Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - Fishermans Bend

Time they learnt to ride their bikes with due care and attention instead of asking for highway code changes. www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38248488

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - Tester

I am a cyclist of some experience (about 48 years) as well as a car driver for the past 40 years and I agree with you! As I read it, this is asking for drivers to give way at left turns to anyone coming up the inside. Well, sure, none of us when driving would deliberately turn into someone doing that on a bike on the grounds that they are daft for being there - but all the same, the perils of riding up the inside of cars has been known for long enough and most of us adapt our behaviour to reality rather than expecting some Utopian ideal. We all have to rub along together and remember that all road users are human. Most are not homicidal or suicidal but we all make mistakes.

Personally I might go carefully and slowly along the inside of stationary traffic at traffic lights, say, but stop before getting to the front of the queue and in a space where the car behind has me in view. I'd usually turn and make eye contact, too, and always acknowledge a driver being patient. As for going up the inside of moving traffic when there is a junction coming up: no, no, no! Get the brain in gear!

Edited by Tester on 08/12/2016 at 11:11

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - Ian_SW

According to 'British Cycling' this would "reinforce good behaviour". I really fail to see how this can be the case.

I regularly cycle in cities, and the one thing I never do is pass a moving car on the left hand side. Anyone on a bike whoever has driven anything larger or longer than a Fiat Panda should be aware of how invisible you are on that side of any vehicle.

Cyclists being told they have 'right of way' down the left hand side of a car is a recipe for the oblivious to blunder down there at full speed, and the militant to storm down there even faster overtaking cars doing nearly 30 wearing a helmet camera to see how many near misses they can film and post on YouTube.

That rule can work if properly applied and signed on segregated cycle lanes on wide roads, with enough room for the car to turn and stop at 90 degrees to the junction and check for bikes. This gives the cyclists the equivalent of a Zebra crossing at every road junction. It's done like that in Sweden if I remember correctly. What this means is that the segregated lane is then as fast to ride on as going along the road, so people actuallu use it. However, given we don't have that type of cycle lane much, it's unlikely to work here.

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - RT

Most UK roads are "all purpose", open to all classes of road users.

Cycle tracks are where cyclists get protection from vehicles - so they should use the ones they have and fund themselves the building of any new ones.

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - corax

Most UK roads are "all purpose", open to all classes of road users.

Cycle tracks are where cyclists get protection from vehicles - so they should use the ones they have and fund themselves the building of any new ones.

The A12 near to where I live would have been a good excuse to add a protected cycle lane when it was built. I think many people would use it if it was a serious continuous link to all the towns. Too late now.

There are always going to be safety issues between bikes and cars as long as they are forced together.

I have to say that although I use a bike I don't have so much sympathy for some cyclists anymore. They are cycling in the middle of the road more than they used to, many of them don't use lights, and if I pull in on country lanes to let them past, I don't even get a wave anymore.

Edited by corax on 08/12/2016 at 11:26

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - SteVee

The BBC story quotes >>The Olympic gold medallist said Britain should follow the European standard where anyone turning at junctions gives way.<<

As a driver and cyclist, I'd agree with that. The treatment of cyclists by other road users is generally OK, but some drivers have a truly awful attitude towards cyclists. Cycling in the UK needs far greater encouragement and more cycle-only lanes, as in much of western europe.

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - Wackyracer

and more cycle-only lanes, as in much of western europe.

So the pig headed cyclists can refuse to use them, like they do now with the ones we have?

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - barney100

I see bikes on roads, pavements, fields, tracks etc. Rarely do I see them on the cycle lanes. Cyclists are very vulunerable yet anyone can buy a bike and use the road without any test-road tax-insurance - mot etc.

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - Vitesse6

Surely this is just common sense, you would not turn left across the path of another car, so why would you do it to a cyclist? Having said that, any cyclist who rides up the inside of any vehicle which is signaling a left turn is just asking for trouble.

Sadly there are some awful drivers and cyclists who treat the public roads as a competition area and don't give any consideration to other road users. A little more give and take would make life better for all of us.

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - RobJP

I see some of the usual anti-cyclist 'comments' (possibly 'venom' or 'rants' would be a better word) on here.

Car tax, for one. Well, if tax is related to emissions, then obviously no tax would be due.

MOT. Really? Don't be ridiculous.

As for a test and insurance. You might as well insist on pedestrians, if they ever step off the pavement and onto the road, passing a test and having insurance in place too.

As for the proposal itself, I don't see it as viable (assuming I've read it correctly), and I'm a cyclist as well as a driver. Undertaking a line of traffic is really risky. The cyclist is best placed to see what is happening with the car ahead of him/her, and if they are turning left then the cyclist is best placed to do something about it. To expect a driver to (basically) have to stop in their left turn and look to see if a cyclist is coming up on the inside, is not really feasible, in my opinion.

Much like 'tester', if I find myself in a similar situation I'll position myself so that the nearest car can clearly see me, and I will 'own' the space I occupy. That's what we're supposed to do, according to the highway code. So we put ourselves further out into the highway to prevent a car squeezing past where there isn't really the gap to do so, and, in urban areas at least, we usually maintain speed with the traffic around us, so overtaking us wouldn't achieve anything anyway.

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - oldroverboy.

As for a test and insurance. You might as well insist on pedestrians, if they ever step off the pavement and onto the road, passing a test and having insurance in place too.

Elle souligne qu'il est désormais nécessaire d'avoir une assurance responsabilité civile privée afin que celle-ci puisse prendre en charge les frais en cas d'accident.

Rappelons qu'en Suisse, un citoyen sur dix ne dispose pas de cette assurance. Une campagne de sensibilisation a été entreprise par l'Office fédéral des routes (OFROU) pour inciter la population à contrôler sa couverture d'assurance en cas d'accident.

For those of you who don't read French, In Switzerland and many other EU countries a cyclist (and anyone resident!) (So pedestrians too!) must have 3rd party liability insurance.

Jaywalk and you will be fined too!

www.24heures.ch/suisse/suisse-romande/pieton-trave...9

(www.letemps.ch/suisse/2016/05/08/une-amende-2610-f...n

Edited by oldroverboy. on 08/12/2016 at 12:46

"It just creates a duty of care for everybody and it makes it really simple. No-one's quite sure what the rules are," he told the BBC's Breakfast programme.

What a load of rubbish! if cyclists don't know the rules, they can buy a copy of the highway code and read them. Rules 72 on give a full description of how to act at road junctions and not to ride up the sides of turning vehicles.

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - Bolt

"It just creates a duty of care for everybody and it makes it really simple. No-one's quite sure what the rules are," he told the BBC's Breakfast programme.

What a load of rubbish! if cyclists don't know the rules, they can buy a copy of the highway code and read them. Rules 72 on give a full description of how to act at road junctions and not to ride up the sides of turning vehicles.

whether they do or not, they never stick to the rules,same as cyclists after dark wearing all dark clothes and no lights dodging traffic, and go mad because we dont see them

I posted on here a while back about a cyclist who was riding on the pavement as I came slowly out of an alleyway and told me when she narrowly missed me that her brakes didn't work!

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - bazza

I'm not sure why we're adamant it won't work here, if it works in the rest of Europe. Although in most of the cities across the water, there's generally more respect given to cyclists so far as I can see. But maybe the cyclists themselves are more considerate too? There is certainly a breed of what I call anarchic cyclists in the UK, the sort who ride 4 a breast and deliberately impede, many of whom are at an age when they really ought to know better!

It's certainly suicidal riding up the inside approaching a left turn, it's drilled into motorcyclists during the training to avoid it at all costs.

I'm not sure why we're adamant it won't work here, if it works in the rest of Europe. Although in most of the cities across the water, there's generally more respect given to cyclists so far as I can see. But maybe the cyclists themselves are more considerate too? There is certainly a breed of what I call anarchic cyclists in the UK, the sort who ride 4 a breast and deliberately impede, many of whom are at an age when they really ought to know better!

It's certainly suicidal riding up the inside approaching a left turn, it's drilled into motorcyclists during the training to avoid it at all costs.

Four abreast is preferable to four in a line.

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - hillman

"Undertaking a line of traffic is really risky. The cyclist is best placed to see what is happening with the car ahead of him/her, and if they are turning left then the cyclist is best placed to do something about it. To expect a driver to (basically) have to stop in their left turn and look to see if a cyclist is coming up on the inside, is not really feasible, in my opinion."

RobJP has a point that is a good one. When a lorry driver has to make a left turn in town then the lorry may be placed some distance from the kerb to give enough space to make the turn. A cyclist comes up on the inside and expects the lorry driver to see them in the mirror that he/she, the cyclist, is sitting underneath.

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - Bromptonaut

Have any of you commenting/ranting here actually looked the source, British Cycling, rather than media reports. See link:

tinyurl.com/hnu7v2p

Seems to be somewhat more nuanced than suggested and to have some support from AA.

As my handle here implies I own the eponymous folding bike. I commuted daily on it between Euston and various London worksites for a little over 14 years. Anything that encourages rapid riding up the nearside of slow/queuing traffic is wrong. The practice is dangerous for numerous reasons including drains, tellow lines (slippy when damp), gutter clutter, car doors opening, pedestrians stepping off pavement and slow moving vehicles veering to kerb. Cyclist should, like other road users overtake on the offside.

I think this proposal is specifaly about behviour around the stop/give way line and 'left hook' incdents at juctions.

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - Steveieb
No problem to cyclist travelling along the new Sustrans route between Buckingham and Winslow.
The Bucks Council has spent over two million pounds on a cycle lane alongside.the heavily pot holed highway.
While us motorists bounced along over the badly damaged road, I saw two cyclists on the whole 10 mile section of perfectly manicured Tarmac.
But I wonder who on earth decided to spend this sort of money on what appears to be a little used facility.It would be cheaper to pay the taxi fare to any cyclist wishing to travel along this route.

Have any of you commenting/ranting here actually looked the source, British Cycling, rather than media reports. See link:

tinyurl.com/hnu7v2p

I have and it's just what I thought it was. Watching the video demo, the cyclist ignores the cars left indicator and continues to ride up the inside of it.

Of course in this utopian video there is only 1 cyclist and the car driver waits for her to go before turning left. In the real world on CS2 in the mornings a lorry turning left will be waiting for continuous stream of cyclists some of which are going to be in his blindspot.

Yet again, cyclists putting themselves in danger and pointing the finger at the drivers of cars, lorries and buses.

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - John F

I'm not sure why we're adamant it won't work here, if it works in the rest of Europe. Although in most of the cities across the water, there's generally more respect given to cyclists so far as I can see. But maybe the cyclists themselves are more considerate too? There is certainly a breed of what I call anarchic cyclists in the UK.....

Just back from Amsterdam, where the exemplary cycle-friendly highway design contrasts with a multitude of anarchic cyclists! No helmets, no lights.....but then they have safety in numbers. Mums put up to three small children in their cyclecarts for the school run (and look a lot fitter than the typical flabby UK mum!)

There are too few utility cyclists here, because the powers that be refuse to design and mark the highways for safer cycling. And there is also a difficult to understand animosity towards cyclists, many of whom, like me, pay for one or more cars but prefer not to use one for most short journeys.

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - Defactio

'Road Tax' was simply rebadged as 'Vehicle Excise Duty' - not 'Vehicle Emissions Duty'.

If emissions were the sole reason for road tax 'Vehicle Excise Duty', then why is there no requirement for my OFF-ROAD trials bike (with emissions far worse than my road bike) to be taxed? It contributes poison to the very same atmosphere that road-users do.

If all vehicles with any CO2 emissions became extinct - do you really think that there would be no 'road-use' tax? Really? Who would pay for these roads then?

Whatever name the government want's to hide it under - it is 'Road Tax'.

I'm also at odds with the cyclist constantly stating that 'size' is what CAUSES 'damage'. There are many, many deaths CAUSED by pedestrians not adhering to the Highway Code (yes, it applies to them just as much as vehicle users - they ARE using the road after all).

With ALL road-using vehicles; patience is called-for. EVERY vehicle that is in front of you has the right-of-way to move in whichever direction it wishes, and you are obligated to be patient and WAIT for that manoeuvre to be completed.

Why do cyclists believe that they can scream up at 30 mph on the left (when vehicles are turning left in front of them) and when THEY collide with the vehicle in front - then believe that the cyclist is NOT at fault!

The bleeding-heart, pc-brigade actually attempted to change the law so that EVERY accident - regardless of ACTUAL fault - could never be the cyclists fault! Honestly - this WAS attempted! Can you imagine the fraudulent claims?

Quite rightly, it failed at this attempt, but now is chipping away at individual instances - one at a time - such as running into the left of a vehicle that is turning left - becoming the fault of the vehicle turning left!

Do as motorcyclists do: overtake on the RIGHT, filter on the RIGHT. I would never contemplate filtering on the left of vehicles that have the right to turn left. Why? Because it's intuitively stupid and it get's you killed.

I am instead PATIENT, and wait for the vehicle in front to complete it's manoeuvre as; it has right-of-way.

Put simply, to ensure the safety of cyclists, there needs to be an inclusion in the Highway Code that stops cyclists under-taking - problem solved!

Whoops - sorry - just found this in the Highway Code:

Rule 72

On the left. Do not ride on the inside of vehicles signalling or slowing down to turn left.

Edited by Defactio on 14/12/2016 at 10:52

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - Smileyman

I would add that any vehicle that passes a cyclist then slows and turns in front without giving reasonable & adequate warning deserves all the stick they get .... so cyclists should all have cameras and use the recording as evidence if they are wronged. Reasonable warning - adequate use of indicator.

Howver, if the cyclist overtakes slower traffic from the left side postion and a car in front turns ledt then the responsibility will be more difficult to apportion, matters like use of indicators and ease of visibility of cyclist will come into play

At this rate all cars will need to be fitted with blind spot cameras with radar to warn of anything coming past N/S

If most cyclists actually took notice of the highway code, and had some common sense instead of relying on the driver to do it for them, a lot of accidents would be avoided, problem is most cyclists seem to think they own the road and the drivers owe them road space

I followed one this morning for a long way because traffic would not allow an overtake, after about a mile cyclist decided to bump up the kerb and ride on the pavement.

Now I cannot understand why the cyclist did not do this before, they could have saved a long traffic jam, personaly I think they were being awkward as a lot are

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - Brit_in_Germany

In Germany, many footpaths also serve as bike lanes and at traffic light controlled junctions, rather than having a bike/pedestrian phase, vehicles turning right are supposed to give way to people crossing. Needless to say, in major cities, every year there are a number of fatalities where cyclists are crushed by lorries, the driver not having seen the cyclist who didn't wait because they had priority.

This plan for the UK is most unlikely to have the desired effect.

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 08/12/2016 at 21:16

>In Germany, many footpaths also serve as bike lanes<

A lot do here but are never used, and are just painted pathways, I`ve never seen a cyclist use one, they allways like to hold up the traffic instead????

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - Sofa Spud

For every cyclist that tries to squeeze by on the inside of a left-turning vehicle, there's a left-turning vehicle driver that overtakes a cyclist and cuts in across their bows to turn.

I would add that any vehicle that passes a cyclist then slows and turns in front without giving reasonable & adequate warning deserves all the stick they get .... so cyclists should all have cameras and use the recording as evidence if they are wronged. Reasonable warning - adequate use of indicator.

Should be illegal for cyclists to wear cameras.

<Should be illegal for cyclists to wear cameras>

As cars use them why not Cyclists, at least it proves who is in the wrong usually.

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - GinB

As cars use them why not Cyclists, at least it proves who is in the wrong usually.

Simply, if you act without "due care and attention" in any mode be it on foot, bicycle or in a vehicle you will put yourself at risk. Most people are lost in their own world.

Why complain when you suffer afterwards? The human animal is still incapable of looking after itself, much less others ...

How can you trace a cyclist? One hits your door mirror, sctratches your car, "sorry mate", wearing a helment disgiuses one even more, no way of tracing them. If by law cyclists had to wear a hi-vis jacket with an identity number attached all cyclists behaviour would change overnight. Cyclists wouldn't like it if motorists drove without number plates.

How can you trace a cyclist? One hits your door mirror, sctratches your car, "sorry mate", wearing a helment disgiuses one even more, no way of tracing them. If by law cyclists had to wear a hi-vis jacket with an identity number attached all cyclists behaviour would change overnight. Cyclists wouldn't like it if motorists drove without number plates.

Showing ID is not the same, and just because a law changes, ie, not allowed to use your mobile phone while driving, how many still do it without getting caught

its all very well making laws but if there are no police about that can prioritise a law then its a waste of time....police cannot even check out burglaries so what chance a cyclist got of being pulled ???

The requirement to register cars came about 'cos their mass and speed meant they caused death and damage on an unprecedented scale.

The his-vis jacket idea is a non starter. It's unenforceable and totally impractical. Can you put a copper on every street corner to spot those without?

Who checks for cloned or false numbers; cameras no good, collars need to be felt.

And am I supposed to keep my hi-viz in my pocket in London or any other place with a bike hire scheme so I can avoid using the tube? ?

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - focussed

The idea of cyclists having to wear Hi-viz is not so impratical.

Motorcyclists in France, where I live, have to carry, ie have available, not wear, a hi-viz gilet in case of breakdown or having to stop on the road-one for each person on the bike.

(The law in France is that if you voluntarily stop, you have to pull off the road unless in a marked parking space-widely ignored and flouted of course!)

In order to remain legal if stopped and checked by les flics I bought a couple of CE marked hi-viz gilets that fold up to next to nothing for one euro each at a discount store, and stuck them under the seats on the two bikes I have, so not impossible for the pedallers.

We also have to have hi-viz available in cars over here, in case of breakdown, that's why you will see cars with the hi-viz draped over the back of the seats.

The requirement to register cars came about 'cos their mass and speed meant they caused death and damage on an unprecedented scale.

The his-vis jacket idea is a non starter. It's unenforceable and totally impractical. Can you put a copper on every street corner to spot those without?

Who checks for cloned or false numbers; cameras no good, collars need to be felt.

And am I supposed to keep my hi-viz in my pocket in London or any other place with a bike hire scheme so I can avoid using the tube? ?

A high viz waist coat would be sufficient, small enough to put in a bag, large enough for a traceable identity number, just like marathon runners have. People manage to carry umbrellas, rain coats and day bags without an issue, so not impractical. Once cyclists knew it would be an offence not to wear the relevant waist coat, they'd comply. Amazing what the threat of a £250 would do.

Until cyclists can be traced for offences their will always be animosity from motor vehicle users

Once cyclists knew it would be an offence not to wear the relevant waist coat, they'd comply. Amazing what the threat of a £250 would do.

Of course it will, like the threat of fine>points>disqualification has cured thepoblems of speeding, mobile use etc.........

Once cyclists knew it would be an offence not to wear the relevant waist coat, they'd comply. Amazing what the threat of a £250 would do.

Of course it will, like the threat of fine>points>disqualification has cured thepoblems of speeding, mobile use etc.........

Piffle. Not wearing they'd stand out like a sore thumb, just like a car with no number plates.

You just don't want cyclists that commit an offence to be traceable. Time cyclists were accountable.

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - Smileyman

Why illegal, what's the justification? But there is a good argument to require all cyclists to wear high viz clothing to some degree, perhaps even to have insurance to ride on public highway

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - gordonbennet

You can't educate cabbage, there's a statistic in waiting who rides up a busy as heck country road near Wellingborough, circa 1715 hours when dozens of cars use this road, dressed entirely in black and not a light to be seen front or back.

I feel sorry for the poor blighter who'll be hung out to dry when the inevitable happens, how he's survived this long is a mystery.

You can't educate cabbage, there's a statistic in waiting who rides up a busy as heck country road near Wellingborough, circa 1715 hours when dozens of cars use this road, dressed entirely in black and not a light to be seen front or back.

I feel sorry for the poor blighter who'll be hung out to dry when the inevitable happens, how he's survived this long is a mystery.

It is getting stupid now with the amount of riders doing this, several trips I`ve made through a dark lane around 11pm there have been several cyclists all in black no lights.

even kids on quad bikes literally crossing the road without looking also with no lights, I really do not understand why parents let them out that time of night??

I don't think it will ever change. The nanny state teachings of the last few decades has brainwashed people into the mindset that "it's always somebody else at fault".

Cyclists can ignore red traffic lights, ignore cars indicating, ride the wrong way up one way streets, ride in the dark dressed like a ninja with no lights or reflectors safe in the knowledge that any incident resulting in injury or death must be the fault of someone else.

Have you ever noticed that very few small cars or motorcyclists will go up the inside of a HGV with it's left indicators flashing and yet 90% of cyclists will.

Not soo long back I had to get out the cab and help a cyclist who had tried to cycle up my left side while I was stationary and had got his handlebars stuck in the under run bars on my trailer. Although I must admit he was rather sheepish about it, not a road raging one with a camera on his head.

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - bazza

Have you ever noticed that very few small cars or motorcyclists will go up the inside of a HGV with it's left indicators flashing and yet 90% of cyclists will.

Because it is drilled into you on the CBT and the Direct Access that it's about the most dangerous thing one can do, Similarly, passing an artic on a roundabout is in the same league, as he might be turning right and needing the whole width of the road, or even if he's going straight on, his trailer will cut, leaving diminishing space for bike or car. How many times does one see that scenario unfolding! Maybe some form of CBT for bicycles might not be a bad idea in this day and age. But how do you enforce this, I know not.

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - madf

I refuse to get worked up about cyclists. Darwinism will win - eventually..

Bromptonaut, why don't you want to be traceable when on your bike?

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - hillman

Has anybody seen the video in the Daily Mail today ? Is the driver at fault ?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4020098/Dramatic-...l

Bromptonaut, why don't you want to be traceable when on your bike?

I don't have any such problem. As a member of the organisation previously known as the CTC I have third party insurance.

My issues are with half baked and utterly impractical solutions to traceabillity.

Can you suggest how I trace the driver who left a dinner plate sized ding in my parked car's door?

I commend you for having insurance.

The solution to traceability isn't impractical.

Get a camera, just like cyclists.

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - nortones2

As you may well be aware, the sections of society that most need to be traceable, on whatever vehicle, often are not. I recall wondering at the cheek of a hatchback flying through a 40 limit heavily populated with cameras. As he pulled into the line of the obedient ones, I noticed he hadn't quite lined up his extra registration plate perfectly. Over the Cat and Fiddle, the trick is to have a hinged rear plate, activated by twine, allowing infinite speed between average speed cameras.

A partial solution could be to allow cyclists to jump red lights, ride incorrect way up one streets legally, at their own risk, i.e. if they are hit by a vehicle they have to prove they were not riding irresponsibly. That might make them think a bit.................or perhaps not.

A partial solution could be to allow cyclists to jump red lights, ride incorrect way up one streets legally, at their own risk, i.e. if they are hit by a vehicle they have to prove they were not riding irresponsibly. That might make them think a bit.................or perhaps not.

You know what they say about give em an inch

Its bad enough they do this already, making it legal would make drivers lives even more difficult. No thank you

Never seen the police fine a cyclist. One day in the local market town, on a one way street often cycled up the wrong way, there was a policeman looking out for offenders, only to just give out a warning. What message does that send out?

Never seen the police fine a cyclist.

They do in London occasionally, for red light jumping. They do get rather upset about it too.

Never seen the police fine a cyclist.

They do in London occasionally, for red light jumping. They do get rather upset about it too.

Good. Probably think they are untouchable and above the law. I used to get het up about cyclists coming towards me on a one way street and would give them as little room as possible. Now I keep well left, avoid eye contact and ignore them. One day when turning out of a side street on to a one way street I naturally only looked left and set off. Next moment a woman on a bike exclaims 'Oh my god' because she'd nearly ridden into my door. I just ignored her and drove off. Perhaps she put a dinner plate size dent in bromptonort's car?

Similarly, passing an artic on a roundabout is in the same league, as he might be turning right and needing the whole width of the road, or even if he's going straight on, his trailer will cut, leaving diminishing space for bike or car. How many times does one see that scenario unfolding!

Two incidences I've had on the roundabouts with artics.

1. I started to go past a trailer on a roundabout as he went left into an exit, but suddenly the back wheels on his trailer started to steer and the end of it crabbed sideways into my path again!

2. A tractor unit came out of a left exit ahead of me as I approached. He had momentum and I thought fair enough, I'll come off the gas slightly. Was just about to cut around the back of him when I noticed in the half gloom that he was pulling an empty trailer that had no side lights! Brakes had to come on sharpish on that one.

Somehow the vegetation behind the tailer made it almost invisible, plus the fact that your brain has made a quick decision that there is just a tractor unit.

The turning from my road into the main road can be very dodgy sometimes, making it difficult to see. It meets at an acute angle and you have to look back virtually over your shoulder to spot approaching traffic. The morning sun can be in your eyes and bikes and motorbikes become almost invisible against the roadside hedge behind them when they are wearing dark clothing. All you can see are the approaching cars further up the road which somehow fools your brain into thinking there is nothing in front of them. I have pulled out only to find a motorbike right behind me that I didn't see. I've got torches brighter than the candle that passed for a headlight on his bike.

Edited by corax on 10/12/2016 at 20:01

Not soo long back I had to get out the cab and help a cyclist who had tried to cycle up my left side while I was stationary and had got his handlebars stuck in the under run bars on my trailer. Although I must admit he was rather sheepish about it, not a road raging one with a camera on his head.

Thankfully you were aware and saw him, this weather mucky mirrors covered in rain and salt spray you could easily have driven over him or dragged his bike for the next twenty miles till it wore out on the road.

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - brum

Donr know what the current highway code says, but when I learnt to drive back in 1967, it was always stressed by the instructor and I believe the highway code then, to check mirrors for cyclists before turning left. If a cyclist was at your side of you or ahead of you it was considered a cardinal sin to try and overtake and then turn. Always slow down, let the cyclist pass then turn.

Common sense and courtesy.

Too many drivers think they own the road just because it costs them money. Please stop this arrogant view towards cyclists. Next one killed might be your child. Never heard of a driver being killed by a cyclist or pedestrian.

Too many drivers think they own the road just because it costs them money. Please stop this arrogant view towards cyclists. Next one killed might be your child.

It's why most kids are driven to school, I used to cycle to school in the eighties, but I'm not sure I'd want to now with the amount of impatience on the roads.

I don't know why drivers have this 'them or us' attitude because half the cyclists are drivers too and pay for the roads.

I saw an episode of Traffic Cops where a cyclist had been knocked over and killed on a dark A road. The young female driver, when she was asked by the police later at her home, said that she thought she'd hit an animal, and was pretty shaken when they told her the truth. No sign of drink driving.

The guy had been riding with no lights, but it was upsetting to see the body lying across the path, and hits home hard.

I saw an episode of Traffic Cops where a cyclist had been knocked over and killed on a dark A road. The young female driver, when she was asked by the police later at her home, said that she thought she'd hit an animal, and was pretty shaken when they told her the truth. No sign of drink driving.

If its the one I'm thinking of, the woman had called the police herself after getting home and seeing the state of her car in a lit street. The cyclist had a violin or something on his back. (also in a completely black case).

coming home this evening I past about 5 cyclists on unlit roads, none had light and only a couple had what I would called light coloured clothing.

I know of some very intelligent people who ride bikes with insufficient lighting, perhaps they're the sames ones who use mobile phones to their ear in cars. I think their mantra is 'I'll be alright, not cycling far, only going to use the phone for a couple of minutes'. The 'it won't happen to me brigade'.

If its the one I'm thinking of, the woman had called the police herself after getting home and seeing the state of her car in a lit street. The cyclist had a violin or something on his back. (also in a completely black case).

That's the one.

I'm inclined to agree with Madf, Darwinism is going to have a busy winter with these unlit lemming ninjas.

The only people i shall feel sorry for are the real victims, the families of those stupid enough to ride unlit like this and those who hit them.

I had a classic the other morning in Banbury, wonder if the twit might reconginse himself, i'm coming up to a small roundabout in me lorry around 6.45am so still well dark but with street lights here and there to turn left, out of the corner of my right eye spot the unlit cyclist just about to enter the roundabout, so i stop as you do and peer at this pedalling statistic, then notice the (thankfully empty) child seat perched behind the rider...brilliant, have a star mate did you notice the tanker who didn't then proceed to overtake you, thought to be fair you did put your right arm out before you wobbled off across the road (the wrong way round the mini roundabout) into that new industrial area, classic.

I wouldn't mind but lights are now stupidly cheap and with modern led's and rechargeable batteries are super bright and cost penies to run, they even have half decent lights in the pound shop for goodness sake, years ago the typical Ever Ready set of lights cost silly money, weighed a lot and you could run a set of U2's out before you got to work/school so it was more understandable then...but we weren't that thick back then and the local copper, who didn't want to have the job of scraping us up, might well stop us and give us an almighty rollicking if were that stupid.

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/12/2016 at 21:57

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - drd63

I'm a keen cyclist and drive 25k miles a year. I can't see why some consider it so unreasonable to use their NS mirror when turning left, equally cyclists should be prepared to stop for those who drivers who can't be a***d. For both parties it's about reading the road. Agree with GB about lights, really good lights available now and we cyclists should use them. Cue fisherman's bend b****ing about how dazzling they are and how alignment should be checked by an MOT station!

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - RT

I'm a keen cyclist and drive 25k miles a year. I can't see why some consider it so unreasonable to use their NS mirror when turning left, equally cyclists should be prepared to stop for those who drivers who can't be a***d. For both parties it's about reading the road. Agree with GB about lights, really good lights available now and we cyclists should use them. Cue fisherman's bend b****ing about how dazzling they are and how alignment should be checked by an MOT station!

You missed a bit - quite rightly, vehicle drivers should use their nearside mirrors - but also cyclists should NOT undertake vehicles indicating left.

No problem using my n/s mirror when turning left. If there are cyclists in the vicinity I try to ensure there is no room for them to go up the inside of me, better for both of us, not always possible to do this

I commend cyclists who use bright lights. On a country lane, this evening near home, the rear light of a cycle was so bright I thought I was coming up behind a moped. This was a cyclist who realised the importance of being seen and being able to see in the dark. An example to all cyclists.

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - Defactio

I don't agree, responsibility is extremely clear:

Highway Code Rule 72:

On the left. Do not ride on the inside of vehicles signalling or slowing down to turn left.

Some cycle lights, including the ones I have, toggle through different modes. I have a strobe mode on mine which is downright stupid and shouldn't be allowed.

I prefer to have the lights on constantly (if they are powerful) instead of flashing - they can be too disconcerting otherwise.

But if the lights are weak I'd have them flashing, so that they get noticed.

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - Cris_on_the_gas

But if the lights are weak I'd have them flashing, so that they get noticed.

They will only be noticed if someone has seen them !

Here's an example of why riding up inside of traffic is a bad idea:

www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/dec/15/chris-gra...s

Car passenger bailing out doesn't check, just opens door. In this case passenger was the Secretary of State for Transport!!

Overtake on offside like everbody else

Here's an example of why riding up inside of traffic is a bad idea:

www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/dec/15/chris-gra...s

Car passenger bailing out doesn't check, just opens door. In this case passenger was the Secretary of State for Transport!!

Overtake on offside like everbody else

Another point I`m getting annoyed about, cyclists moaning cars are in their way, I`ve seen several cyclists today ride on the path then- without looking- drop off the kerb across the front of cars while they are moving.

and they blame the motorist for knocking them off, but boy do they cut it fine when crossing the road?

Just a footnote, if motorists behaved like cyclists, there would be carnage on the roads.

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - focussed

A serious accident that I was nearly involved in on a xmas eve a long while ago.

An enthusiastic cyclist riding along an unlit dual carriageway A- road, at night, crossing the entry slip road gets hit from behind by a car using the entry slip.

I was about 6 cars back so didn't see the impact, just felt the car running over stuff on the road, his xmas shopping. (blood ran cold).

He survived with serious head injuries, never worked again.

He wasn't doing anything stupid or illegal, had lights on the bike, but his rear light just blended in to the rear lights of the moving traffic.

I do question the wisdom of allowing push-bikes to use dual-carriageways, they are effectively no different to a motorway except there is less room for error as there is no hard shoulder.

The other evening I was driving back home, turned off the "main road" into our little close (poor streetlights) and there, riding towards me was a 10 year old on a bike without lights close to the footpath. There are cars parked on the opposite side, but he could have ridden on the footpath (both sides)

I saw him and stopped, but could have been worse.

Do you know his parents?

Do you know his parents?

Yes, they are neighbours but on the spot i was a bit shaken.

The father is built like a mountain gorilla, complete with temperament so will speak with the mother at some point.

The 3 boys are pretty good when playing outside, so don't want to turn it into an issue, so will mention it in passing to the mother.

I drive into our road slowly BECAUSE of the parking issues.

The 3 boys are pretty good when playing outside, so don't want to turn it into an issue, so will mention it in passing to the mother.

I drive into our road slowly BECAUSE of the parking issues.

Good, if he has lights in future it could save hime from an incident.

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - smallcar

aseasyasridingabike.wordpress.com/2016/12/16/the-m.../

A useful counterpoint.

You can see that article was written by a cyclist! Cyclist never do any wrong and they are the only ones to be the victim of verbal and physical abuse?

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - skidpan

We moved house 9 weeks ago and have a real issue with cyclists using the footpath. The neighbours wall is approx 5' tall and when you leave the drive you cannot see what/who is on the pavement until you are well out. The road slopes quite steeply and cyclists come down at a fair speed and would have no chance of stopping. Pedestrians are not an issue, they have a habit of stopping when they see you.

On one occation a cyclist had to swerve onto the road to avoid me, luckilly there was no traffic on the road at the time. I followed him into town (was going that way) and he was a complete idiot. On and off the footpaths to avoid parked cars and totally ignored red traffic lights.

Road has a 30mph limit but the local idiots in their R30 Golfs and RS Focus's use it as a racetrack. Quad bikes are probably the worst doing 2 wheel stunts at stupid mph. Chap just below was telling me that earlier in the year a young kid in a Corsa was trying the take the corner at the bottom of the road as fast as possible. On his 3rd attempt he ran out of tallent and hit the decorative barriers recently installed by the council. It actually ripped the engine out which hit a parked motorhome. The passenger ran off and the driver was screaming for an ambulance. Neighbour attended the scene and told the driver to think about what he had done for 5 minutes and then an amulance would be called.

Obviously I cannot ask the neighbour to lower the wall (its been there for probably 60 years) but other than employing a banksman to direct traffic every time we leave home I cannot think of a way of avoiding the inevitable incident that will happen at some point.

We have a hedge alongside the pavement as does our neighbour. On two occasions, exiting our path onto the pavement, a driver has set off briskly, along the pavement, to get to the dropped section. Idiocy is pretty universally spread.

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - Vitesse6

Is there anywhere you can mount a mirror so you can see up the road and they could see you?

I've reduced the hedge at the edge of the path, due mainly to decay of one of the shrubs, thanks for asking!

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - smallcar
And posts here are written by car drivers. Does that mean they think they can do no wrong too? The best comments I think are those from people who drive, cycle and walk. Then it's just us not us and them which is the thrust of the much of the anti-cycling or anti-car driving fraternity
And posts here are written by car drivers. Does that mean they think they can do no wrong too? The best comments I think are those from people who drive, cycle and walk. Then it's just us not us and them which is the thrust of the much of the anti-cycling or anti-car driving fraternity

I think a little common sense from all would not go amiss, but some cyclists (not all) ride stupidly and have no idea whats going on around them.

one instance this morning, a blind bend with a T junction to the right (my left) on a hill.

cyclist with several cars behind, which I cannot see straight away and slowed to 15mph just as I see cyclist, he had a mini behind who was tight to centre line waiting to overtake when the road straightned.

cyclist decided without signal to swerve right, across the road in front of me into the turning, he did not appear to even notice me heading towards him, luckily I braked fast and missed him, but it was close.

another cyclist whom I spoke to after a similar incident said its not close unless I/you hit each other?

I am not anti cycling,there are loads about that act sensibly,its just the odd few that do not and need to know they are in the wrong instead of those that do not see an incident, automaticaly saying its the drivers fault which is whats happening

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - skidpan

And posts here are written by car drivers. Does that mean they think they can do no wrong too?

Presumably you are a cyclist and from the above quote you agree that along with some car drivers some cyclists are in the wrong.

I used to be a cyclist from the age of 14 to about 35. In all that time I never fell off and did not act stupidly. I knew that to do so would probably end up with a hospital visit (or worse).

I stopped cycling when I started car racing, far safer.

I'm a pedestrian, a part time cyclist and I drive several classes of vehicles.

What I see is the "them and us" term is used on both sides of the fence. Both cyclists and drivers seem to have this view.

What I would say is, maybe cyclists could do well by listening to the phrase drummed into me by my HGV instructor many years ago "the closer you go , the slower you go and the more you look".

As for cyclists being the ones that are verbal and physically abused - I've seen many cyclists kicking and punching cars, screaming and yelling at car drivers because in the cyclists view the car driver has done something wrong. So I think neither group are abused more than the other.

I've seen many cyclists kicking and punching cars, screaming and yelling at car drivers because in the cyclists view the car driver has done something wrong. So I think neither group are abused more than the other

I watched a cyclist having a go at a BUS driver a few weeks ago, the cyclist tried to go straight on at a roundabout while passing a bus turning right

from what I saw they were both to blame, bus driver for not seeing cyclist, and cyclist for not seeing the bus indicate

I watched a cyclist having a go at a BUS driver a few weeks ago, the cyclist tried to go straight on at a roundabout while passing a bus turning right

Shouldn't the cyclist have been on the left for going straight on? they seem to manage it in traffic ;-)

Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - dadbif
If cyclists wish to share the roads with other road users, then they should at the very least;-

Be fitted with a number plate to identify them

Be required to have 3rd party insurance as a minimum

Have to pass a proficiency test and carry a licence to confirm having done so

Conform to the Highway Code

Be liable to prosecution if they do not conform to the kaw
Are drivers of vehicles to give way to b cyclists? - alan1302
If cyclists wish to share the roads with other road users, then they should at the very least;- Conform to the Highway Code

They already do have to follow it

If pedestrians wish to share the roads with other road users, then they should at the very least;-

Edited by Bromptonaut on 20/12/2016 at 20:39

If pedestrians wish to share the roads with other road users, then they should at the very least;-

LOL. I had thought your previous comments had been sensible, not any more.

Edited by Fishermans Bend on 20/12/2016 at 21:28

Shouldn't the cyclist have been on the left for going straight on? they seem to manage it in traffic ;-)

This one held up the traffic following the centre white line, the bus had to wait for a car to move from right in order to make the turn, during that time cyclist overtook the bus,as the bus started its turn, cyclist rode into the side of the bus.

I`ve been looking on Utube as the cyclist threatened to put his video footage on it to show bus driver was in the wrong. Not found it yet though!

I blame that tight pervy lycra, far too tight round the nethers, probably why they're so highly strung.

I blame that tight pervy lycra, far too tight round the nethers, probably why they're so highly strung.

Not as tight as their wallets if they wont pay out for brighter clothes?.

I`ve been looking on Utube as the cyclist threatened to put his video footage on it to show bus driver was in the wrong. Not found it yet though!

I've noticed if you look on Youtube, you'll see quite a bit of dashcam/headcam footage of cyclist doing stupid things. Even some cyclists have taken to posting videos of dangerous/silly cyclists now.