First Mazda SkyActiv Turbo is Wheels Car of Year - Fishermans Bend

The CX-9 beats a field of over 50 cars to be Wheels COTY 2017

We are probably too obsessed with diesels for it to come here................a shame.

www.wheelsmag.com.au/car-of-the-year/1702/mazda-cx...t

First Mazda SkyActiv Turbo is Wheels Car of Year - brum

1. Its not the winner, its in the final 6

2. Its a turbo, so whats happenned to sky activ alternative approach /simplicity?

3. Its Australia, nothing to do with us.

4. Its a magazine. So just a palm greasing exercise. Many "cars of the year" fade into obscurity pretty quickly when they turn out to be polished turds.

"A true indicator of the CX-9’s excellence is how it manages to meld together the core COTY disciplines – Function, Technology, Efficiency, Safety, Value – into one consistently satisfying whole."

Yeah....

Edited by brum on 02/02/2017 at 22:52

First Mazda SkyActiv Turbo is Wheels Car of Year - Listeria

I drove a 2017, Mazda 9 in the US in November from a major car hire co. It was a 3.5 L Auto, it was configured for 7 seats (only ever used the front two).

It was very easy and reliable to drive, with good feedback on snow and ice. It is a S Max competitor, but could not see it selling well in UK.

First Mazda SkyActiv Turbo is Wheels Car of Year - Fishermans Bend

1. Its not the winner, its in the final 6

2. Its a turbo, so whats happenned to sky activ alternative approach /simplicity?

3. Its Australia, nothing to do with us.

4. Its a magazine. So just a palm greasing exercise. Many "cars of the year" fade into obscurity pretty quickly when they turn out to be polished turds.

"A true indicator of the CX-9’s excellence is how it manages to meld together the core COTY disciplines – Function, Technology, Efficiency, Safety, Value – into one consistently satisfying whole."

Yeah....

Brum, would you like to revise 1. ?

www.wheelsmag.com.au/car-of-the-year/1702/2017-car...t

www.wheelsmag.com.au/car-of-the-year/1702/mazda-cx...r

www.wheelsmag.com.au/reviews/1607/2016-mazda-cx-9-...w

Edited by Fishermans Bend on 03/02/2017 at 08:33

Well you should have posted the correct link then shouldnt ypu?

First Mazda SkyActiv Turbo is Wheels Car of Year - craig-pd130

It's interesting that Mazda have gone the turbo route, and Honda too (with the petrol engines in the new Civic). Honda in particular has always been staunchly anti-turbo for its petrol cars.

First Mazda SkyActiv Turbo is Wheels Car of Year - SLO76
"It's interesting that Mazda have gone the turbo route, and Honda too (with the petrol engines in the new Civic). Honda in particular has always been staunchly anti-turbo for its petrol cars"

Guess it's the only way to meet emissions targets and post competitive economy and performance figures. Also although the might be late to the party I believe the Japanese will do it right, learning from everyone else's mistakes and through taking enough time for proper durability testing. European firms have a history of leaving that to customers... come on down Ford with your rotten attitude to Ecoboost engine failures.

I like the idea of Honda's new Civic 1.0 turbo. Put it in the Jazz and it should transform it from wheezy out of its depth supermini when on the motorway to lively and capable alrounder.
"IAlso although the might be late to the party I believe the Japanese will do it right,

You mean like Toyota did with their diesels?

First Mazda SkyActiv Turbo is Wheels Car of Year - SLO76
Toyota diesels and early turbo diesels were next to bombproof. Once took an old ex taxi H plate Carina 2.0 XLd with 452k as a part ex that drove perfectly and regularly seen old 2.4 diesel Hi Lux's with mega miles.

They did drop the ball with the 2.2 D4-D and apparently some 2.0's, though I've seen plenty of mega mile Avensis taxis that would refute that.

Not sure the move to buying in BMW diesels will prove wise in the long run (though I get why they don't want to invest in diesel now) and the deal with PSA to buy in Peugeot Expert vans and glue Toyota badges on will no doubt damage the brand.
First Mazda SkyActiv Turbo is Wheels Car of Year - craig-pd130

My first company car was a Volvo V40 (the older estate-body version) with the 2.0T light pressure turbo. Turbo was watercooled and the intercooler was truck-sized, all massively robust.

That was a lovely engine, loads of torque from tickover rpm and went very well. Economy was shocking by today's standards, though. Mid-20s mpg on average.