my many. I finally got an assesment lesson last Friday and besides incorporating the hand brake when first in line on a red line and exagerating my neck motion on the mirrors I am ready to go. The guy was supposed to schedule the test for next week but havent heard back and my anxiety is getting the best of me.

Long story short, I am a full time teacher in the reading area and I live in Southwest London and the Southwest train commute plus the bus and walk commutes in between schools is literally making me sick. Have a had a bad cold for a month and I can not shake it off. So the lack of car is jeopardizing both my job and my health and making me misserable and is all due to a bureaucratic nonsense.

My question to you all is, does any body know of an area where there is not a waiting list for the test with some friendly motoring school willing to give me another "assesment" lesson and go for the test with me in a very short notice?

I really don't care if I need to get an 8 hour train ride as long as I come back with my licence.

Next week is half term and have the time and I was never without a car for this long and I never needed it more either and I am not sure I will survive teaching 30 hours and spending 25 on public transportation for much longer.

Any help, advise of helpful tip will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Quickest way towards the driving test in the uk. - alan1302

The guy was supposed to schedule the test for next week but havent heard back and my anxiety is getting the best of me.

Why not contact him first and ask about what is happening.

I already did and he has not been the most responsive.

A whole week went by and I havent heard from him and a week feels like eternity in my current circumstances

Quickest way towards the driving test in the uk. - focussed

It doesn't sound like your current driving instructor is very motivated.

Look for another driving instructor by postcode here:-

finddrivinginstructor.direct.gov.uk/DSAFindNearest...n

Quickest way towards the driving test in the uk. - TedCrilly

I read recently that waiting times at busy test centres are in the order of 3-4 months so unless you try for a cancellation I can't see how things can be rushed. You really are at the mercy of the local instructors and I expect they will be more interested in dealing with and providing for regular customers rather than attending to you on a one off basis.

The way I see it you have no option but to find an instructor that is more sympathetic to your needs, to be prepared to pay a significant sum to him as an enticement and (like everyone else) take your place in the queue.

An assessment lesson/s is not unreasonable. I would not be prepared to let an unqualified driver of unknown abilith out in my car for an hour, nor be responsible for any insurance implications in the event of an incident.

Edited by TedCrilly on 11/02/2017 at 10:34

Quickest way towards the driving test in the uk. - RichardW

Arnold Clark do rental of dual control cars - you would need to find someone with a full licence to hire it though.

These people appear to be able search for cancellations, for a (one off) fee: www.driving-test-cancellations-4all.co.uk/driving-...m

No idea if you can manage this for nothing on one of DVLA's portals.

Very happy to report that I found a company last saturday that found me a slot this morning and I just passed the test with only two minors!

Would recommend this company dearly for anyone in a similar situation.

Thanks for your comments and tips.

Quickest way towards the driving test in the uk. - Avant

Well done! Congratulations.