Opening car door like the Dutch could save cyclist - Fishermans Bend

We should be educated to do this here, starting with learner drivers.

www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/the-dutch-reach-ho.../

Opening car door like the Dutch could save cyclist - John F

Best thing I've seen on here in a long time. I lost count of the number of times trundling by crawling cars I've nearly been 'doored' by school kids wanting to walk the last few yards of the traffic jam. No inside cycle lane marking for the backwards UK, of course! And let's have no nonsense about 'cyclists should be overtaking on the outside' in such urban stop-start situations. We would be forever weaving from the outside to the inside. I expect Bromptonaut will agree.....

Opening car door like the Dutch could save cyclist - Bromptonaut

No inside cycle lane marking for the backwards UK, of course! And let's have no nonsense about 'cyclists should be overtaking on the outside' in such urban stop-start situations. We would be forever weaving from the outside to the inside. I expect Bromptonaut will agree.....

Passengers bailing out via a nearside door is one of many reasons to avoid riding fast, or indeed at all, on kerbside of a queue. Technique above helps car occupants avoid problems

If there is a queue on the whole I'd say overtake on outside as that's where drivers expect overtakers to be.

Opening car door like the Dutch could save cyclist - sandy56

Netherlans operate very differently from the UK. Thay have been developing their cycle use for about 50 years or more. It would be impossible for the UK to adopt their road/cycle practises without huge investment in cycle lanes, which isnt going to happen anytime soon. The current UK situation is just a mess, with cycle lanes separated from cars by a white line. What nonsense.

Terrain is more cyclist friendly too.

Opening car door like the Dutch could save cyclist - alan1302

I just look in the door mirror before getting out.

Opening car door like the Dutch could save cyclist - jc2

I was following a police car that suddenly dived towards the kerb and as I went to overtake,the driver's door was flung open.As my speed was low,I managed to stop inches from the open door.I received a very abject apology from a very redfaced policeman.

Opening car door like the Dutch could save cyclist - Avant

Thank you Alan - that was just what I was thinking while reading through the thread.

Surely you get a much better view of a cyclist, or anyone else, coming up behind you by looking in the mirror. Or am I missing somethng?

Even if I am, sorry to be cynical but I can't see the Dutch contortion catching on: it's a very unnatural movement.

Opening car door like the Dutch could save cyclist - mss1tw
So's driving a car, none of those movements are found in nature ;)
Opening car door like the Dutch could save cyclist - hillman

My grandson told me that he was once cycling to school and passing a standing queue of cars waiting to enter the drop-off area. A pupil opened the nearside door just as my g/s was alongside. My g/s rode into the door, breaking the door stay and folding the door against the front wing. He quickly collected himself and rode on hoping that the driver was too confused to react, which he was.

Opening car door like the Dutch could save cyclist - focussed

Alternatively, cyclists could be educated to use road positoning to protect themselves by not skimming parked cars.

Motorcyclists training for the CBT or the test proper have this drummed into them.

Q - How much clearance should you give a parked car?

A - At least an open door and half's width.

www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2012/jul...s

Alternatively, cyclists could be educated to use road positoning to protect themselves by not skimming parked cars.

Motorcyclists training for the CBT or the test proper have this drummed into them.

In an ideal world.

Opening car door like the Dutch could save cyclist - Bolt

Bikes are not the only road/path users to be careful of, children and adults have a habit of walking (kids running) into the road on the way to school,adults running for a train or bus without looking where they are going

Some people seem to be going about in the poor light with dark clothes on so they are not easy to see, at least some bikes are lit up and easy to see. for those who havent got clouded windows that is!

Opening car door like the Dutch could save cyclist - focussed

In an ideal world.

It' got nothing to do with an "ideal" world - it's just what you do to protect yourself.

Never put your safety in the hands of another road user.

Opening car door like the Dutch could save cyclist - Engineer Andy

Thank you Alan - that was just what I was thinking while reading through the thread.

Surely you get a much better view of a cyclist, or anyone else, coming up behind you by looking in the mirror. Or am I missing somethng?

Even if I am, sorry to be cynical but I can't see the Dutch contortion catching on: it's a very unnatural movement.

I was thinking the same as you and Alan - I always check with the mirror and look over my shoulder for the blind spot. For me, its do as you preach, given I was a keen cyclist for many years (and still occasionally partake) and knew about idiot drivers opening doors without looking.

Opening car door like the Dutch could save cyclist - MikeM100

I would have thought that the use of so called 'suicide doors' would be slightly better for cyclists ?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_door

On impact the cyclist would then be deflected way from the car and the door would be forced back to close.

More seriously I tried the 'Dutch Method' yesterday and it does remind and ensure that you look backwards

Opening car door like the Dutch could save cyclist - Avant

Good point - suicide doors might be better for cyclists from the point of view of immediate impact - although would they be more likely to deflect the cyclist into the middle of the road?

I still remember a road safety film - probably from RoSPA - that I saw as a child in the 1950s, where a man parked his Austin Eight at the side of the road and opened his door without looking back. The door was immediately knocked right off the car by a Bentley driven by actor James Robertson Justice. I can still visualise this indignant little man standing in the road holding his door.

Opening car door like the Dutch could save cyclist - Sofa Spud

I've never heard of the 'Dutch reach' but that's the way I usually open the door anyway, at least if I'm stopped in the street, as it prevents one automaticaly from opening the door more than a few inches.

I can't remember any near misses with car doors when I've been cycling past parked cars or with bicycles when I've been getting out of the car. But I do clearly remember a car passenger flinging the door open wide when I was driving past in my car though, luckily I managed to stop - only just!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 12/02/2017 at 18:46