30 Day warranties - scot22

Looking around car dealers I've noticed quite a few put thirty day warranties with option to purchase a third party warranty. I am aware of legal obligations on dealers and am dubious about this practice.

Am I right to ignore such dealers, or could I miss a good buy ? Coulsd some just be unaware ? Wouldn't really fancy the hassle of trying to enforce regulations on a 'dodgy dealer' Opinions welcomed.

30 Day warranties - NARU

I always ignore dealers offering 30-day 'warranties'. I'm dubious of ones which offer 3 months too. I figure that they're sending signals that they will try to weasel out of their responsibilities.

30 Day warranties - RT

I thought that 3-months was now the minimum following implementation of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 - mind you, I regard that as worthless too - the 3 months, not the Act!

It does seem common that traders at the Arthur Daley end of the market want the customer to pay for an aftermarket warranty in the hope the trader doesn't have to pay out a penny on warranty or repairs.

Edited by RT on 13/01/2017 at 18:22

30 Day warranties - skidpan

If they are not prepared to acknowledge what the minimum cover in law is before sale how could you expect them to be honorable once they have your cash.

Run away - very fast.

30 Day warranties - oldroverboy.

Toilet paper, that's all it is good for.

30 Day warranties - Fishermans Bend

A used car dealer told me he always sold his stock with a 6 month warranty because it cost him very little more than a 3 month one and was that bit more reassuring for buyers.

Cheers All : I really do value this forum. Responses much appreciated.

30 Day warranties - Steveieb
Heard that the Consumer Protection is so onerous and modern cars are so complex and potentially expensive to repair that some have devised a way round the system.
They simply sell on behalf of the owner.
Does this absolve them of any responsibility as the transaction becomes a private sale?
30 Day warranties - focussed
Heard that the Consumer Protection is so onerous and modern cars are so complex and potentially expensive to repair that some have devised a way round the system. They simply sell on behalf of the owner. Does this absolve them of any responsibility as the transaction becomes a private sale?

You mean like estate agents selling houses? Or marine dealers selling boats on brokerage? Or aviation brokers selling aircraft?

Providing they don't tell porkies in their description of the goods for sale they are not liable for any comeback.

30 Day warranties - SLO76
It's a common trick used by small dealers to limit liability in minds of uninformed punters and by the larger dealers to sell extended warranties.

Don't blank dealers that offer this worthless warranty though or you'll miss a great deal of prime stock. The Largest dealer network in Scotland for example only offers a 60 day warranty as standard and will very aggressively attempt to upsell you into buying longer cover. Dealers and sales staff make big commission from add-ons like this.

You are covered under the Consumer rights act for the first 6mths anyway which makes buying a warranty before this time pointless. If you buy 6mth cover you've given money for nothing and 12mth cover is really just 6mths but paid for 12. You can usually take out cover after 6mths on your own for less anyway.

Under the terms of the act the car must be of satisfactory quality, be fit for purpose, and be as described.

If a fault comes to light after 30 days but before 6 months have passed then you are entitled to a repair, replacement or refund. It is assumed in law that the fault was present at the time of purchase unless the seller can prove otherwise which is nearly impossible. During this period, unless you have agreed otherwise, the seller (dealer) has only one opportunity to repair (or replace) the faulty vehicle after which, if they fail to repair it, you are entitled to a refund.

Though age, mileage and value are factors in this so don't expect to buy a £1,500 car and have no problems and you'll need to be prepared to fight your corner as dealers will initially resist out of warranty claims so know your rights.

Edited by SLO76 on 13/01/2017 at 23:02

30 Day warranties - Avant

Thanks once again, SLO76, for such a clear, succinct statement of the current position.

I think most of us can guess who that Scottish dealer is!

Happy to help Avant. I loved selling cars (still do) but hated the ever increasing pressure to sell financial products and other add-ons many of which are next to worthless.

The biggest surprise for me selling cars for dealers back in the day and again now when asked to check over a car today for people (I do for free if they've a trade in I'm after) is that few shop around for finance. Banks are offering loans from 2.9% APR yet the bulk of buyers are signing up for expensive dealer finance at well over double that rate often more.

Sister in law has just signed up for such a deal despite advising her where to get it cheaper because "I can't be bothered." Well that cost her hundreds.

Edited by SLO76 on 14/01/2017 at 08:24

The time and effort the knowledgeable and helpful people posting on the forum give is really valued (by most people !).

Sadly, 'can't be bothered' reflects the attitude of too many people in too many things.

30 Day warranties - veloceman
I recently purchased a nearly new Guilietta, agreed a price with the dealer who also quoted me for finance. On the day of collection I turned up with my own bankers draft to pay having sorted out my own bank loan. He was most annoyed and refused to take it until I pointed out the they never told me the price depended on taking finance with them. Saved me £45 per month for the same amount.
Also loan is not tied to car so I can swap and change without penalties.
Turned out the Guilietta was a bag of s*** and swapped back to a Leon. An expensive mistake!
I recently purchased a nearly new Guilietta, agreed a price with the dealer who also quoted me for finance. On the day of collection I turned up with my own bankers draft to pay having sorted out my own bank loan. He was most annoyed and refused to take it until I pointed out the they never told me the price depended on taking finance with them. Saved me £45 per month for the same amount. Also loan is not tied to car so I can swap and change without penalties. Turned out the Guilietta was a bag of s*** and swapped back to a Leon. An expensive mistake!

A trick I regularly suggest to people is to allow the dealer to quote a nice juicy (for him) finance deal when negotiating even if you plan to pay in cash or have finance already in place. If they believe a nice finance commission is coming their way they'll be more inclined to be generous with discounts. It was always one of the first questions my manager asked when I was asking for approval on a deal. They cannot force you to pay in a way that doesn't suit you so any deal agreed is not legally dependent on you taking their finance unless it's a cash back deal of some sort but even at that you can simply pay it off after hoovering the cash.