Full speed ahead....... - Dwight Van Driver

Brexit | European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Bill

A bill to confer power on the Prime Minister to notify, under Article 50(2) of the Treaty on European Union, the United Kingdom’s intention to withdraw from the EU.

Be it enacted by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal, and Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Power to notify withdrawal from the EU

(1)The Prime Minister may notify, under Article 50(2) of the Treaty on European Union, the United Kingdom’s intention to withdraw from the EU.

(2)This section has effect despite any provision made by or under the European Communities Act 1972 or any other enactment.

2 Short title

This Act may be cited as the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act 2017.

Full speed ahead....... - Vitesse6

on the road to disaster

Full speed ahead....... - Cris_on_the_gas

Great we will lose the right to visit, live, work or study in 27 other countries.

Full speed ahead....... - gordonbennet

Excellent news, we'll see if the party currently masquerading as Conservative fulfil their obligations, and we'll see if the 17.4 million Britsh voters have the backbone to carry through what we started and sack them when they don't.

What an excellent year 2016 was, Brexit then Trump, at last the majority awoke from their slumber.

Sorry Mr President, you can't have Sir Nigel just yet, he'll be needed here for further good works for a while.

Edited by gordonbennet on 26/01/2017 at 17:09

Full speed ahead....... - skidpan

Avant

This has nothing whatsoever to do with motoring legal issues so could I suggest you move it to somewhere more suitable, perhaps Venus or even Pluto.

Fed up hearing about the idiotic Brexit decision and the idiot Trump.

Were all doomed.

I think the seventh planet may be more suitable for POTUS

Full speed ahead....... - dadbif
Putting the Great back in Britain...
Full speed ahead....... - csgmart
Putting the Great back in Britain...

Big time.

Excellent news, we'll see if the party currently masquerading as Conservative fulfil their obligations, and we'll see if the 17.4 million Britsh voters have the backbone to carry through what we started and sack them when they don't.

What an excellent year 2016 was, Brexit then Trump, at last the majority awoke from their slumber.

Sorry Mr President, you can't have Sir Nigel just yet, he'll be needed here for further good works for a while.

Well said GB. Let's just get on with the job in hand. We've several decades of PC nonsense and lefty indoctrination to unwind.

Edited by csgmart on 26/01/2017 at 19:59

on the road to disaster

So far all the doom mongers have been proved wrong and I rather suspect that will continue to be the case.

"So far all the doom mongers have been proved wrong and I rather suspect that will continue to be the case."

In case you hadn't noticed, brexit hasn't happened yet, we are still members of the EU.

We have jumped off the roof and are still on the way down, so far, so good!

In case you hadn't noticed, brexit hasn't happened yet, we are still members of the EU.

We have jumped off the roof and are still on the way down, so far, so good!

Yes, I had noticed but all the Remoaners out there obviously haven't. The main stream media also take an entirely biased view about Brexit and Trump. All pretty negative and "despite Brexit" when there is good news. Fake News is everywhere.

I find a positive attitude to all things usually gets the desired results. I'd recommend it to all.

Edited by csgmart on 27/01/2017 at 06:37

Full speed ahead....... - FP

'The main stream media also take an entirely biased view about Brexit and Trump. All pretty negative and "despite Brexit" when there is good news. Fake News is everywhere.'

UK papers are not all taking the same "entirely biased" view of Brexit. The Guardian has been largely negative, whereas the right-wing red-tops have been absurdly positive.

I find it exasperating that Brexit and Trump seem somehow equatable. And I find it impossibe to be positive about Trump. To put it as kindly as I can: it seems to me incredible that someone with his personal characteristics and beliefs, and his lack of any experience of government, could be thought for even a brief moment to be qualified to be leader of the most powerful country in the world.

Being positive about life, which I applaud, does not mean blindly believing all is well with the world.

Full speed ahead....... - concrete

There will be no substantive change to international trade and business. No matter which country or trading bloc is involved they cannot afford to upset the apple cart where trade is concerned. It is the very lifeblood of economies and pretty much the sacred cow of most modern countries.

As for disaster, I see none of that either. Only the people in denial who cannot wait for bad news to leap upon and cry 'I told you so'. On most fronts the established conventions will remain in place apart from some rejigging to accommodate British law as opposed to EU law.

The really big win is for democracy. Which of course we have just had with this referendum, although some won't accept this. Democracy is a complete anathema to the EU and all the unelected officials who run it. We now, again have complete control over our own destiny through the ballot box. Tell that to the mediocre ex Mayor of some minute city in Luxembourg, the preening idiot that is Jean Claude Junkers. Who on earth would have someone like him and Tusk and Shultz and Kinnock organising our lives to n'th degree? All failed politicians in their own countries, shipped off to the EU out of the way of domestic politics. The reward for failure is pretty good from what I can see. None of these people are fit to lace my boots never mind run a federal states of Europe. Happy days.

Cheers Concrete

Well said. A nice, balanced argument.

It's people who say things like "we won't be able to travel, work or live in the EU" who really need to get a grip on reality. They've listened to too many of the scare stories and actually believe them!

Currently we have a right to travel, live and work in the EU. We have the right to healthcare under reciprocal agreements. Your car insurance covers you automatically at no extra cost to drive in the EEA.

What will happen after Brexit? No one KNOWS. Some people say the rights will continue, but even Jeremy Hunt when questioned by the Health Select Committee admiitted that whilst he wanted reciprocal healthcare to continue, he didn't know whether it would or not.

These aren't scare stories, WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN AFTER WE LEAVE THE EU.

If you know better, then give us the evidence.

Full speed ahead....... - alan1302

These aren't scare stories, WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN AFTER WE LEAVE THE EU.

If we don't know yet then they are scare stories...

So, it's OK for those on the Remain side to say things will be terrible but those on the Leave side can't say it will be fine? You shouldn't be fearful of the unknown.

George Osborne's emergency budget threat swung it for me....

Perhaps those Guardian readers who consider themselves to be superiour to the rest of us 'plebs' might do well to think about why they find themselves in this situation. It's largely because of their disgraceful and dishonest behaviour over the past 40 years or so. The worm has turned and now it's time for a different set of values to take over - change and it's about time.

Full speed ahead....... - SLO76
No point on anyone getting their knickers in a twist over it, democracy has spoken and the result is clear... We're offski.

I personally voted to stay purely on economic grounds (did the same in the Scottish referendum for many more) but I believe there are positives and negatives from both outcomes in this case, unlike the Scottish question and was far from devastated to hear I'd lost. Did cost me a buck or two with Mr Ladbrokes though.

Reality is, now the choice has been made we have to move on together and make the best future possible. Having the most pro business people at the helm at this point is vital, people who understand commerce, know how to generate wealth and create jobs. It would be a disaster if we had the likes of Corbyn in power through it.

Edited by SLO76 on 27/01/2017 at 21:04

Full speed ahead....... - Bolt
No point on anyone getting their knickers in a twist over it, democracy has spoken and the result is clear... We're offski. I personally voted to stay purely on economic grounds (did the same in the Scottish referendum for many more) but I believe there are positives and negatives from both outcomes in this case, unlike the Scottish question and was far from devastated to hear I'd lost. Did cost me a buck or two with Mr Ladbrokes though. Reality is, now the choice has been made we have to move on together and make the best future possible. Having the most pro business people at the helm at this point is vital, people who understand commerce, know how to generate wealth and create jobs. It would be a disaster if we had the likes of Corbyn in power through it.

Yes he should be replaced with Nigel at least he talks sense and makes a good leader, I cant see how Corbyn has kept his position tbh

It seems that denial is a chronic condition that sadly has no cure. The constant cry of 'We don't know what's going on' and 'the government should tell us their position on negotiations'. Well I would like to know how they were constantly kept in the loop by the government before the referendum? Because I wasn't. We have never known what is going on in the corridors of power on any given subject until a conclusion had been reached, and if the information was constantly supplied you would go blind reading it. We elect politicians and pay civil servants to carry out the formulaic tasks of administering acts of parliament. If eventually we don't like it we can vote them out. As for negotiations: I can only assume that the outcry for a running commentary is from those who never had to negotiate anything of real importance. The last thing any negotiator would do is reveal their strategy to the opposing side. It would be commercial suicide. In my last 15 years as a senior manager in a very large construction company, building very large projects my life was spent negotiating. The only people who knew my strategy were certain members of my team and my Operations Director who had to sanction my deals. The very though of giving away vital information to satisfy people who can't even understand it is preposterus. The sudden clamour for knowing what the future will bring is ridiculous. If we knew what was going to happen in the future, there is no point in getting out of bed on a morning. I do worry for the future if this is the sum total of academic argument some people can raise.

Cheers Concrete

Another fantastic post.

I wish I could uptick you...

Couldn't agree more concrete. The hysteria from opposition politicians and sheep like followers demanding the government give away full details surrounding their negotiating planning is ridiculous in the extreme.
Full speed ahead....... - Sofa Spud

I agree with others that leaving the EU is the road to disaster.

We lose EU our citizenship, access to Single Market and quite likely the UK will split up. We'll still have to comply with many EU regulations but will no longer have any say in their implementation. But we're on the road to Brexit now so at least Parliament hasn't been by-passed now.

My own thought is that Brexit will start to look so unappealing to so many people that we'll have a second referendum before the final break, which could be years away.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 29/01/2017 at 12:15

Full speed ahead....... - Wackyracer

We lose EU our citizenship, access to Single Market and quite likely the UK will split up.

We will still have access, just on different terms to what we have now. As we buy alot from the EU members, they are unlikely to shoot themselves in the foot.

As for the UK splitting up, Scotland has been wanting to be separate from the rest of us for a long time before brexit.

We'll still have to comply with many EU regulations but will no longer have any say in their implementation. But we're on the road to Brexit now so at least Parliament hasn't been by-passed now.

So in reality, nothing is going to change there. We never had any input to the EU regulations anyway.

My own thought is that Brexit will start to look so unappealing to so many people that we'll have a second referendum before the final break, which could be years away.

I think the second referendum is what the remoaners are hoping for. I voted to leave and I'm not going to be changing my mind. There are plenty of countries outside of the EU that trade with EU countries everyday.

Full speed ahead....... - daveyjp
"We never had any input to the EU regulations anyway."

Do you have a link to the proof of this 'fact'? Or have you never heard of the British Standards Institute?
Full speed ahead....... - Wackyracer
"We never had any input to the EU regulations anyway." Do you have a link to the proof of this 'fact'? Or have you never heard of the British Standards Institute?

The British Standards Institute was founded long before the advent of the EU and as far as I know has no input to EU standards.

Quote from wikipedia "BSI is obliged to adopt and publish all European Standards as identical British Standards (prefixed BS EN) and to withdraw pre-existing British Standards that are in conflict. [6] However, it has the option to adopt and publish international standards (prefixed BS ISO or BS IEC)."

I don't see any influence on the EU there?

Edited by Wackyracer on 29/01/2017 at 20:08

Full speed ahead....... - daveyjp

So no link and a working knowledge of BSI which goes as far as a few lines fom Wikipedia.

European Medicines Agency is another one you may wish to look up.

Edited by daveyjp on 30/01/2017 at 13:23

"As for the UK splitting up, Scotland has been wanting to be separate from the rest of us for a long time before brexit."

Like myself the majority of Scots do not want to break away from the rest of the UK, there was a vote and remain won.

There is however a very vocal minority and a nationalist party in power in the Scottish parliament who will pick up any fight they can with Westminster.

The bizarre thing about it all is that had the nationalists won the Scottish referendum then Scotland would've been out of the EU already!
"So in reality, nothing is going to change there. We never had any input to the EU regulations anyway."

Wrong...

Official EU voting records show that the British government has voted ‘No’ to laws passed at EU level on 56 occasions, abstained 70 times, and voted ‘Yes’ 2,466 times since 1999. In other words, UK ministers were on the “winning side” 95% of the time, abstained 3% of the time, and were on the losing side 2%.

Edited by SLO76 on 29/01/2017 at 21:24

We lose EU our citizenship, access to Single Market and quite likely the UK will split up. We'll still have to comply with many EU regulations but will no longer have any say in their implementation. But we're on the road to Brexit now so at least Parliament hasn't been by-passed now.

Such pessimism.

There will not be another referendum because by the time we are out I fully expect the EU to been in the process of falling apart. Why on earth would the UK want to continue to wed itself to a failing, undemocratic organisation? Greece, Spain, Portugal, Italy are all examples of what's wrong with the EU. Whilst Germany gets richer the rest of the EU suffers.

I won't mention the immigrant situation created by Merkel other than to say we've all seen the tragic events of this policy over the past 2 years and there will be more to come. The UK will suffer too (to some extent we already are).

It does seem that drawing BSI and the medical standards issue into this debate is grasping at straws. What I know about the medical standards that were agreed on, could be written on a postage stamp. However it has been compared to the BSI/ISO issue, of which I do know something. The construction company I worked for also manufactured some patented products and systems for the industry. I remember distinctly at management meetings many years ago the issue of harmonising standards. The comparison was made between the current ISO European standards and the equivalent BSI ones. There was not much in it as I recall, some BSI were superior and some ISO were, so we harmonised to the highest standards that could be implemented. I never thought of it as negotiating with the EU, rather simply expediting our legal requirements under current legislation, while ensuring we improved matters. I am in favour of harmonising standards on an international basis, it makes perfect sense to raise everyone to the highest standard and use similar systems and measurements to achieve this. There is no need whatsoever to join any formal 'club' such as the EU to ensure this. In fact quite what this has to do with the referendum is not clear at all.

Cheers Concrete