August daytime travel, busiest Friday or Saturday? - John F

We must drive from the Midlands to Dorchester in mid- August. Do we go on Friday or Saturday? I'm resigned to horrendous traffic on either day but would be grateful for a view from any cross-country high-milers here, please.

August daytime travel, busiest Friday or Saturday? - gordonbennet

If you can do early morning, and i mean early morning, in the car by 5am Fri at the latest, you'll be in Dorchester for a slightly late breakfast, Fridays up to about midday can be surprisingly quiet, it's midday when the lemmings flood out and drive headlong to oblivion.

If you can't do early then i'd leave around 6pm Friday evening or mid afternoon Saturday.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.

August daytime travel, busiest Friday or Saturday? - RT

Midlands - South-west, and vice versa, has always been worse Fri afternoon/early evening and Saturday morning/midday.

We used to travel down the M5/A38 to south Devon by leaving the Midlands about 8pm Friday night and arriving about about 1am - but we had a touring caravan to sleep in until the site office opened next morning.

For Dorchester, I'd suggest Friday morning, Saturday evening or Sunday

August daytime travel, busiest Friday or Saturday? - RobJP

I'd agree with Gordon. Get on the road really early.

A few years ago we were driving from North Wales to Plymouth on a Saturday - the August bank holiday weekend.

Left at 5am, were going past Gloucester services by 9am, and the roads were still quiet.

August daytime travel, busiest Friday or Saturday? - daveyjp
I've done both Leeds Cardiff and Leeds Southampton in 4 hours leaving at 6 on a Saturday morning.

Midlands to Dorchester shouldn't be a problem if you leave at that time. 3-3.5 hours?
August daytime travel, busiest Friday or Saturday? - SLO76
Friday or Saturday night are my favoured travel times. Hardly any traffic and bare minimum of traffic police to impede progress but overnight roadworks can catch you out so try to find out what's planned beforehand.
August daytime travel, busiest Friday or Saturday? - Ian_SW

If you leave the Midlands after about 3pm on a Saturday in summer it's a surprisingly fast run down the M5. Most people going on holiday in Devon and Cornwall have to arrive before 6pm so can't leave that late.

If you can't leave at that time, as you're going to Dorchester rather than Devon or Cornwall, you don't need to go on the M5. The 'Fosse Way' route (A429) is surprisingly free of traffic, and after Cirencester you can carry on down past Chippenham to Dorchester on the A350. The A350 is full of lorries during the week, but not too bad at weekends. Don't expect to average much more than about 50 over the route as it's mostly single carriageway, but you won't on the M5 on a Saturday at that time of year anyway, and the Fosse Way route is about 30 miles shorter.

August daytime travel, busiest Friday or Saturday? - John F

Thanks for your views - I'll try to avoid the lemmings!

August daytime travel, busiest Friday or Saturday? - concrete

As with others, timing is everything. On a Friday it's very early or very late to avoid the worst. Saturday will be much quieter naturally, up until about 10 or 11am. M40 then A34 was my old route to that part of the world. Good roads, mainly dual carriageway and you can make good progress without too much stress. Good luck. Concrete

August daytime travel, busiest Friday or Saturday? - Smileyman

be up before the sparrows and stop for breakfast in the middle of the morning rush hour ...

August daytime travel, busiest Friday or Saturday? - drd63

As others have said, leave at 5am Saturday morning, not sure about taking the A34 it's not an obvious route to Dorchester.