Hyundai - Hyundai i30 Estate - killie77
Hi
I think it's time to move my 1 series BMW on it failed its last MOT on a couple of minor things which once I've fixed and have it retested will then put it up for Sale. I've been looking around for a small estate car and came across a Hyundai i30 estate it's a 58 plate with 80000 miles a 1.6 petrol
It seems in very good condition with service history. Never owned one of these before and I was wondering if their any good. Have had a look at the Reviews on HJ and they seem favourable.
Anything I should look out for ?
Thanks
Hyundai - Hyundai i30 Estate - SLO76
Good cars but watch for rust underneath particularly on crossmembers and subframes. Ask to start and drive the car from cold to check for clutch judder and pay close attention to the biting point, clutches are a weak point on most Kia's and Hyundai's though less so on petrol cars.

Listen also for timing chain rattle. It should go silent almost immediately after cold starting, if it doesn't it's a costly job to replace it and as with any chain driven car reject any that haven't proof of annual oil changes. They don't take kindly to neglect.

It's vital to hear it from cold so tell the seller this before you go then on arrival pop the bonnet and put a hand on the engine. If it's warm you know they're hiding something, I find watching their face as I do this quite revealing.
Thanks for the advice
Only had a quick look the other day Bodywork was good as was the Interior . Will make sure and have a listen to it from cold and I will be taking for a test drive. It's at a dealership up in Wishaw their putting it through an MOT this week so will be Thursday or from Friday before I can check it out.
The bodywork lasts well on them but the rust protection underneath is poor. People look at the body and assume it's fine so don't bother getting under the thing for a look which could shock you. There was a thread on here the other day regarding a Kia Sportage with major rot underneath on an 05 plate.

It's very common to see otherwise tidy Kia's and Hyundai's scrapped early through rot. Structurally they don't last as well as European rivals but mechanically they're up there with the best of you can find one that's not seen too many salty roads so make sure you take a torch and have a good look underneath and stress you don't want it started on the morning before your test drive, though to be fair it would be unusual to hear a rattling chain on one as long as it's been serviced every year.

Sadly many people buy them simply because they're cheap and reliable then they scrimp on servicing which is unwise on any car especially with a chain driven engine. Look also for longterm ownership which signifies a happy precious owner.

Edited by SLO76 on 05/02/2017 at 08:24

Have decided not to go with the Hyundai don't think i could live with the car on a day to day basis. Will keep the 1 series for the time being. I have a love hate relatioship with the Beemer, this morning lying under it in the pouring rain changing the front wheel bearing I hated it. But i know on a day to day basis it does the job :)

Wasn't really lying under the Car more like hunched over praying for the rain to stop. Scottish Weather we love it..

Hyundai - Hyundai i30 Estate - corax

Dreich.

That was the swearing I heard when I was in Killie earlier...

Nothing wrong with Killie. I should know i was born in the Scheme :)

My missus comes from Bellfield for my sins...

When we were Kids we thought Belfield was very posh.

Now that's saying something..