Volkswagen Polo GTI - PCP - trade in early or not? - stuuz

Hello,

I currently PCP a 2015 polo GTI, which is approaching the 2 year mark in March.

I recently found out that my partner and I will be having a baby in September (ish), and so I'm contemplating trading in early for a bigger car.

I was hoping to move on to something a lot nicer, eg Jag XE / audi s3 but with baby on the way I'm thinking of keeping costs down a bit and sticking with a more modest skoda octavia vrs.

They are currently phasing out the old model so have a good deal on it at the minute, 0% Apr and 2000 deposit contribution means I'd pay roughly £40 a month more than do for the polo.

Problem is my car has been valued at £300 less than I owe on the finance. Not a huge issue but I got the gti over the bluegt as the residuals were hopefully a lot better. Just don't want to lose out if it's likely to balance out more over the next 12 months and swing the other way.

Does anyone have an opinion on how the valuation on my polo might change over the next year?

Cheers

Stu

Volkswagen Polo GTI - PCP - trade in early or not? - skidpan

I'm thinking of keeping costs down a bit and sticking with a more modest skoda octavia vrs.

They are currently phasing out the old model so have a good deal on it at the minute, 0% Apr and 2000 deposit contribution

Back in November we looked at the Octavia but we decided on a Superb.

There were several good reasons to get the Superb but the main one was quite simple. Even in November it was dealer or central stock only and despite only wanting a relatively modest model there were none that met our spec anywhere. Move on 2 months and those stocks will be further depleted so you choice will be severely depleted and you may find yourself having to have many expensive and unesessery extras simply because all the value spec cars have gone and the PCP will be much higher.

Just because they are advertising them does not mean they exist.

Volkswagen Polo GTI - PCP - trade in early or not? - RT

I don't see your issue - it's current value can be determined from a dealer - it's value at the end of the PCP is the balloon payment.

Volkswagen Polo GTI - PCP - trade in early or not? - stuuz

Not always the case, my dad had his old car valued at 4000 more than the balloon payment at the end of his PCP, gave him a huge deposit and therefore lower monthlies on the replacement.

If mine is likely to be worth more than the balloon at the end because of the depreciation slowing down then it might be worth holding out. I just can't judge it and wanted some opinions!

Volkswagen Polo GTI - PCP - trade in early or not? - SLO76
The next generation Polo is due at the end of the year which will badly dent residuals especially on top end variant like your GTi so I don't see your position improving by holding on. www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/polo/96159/new-sp...i
Volkswagen Polo GTI - PCP - trade in early or not? - Avant

Your Polo GTI has done remarkably well (assuming it's a 3-year PCP) to have only £300 negative equity after less than 2 years: clearly a good choice in the first place. You could have a bit of positive equity in it nearer the end of the contract, but bearing in mind what SLO76 says (and he's in the car business), there probably won't be much in it.

The Octavia vRS will be a good choice, particularly the petrol version: either the hatch or the estate will be far more roomy than your other two choices. New parents are always surprised by how much stuff a baby needs when travelling.

Maybe see if there's a good deal on a car currently in stock (the dealer will look for you at what's is the system) and go for it is so: if not don't despair too much as a facelifted model will hold its value better.