any - Pollution - Bolt

London has the LEZ- low emmisions zone -and keeps going over the limit, but also keep being affected by polution from abroad, this makes you wonder what the point is of having limits that are not in our control

which is happening a lot? according to this...

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/bromley/15035390._Red_alert__issued_and_millions_warned_to_stay_at_home_as_London_is_hit_by_toxic_air_from_Germany/

Edited by Avant on 22/01/2017 at 17:22

any - Polution - Bromptonaut

OK, so we have a homegrown problem with NOX (which I assume is pollutant at issue here). Occasionally atmospherics conspire to dump NOX, which is normally broken down by sunlight and air movement, from nearby Europe on us as well. Effect is to double the problem.

OP's answer is to do nothing......

Hmmmm.

any - Polution - Brit_in_Germany

So "millions" of Londerners are going to be killed by this "toxic" air are they? Any signs of the government handing out free gas masks?

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 22/01/2017 at 13:59

any - Polution - Vitesse6

In a few years time people will be wondering what all the fuss was about over nox emissions when all the old diesels have gone to the scrapyard.

Remember the fight for lead free petrol, according to some it would be the end of civilisation as we knew it. Next came the catalytic converter. I had the misfortune to be in a narrow street when a classic mini went past. The stink of unburnt hydrocarbons was incredible. And remember, at one time all cars stank like that!

When we knew no better, pollution was tolerated. Now we know that it is dangerous and unnecessary we have to act to reduce it as much as possible.

any - Polution - Bolt

Not so sure it was tolerated as much as no one listened to the warnings about polution, I remember the warnings in the 70s but I heard people say it will all blow over and be forgotten

I have doubts either petrol or diesel will dissapear, but probably get more efficient and less poluting than they are now, untill electric becomes the norm that is.

then people will be moaning about electricity supply not being able to cope with demand,so its going to be an interesting future I think!

any - Polution - gordonbennet

Interesting to see what the next wheeze designed to empty our wallets will be, soon after that one there will be another, then another, for ever, amen.

any - Polution - Sofa Spud

Not so sure it was tolerated as much as no one listened to the warnings about polution, I remember the warnings in the 70s but I heard people say it will all blow over and be forgotten

I have doubts either petrol or diesel will dissapear, but probably get more efficient and less poluting than they are now, untill electric becomes the norm that is.

then people will be moaning about electricity supply not being able to cope with demand,so its going to be an interesting future I think!

Petrol and diesel engines won't disappear for a while but they'll be relagated to driving the part-time generators in range-extender hybrids. Electrically driven cars will catch on quicker than pure electric cars.

Apparenly a typical electric car will do about 30-40 miles on the amount of electricity that is used to refine one gallon of petrol. That gallon would power an equivalent petrol car for about the same distance - so going over to electric cars wouldn't necessarily consume extra electricity, although there might be problems with peak demand.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 22/01/2017 at 21:40

any - Polution - Tester

It might be true (I don't know) that the energy equivalent to refine a gallon of petrol would take an electric car that distance, but refineries don't take their primary energy input from electricity. So the requirements of electric cars are all new load and do not replace any demand on generation and transmission.