Volvo XC90 or new Peugeot 5008SUV - Which large SUV - Karwomann
I'm looking for a large SUV (just for the look of it) for our family of 5 which might need an extra seat occasionally, so a 7 seater with fold down seats at the back. Budget around £25k- I would pay the tax on its original list price.
I really like the look of the Volvo XC90 and have heard very good reports; I could get a used one. New, I like the look of the Peugeot 5008 SUV due out this spring.
Interested in opinions regarding which would be a better bet. Is it risky to buy a new model that hasn't been tried a great deal? Is it worth buying the Volvo with its extra tax costs? If so what's best to get- new with higher mileage or slightly older with lower mileage?
I don't do a lot of mileage myself so it's mainly about style, reliability, safety and whether it is worth paying the extra tax for a second hand Volvo because of its original cost.
Volvo XC90 or new Peugeot 5008SUV - Which large SUV - RT

The Vauxhall Grandland X, due out later this year, is a re-skinned version of the Peugeot 5008. The Hyundai Santa Fe and Kia Sorento would be alternatives, as would Skoda Kodiaq and VW Tiguan Allspace.

Just realised your budget - the Hyundai and Kia would still fit though.

Edited by RT on 18/01/2017 at 09:54

Volvo XC90 or new Peugeot 5008SUV - Which large SUV - daveyjp

Low mileage would push me towards a petrol engine. That may knock the XC90 off the list.

Ok thanks I'll have a look.
Volvo XC90 or new Peugeot 5008SUV - Which large SUV - SLO76
Large Peugeots have a poor reputation for longterm reliability and plummet in value as a result. It will no doubt be a better car than the current lacklustre 5008 but it's not a place I'd put my money.

The XC90 on the other hand is well liked by owners and the trade and well able to exceed 250,000 miles with the right maintenance. I'd recommend the 2.4 D5 SE Lux with the geartronic auto box which is more comfortable than the firmer riding R Design. They're not cheap things to buy or run but there's steady demand for them at all ages as long as you avoid the rare and thirsty petrol.

You will however run into DPF problems with any modern diesel if you only do local stop start driving. It'll need a run of at least 15-20 miles once or twice a week at motorway speeds to allow the filter to go through a regen but it's such a comfortable car you'll be happy to do it.

Edited by SLO76 on 18/01/2017 at 10:28

Thanks for that, it makes me want to get one now! But it has also made me realise it's probably overkill for what I need if I'm being totally honest, prob not worth paying the extra tax for a family runaround and although I love the idea of having to run the car on the motorway I probably wouldn't, unless I was struggling to get the baby to sleep!!

I do like the look of the Santa Fe and Sorento but new they are over budget but I could get one slightly older. I think I need to go and play with a few cars and see how they feel!
You'll find the same issue with the Santa Fe and Sorento which are all DPF equipped diesels but yes go try a few out, with your budget the worlds your oyster, have fun!

If you want to stick with petrol you'd need to do away with the 7 seat idea. Big 7str people carriers and SUV's are hard to come by and hard to sell on without a Diesel engine under the bonnet. Do you really need so much space? We have a Honda CRV and anyone we can't fit in is told to take the bus...

Edited by SLO76 on 18/01/2017 at 13:30

Volvo XC90 or new Peugeot 5008SUV - Which large SUV - Avant

Look at the new Skoda Kodiaq. You can get a 1.4 petrol with 7 seats for less than £25,000 list price.

That may seem a small engine for a big car, but if you can run to the 150 bhp version you should find it more than adequate - and certainly with your low mileage a better bet than a diesel.

I'd forgotten about the Kodiaq. Never been in one but it's one we'll look at when changing.
Thanks I'll look at that too. I've realised I've definitely got to shelve the Volvo idea because of the costs. Maybe a 5 seater would be ok too...lots to think about.