Skoda Superb Estate, Volvo V60, VW Golf GTD - Which Car to choose - Mike davis

Just got my list of cars to choose for my next company car and wondering peoples thoughts experiences of them the choice is between.

Skoda Superb Estate SE-L Exec 150

Volvo V60 D3 SE Nav

VW Golf GTD

and the Mazda CX-5 SE-L

usually had large estate cars, but have a bit more freedom this time.

I do about 25,000 miles a year and currently have a Ford Monedo Tit X Business Edition.

Skoda Superb Estate, Volvo V60, VW Golf GTD - Which Car to choose - SLO76
All nice in their own way but all very different from each other so go test drive them and see what you personally like the most.

There's a lot of talk of trouble with Mazda's 2.2 skyactiv diesel but if it's a company motor, under warranty and not your own personal car there's no worry of a big bill landing on your lap.

Personally I like the big Skoda but I'm a lazy driver who values comfort over all else.
Skoda Superb Estate, Volvo V60, VW Golf GTD - Which Car to choose - RobJP

Same here. If I was given the choice out of those, doing 25k miles a year, I'd go for the Skoda. With the Volvo a possible (not driven one of those recently, so don't know how comfortable it'd be on long trips)

EDIT : having said that, the Mazda CX-5, with it's high seating position, could be worth looking at too. You can see over other traffic, making driving a lot less tiring.

The Golf GTD would definitely not be on my personal list though.

Edited by RobJP on 13/01/2017 at 10:15

All nice in their own way but all very different from each other so go test drive them and see what you personally like the most. There's a lot of talk of trouble with Mazda's 2.2 skyactiv diesel but if it's a company motor, under warranty and not your own personal car there's no worry of a big bill landing on your lap. Personally I like the big Skoda but I'm a lazy driver who values comfort over all else.

Thanks, i am test driving and yes will be a 3 year lease so not worried about long term, had a mazda 6 with a 2.2 160hp engine before the monedo and it was great but not sure about the cx-5 - . I am currently heading towards the skoda as like the list of kit and styling.

Skoda Superb Estate, Volvo V60, VW Golf GTD - Which Car to choose - craig-pd130

I'm on my second company V60 (currently a D4 SE manual), which I've had since 2014, and before that a 2011 V60 D3 (with the now superceded 5-cylinder engine). Before that I had a Mondeo IV 2.0 diesel from 2008-2011. :-)

I found the V60 to be a better driver's car than the Mondeo (don't get me wrong, the Mondeo is very good) but the V60 has more comfy and supportive seats, and is quieter and more composed on motorways etc.

Can you choose the model / spec of V60? If you can, I would recommend looking at the 'Business Edition' trim. You get pretty much all the bells and whistles of the SE trim but it's £5,000 cheaper (i.e. saving you £50 per month in BIK tax). The seats, interiors etc are virtually identical, you just don't get satnav.

Also, the D4 Business Edition will cost you no more in tax, but has the much punchier and more powerful twin-turbo engine.

I would consider a couple of plug-in hybrids too - these are STUPIDLY cheap in BIK tax right now - much cheaper than diesels for company car users. I'm looking very seriously at the BMW 225xe active tourer plug-in hybrid, which will save me £1000 per year in tax, and the contract hire costs are lower than the Volvo V60 too.

I'm on my second company V60 (currently a D4 SE manual), which I've had since 2014, and before that a 2011 V60 D3 (with the now superceded 5-cylinder engine). Before that I had a Mondeo IV 2.0 diesel from 2008-2011. :-)

I found the V60 to be a better driver's car than the Mondeo (don't get me wrong, the Mondeo is very good) but the V60 has more comfy and supportive seats, and is quieter and more composed on motorways etc.

Can you choose the model / spec of V60? If you can, I would recommend looking at the 'Business Edition' trim. You get pretty much all the bells and whistles of the SE trim but it's £5,000 cheaper (i.e. saving you £50 per month in BIK tax). The seats, interiors etc are virtually identical, you just don't get satnav.

Also, the D4 Business Edition will cost you no more in tax, but has the much punchier and more powerful twin-turbo engine.

I would consider a couple of plug-in hybrids too - these are STUPIDLY cheap in BIK tax right now - much cheaper than diesels for company car users. I'm looking very seriously at the BMW 225xe active tourer plug-in hybrid, which will save me £1000 per year in tax, and the contract hire costs are lower than the Volvo V60 too.

Thanks, i'm guided by the lease cost rather than anything else, so could happily look at differnt specs depending on the lease - usually end up with the slightly unpopular but better speced cars if that makes sense. One other option that has just come up is the XC60. trying to see what others have good offers at the moment.

Skoda Superb Estate, Volvo V60, VW Golf GTD - Which Car to choose - craig-pd130

Thanks, i'm guided by the lease cost rather than anything else, so could happily look at differnt specs depending on the lease - usually end up with the slightly unpopular but better speced cars if that makes sense. One other option that has just come up is the XC60. trying to see what others have good offers at the moment.

That's wise, sometimes the higher-spec levels have a lower lease cost, although you then pay more in BIK.

My current V60 D4 SE's lease cost is about £360/month without maintenance, on 12K per year, 3+35.

The BMW plug-in hybrid is £285 a month in comparison.

That's wise, sometimes the higher-spec levels have a lower lease cost, although you then pay more in BIK.

My current V60 D4 SE's lease cost is about £360/month without maintenance, on 12K per year, 3+35.

The BMW plug-in hybrid is £285 a month in comparison.

the D4 for me is £382.00 inc maintenance on a 3 + 35 25k mileage

will look at the bmw

Edited by Mike davis on 13/01/2017 at 11:15

Skoda Superb Estate, Volvo V60, VW Golf GTD - Which Car to choose - Avant

This one is going to depend on how the particular leasing deals work. The V60 Business Edition has a list price about £6,000 lower than an SE Nav like mine, but for a private purchase there were hardly any discounts available on the Business Edition and I got £7,000 off the SE.

If yu value the space in your Mondeo, the Superb is the one to go for. If the space in a V60 is enough, it's a good car although a D3 auto may not be very lively, and the manual V60 has no footrest for your left foot.

Maybe if you can have a Superb, there is a deal available on an Octavia estate? I had three in a row and would have had a fourth like a shot, except that my wife finds the Volvo much easier to get in and out of.

Skoda Superb Estate, Volvo V60, VW Golf GTD - Which Car to choose - skidpan

Be very careful before you buy an Octavia estate. We have driven 3, 2 were 1.4 TSi's and one was a 150 PS diesel. All suffered from the same problem, road noise was absolutely deafening. I am not on my own noting this, others on here have agreed and its been well documented on the Skoda forum as well.

Tried a 1.4 TSi Skoda Octavia hatch as well and that was fine so can only conclude its an estate thing. But to my eyes the hatch is an fugly car, so much so I could not live with one.

We ordered a Superb 1.4 hatch which looks great and is quiet. No idea if the Superb estate has noise issues but well worth a look if its in budget.

Skoda Superb Estate, Volvo V60, VW Golf GTD - Which Car to choose - Avant

I had three Octavia estates and road noise wasn't a problem. I still think this is a car which is sensitive in this respect to the type of tyres it has on. Mine all came with Contintentals which when necessary I replaced with Klebers.

If anything, SWMBO's new Audi A1 has more road noise than I remember from other cars; this came with Bridgestones, not a make I'd have chosen myself.

Skoda Superb Estate, Volvo V60, VW Golf GTD - Which Car to choose - bazza

I think as well as tyre brand, the spec of the car itself might affect road noise. MY previous Octavia was an Elegance Mk1, whereas my current one is poverty-spec Ambience and it's dreadfully noisy. Anything over 60 mph is earplug territory. If I'm correct Avant, you have had VRs spec, which may have had more sound insulation. But my experience with this particular model has not been great. The other thing to note is that mine and I believe current VAG floorpans are sensitive to rear suspension set-up and are prone to irregular rear tyre wear which generates a lot of road noise.

Skoda Superb Estate, Volvo V60, VW Golf GTD - Which Car to choose - skidpan

The 3 Estates we tested have been a 1.4 TSi Ambience on 15" wheels and Dunlop tyres. That was by far the noisiest.

The 2nd was a 1.4 TSI Elegance on Bridgestones which tied for road noise with the 3rd, a 2.0 TDi 150 Elegance on a mixture of Conti's and ditchfinders. Both these were DSG cars.

Based on my experience I could not recommend an Octavia Estate but as I said before the one hatch we have tried was fine.