Vauxhall Signum `facelift' - Motor Factors - New headlamps - beware non OEM ? - omega2498

My wife has been complaining about the headlamps on our well maintained 55 plate Vauxhall Signum, and the OE `gobstopper' projector lens on the halogen dip beams do look cloudy.

I bought a pair of Far Eastern copy headlamps, and after a number of problems, have sent them back for a refund.

I then got an offer of a 50% discount from one of the larger national motor factors, and duly specifically ordered a pair of Valeos as there was an option for `premium' headlamps.

There was no further communication from the Factor, apart from a date to pick them up. So I rolled up at the Factor, only to be presented with pair of the same type of Far Eastern items. I rejected them.

The Factor's Head Office says thay have the right to substitute `equivalent parts', but in my view there was no way they were of equivalent quality.

So if you do see a 50% or similar discount offer, beware this Factor does not palm you off with the inferior stuff :-(

Vauxhall Signum `facelift' - Motor Factors - New headlamps - beware non OEM ? - kiss (keep it simple)

Just replaced a headlamp on a 1996 Polo due to stone damage. Went to local motorists centre who ordered one for next day collection. £40 for what I expected to be some dodgy knockoff. Guess what, a genuine Lucas!

Vauxhall Signum `facelift' - Motor Factors - New headlamps - beware non OEM ? - Cyd

"the OE `gobstopper' projector lens on the halogen dip beams do look cloudy."

They're supposed to

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/knowitall/clearlenses.html

11 years old - I'll wager it was the bulbs performance tailing off

and if you tried cheap bulbs - well, they're cheap for a reason

or,

the PC clear casing front is getting weathered and pitted.

These can be restored easily with 1000 & 2000 grit and a UV resistant clear coat

Vauxhall Signum `facelift' - Motor Factors - New headlamps - beware non OEM ? - focussed

I replaced the left-dip headlight units for right- dip units on our L200 truck for driving on the right.

The replacements are Depo brand from Taiwan -much better light output and better beam cut-off than the originals which were branded Stanley.