Any - Fog Blindness - Snakey

Fog blindness, or blindness to the absence of fog is something I experienced a lot this morning here in the north east.

Obviously the fog in london made it on the news (shock! horror!, fog in winter!), yet up here it was completely clear yet dozens of cars were driving along with their fog lights on. In my entire commute I never saw anything even resembling a patch of wispy mist, yet the motorway was full of blazing fog lights.

It seems that the mention of fog (albeit elsewhere) and the aimless sheep simply switch on their foglights. Presumably for several weeks now as they will probably forget to switch them off.

Any - Fog Blindness - RobJP

At least (with most modern switchgear in cars these days) the fog lights won't automatically come on when they next start the car.

Any - Fog Blindness - gordonbennet

Its the light wars Snakey.

I've got more better brighter louder blingier cleverer stupid looking camp and as complicated as they can be lights than you, mere mortal, and as i have them you are going to look at them in wonder.

Said fog lights are among the very few lights the alleged driver has control of, you can't expect such important people to remember to cancel something that only affects the peasants squinting in awe, shirley.

Heavy with sarcasm for the type? yes they usually deserve it.

This isn't a new phonomenon, i had a vision of this new blinding future back in the lat 70's or early 80's when the latest range of disposable repmobile tat came with prviously unknown rear fog lights, just as now they had to be shown off, and i remember one bright clear dark evening driving back down a nice reflective wet M6 past B'ham in my lorry, literally the whole road as far as i could see ahead was a sea of bright red, the majority of new cars all had their rear fogs on, because well they could i suppose, idiots then begat idiots now.

Any - Fog Blindness - Alan

I find people without lights a more frequent problem. Driving home friday night five cars without any lights several others with only one headlight or else only parking lights.

Any - Fog Blindness - Cris_on_the_gas

It will continue to be a problem until there are sufficient Roads Policing to deal with the issue

It will continue to be a problem until there are sufficient Roads Policing to deal with the issue

Would plod bother pulling someone over for having their fog lights on when its clear? I doubt it.

Any - Fog Blindness - tourantass
How about pulling over cars not displaying a side light when turning ...since some bunch of muppets thought that was the way forward so you could see the indicator light since the fitting of super bright led's as side lights. But hey ho thats progress....
Any - Fog Blindness - Smileyman

that's the EU solution to compliance with daylight running lamps .... at least on some cars the LED does reduce light output when indicating

Any - Fog Blindness - tourantass
And there lies the problem.......I would have thought if the law (highway code) requires working side lights to be displayed....thats what has to be done...not "oh we will turn em off or dim them" to solve a problem that shouldn't exist.
Any - Fog Blindness - Catfood

In the North East, I bet chances are Nissan Duke/Note drivers ? They think it's cool to turn on the fog light. They really should drive another car if they want to be looked cool....

Some of them think it's all right to switch on the fog light because others do when in fact others are "DRL".

I loathe to see them but better than the cars without no light....

In the North East, I bet chances are Nissan Duke/Note drivers ? They think it's cool to turn on the fog light. They really should drive another car if they want to be looked cool....

Some of them think it's all right to switch on the fog light because others do when in fact others are "DRL".

I loathe to see them but better than the cars without no light....

It was a right mix of cars - but around here its the SquishSquash drivers who are a pain! Especially around the nissan factory itself....

Any - Fog Blindness - John F

And what about the absurd tendency to have two rear foglights near the brakelights? They can seriously interfere with the perception of brakelights, making a rear end shunt even more likely to happen on a motorway (nearly caught me out once). It should be illegal to have more than one rear foglight, which should be positioned well away from the main light clusters.

Unfortunately a career in legislative public service has long been unattractive to most 'high flyers'. Many mandarins probably have very limited experience of driving in poor conditions and little capability of analytically criticising the circumstances while doing so. We have even had a transport minister who couldn't even drive!

Any - Fog Blindness - Cris_on_the_gas

And what about the absurd tendency to have two rear foglights near the brakelights? They can seriously interfere with the perception of brakelights, making a rear end shunt even more likely to happen on a motorway (nearly caught me out once). It should be illegal to have more than one rear foglight, which should be positioned well away from the main light clusters.

CU regulations state that foglights have to be at least 100mm from brake lights

Edited by Cris_on_the_gas on 25/01/2017 at 15:41

Any - Fog Blindness - Smileyman

In part I disagree - should be illegal to have only one light illuminated at the rear of the vehicle unless it is in the centre. Driving in Kent you see single left & single right fog lights. Personally, I've never mixed up fog & stop lights, fog lights are generally just on, whilst stop lights come on and go off, and of course usually these days there are 3 of them, left, right, middle!

As already stated the positioning of lights is governed by complex legal rules, although with modern cars it seems the interpretation of these rules has much flexibility!

Ask Honest John

Value my car