Mercedes-Benz SL-Class R129 - Premium v Standard Fuels - davil

An engineer once told me "If you have any respect for your engine never use supermarket fuel. In fact, only use Premium." My Classic Car buddy (retired from the oil industry) tells me that using Premium all the time can have an abrasive effect on the engine, he suggests Premium every fourth fill. Do you have a view on this subject?

Mercedes-Benz SL-Class R129 - Premium v Standard Fuels - RobJP

There are as many opinions on this as there are people.

HJ (the man himself) recommends always using premium fuels.

Some people on here reckon it's a scam, the 'premium' fuels are no different to the standard fuels. One conspiracy theory nutter has even reckoned HJ must be getting free fuel for his recommendation.

Myself, I regularly use premium diesel. Basically, it's a matter of the garage (me knowing the garage means I know which are the prem fuel pumps) and those pumps being free at the time. So I probably fill up with premium half the time.

Mercedes-Benz SL-Class R129 - Premium v Standard Fuels - leighriley

If you can afford premium fuel - use it. If you can't afford premium fuel - don't!

If you can afford a nice car, put nice fuel in it!

Seriously though - the difference between 50ltr of standard Tesco unleaded and their 99ron Momentum unleaded is £2.50. You can't do much with £2.50 these days.

Mercedes-Benz SL-Class R129 - Premium v Standard Fuels - Railroad.

I think there is a benefit to be had from using good quality higher octane fuel. Regardless of what the manufacturer might recommended in terms of the number of degrees before TDC, the best ignition timing for any engine is as advanced as you can get it without the engine pinking. Higher octane fuels burn in a more controlled manner, and so allow for the ignition timing to be further advanced than lower octane fuels which tend to produce more of an uncontrolled explosion. The result is better and cleaner burning, better fuel economy and more power.

Personally I leave supermarket fuel well alone. It might be a couple of pence per litre cheaper, but that's not because the supermarket wants to do us a favour. It's cheaper because the final product is not as good as the branded stuff.

Mercedes-Benz SL-Class R129 - Premium v Standard Fuels - RT

There are as many opinions on this as there are people.

HJ (the man himself) recommends always using premium fuels.

Some people on here reckon it's a scam, the 'premium' fuels are no different to the standard fuels. One conspiracy theory nutter has even reckoned HJ must be getting free fuel for his recommendation.

Myself, I regularly use premium diesel. Basically, it's a matter of the garage (me knowing the garage means I know which are the prem fuel pumps) and those pumps being free at the time. So I probably fill up with premium half the time.

I use supermarket fuel all the time because it's fresher - there may be a difference in the additive packages but until someone publishes the constituents of their package I'll ignore the PR/marketing hype.

I've never had a fuel related issue in 40+years despite running most of the cars long mileages - and driving all of them hard at times.

Mercedes-Benz SL-Class R129 - Premium v Standard Fuels - skidpan

I use supermarket fuel all the time because it's fresher - there may be a difference in the additive packages but until someone publishes the constituents of their package I'll ignore the PR/marketing hype.

I've never had a fuel related issue in 40+years despite running most of the cars long mileages - and driving all of them hard at times.

+1

Could have written that myself.

Only time we use a "premium" brand is when we go on holiday, the nearest Tesco is 30 miles away and I don't think it makes economic sense to drive that far to save about 4 or 5 pence a litre.

But the rest of the year its Tesco or Asda just like it has been since Asda opened in town in the mid 80's.

All motoring journalists recommend the product they get the best launch holiday from or some other form of financial incentive. I remember when the new Vectra was launched in about 2004/5. They were all saying that finally the Mondeo had met its match. 6 months later it was a 2 star car and not worth considering. What Car recommend Tesco fuel, could they possibly get advertising revenue from the constant plug.

Mercedes-Benz SL-Class R129 - Premium v Standard Fuels - davil

Thanks for the responses, folks. So no definitive answer then. I think I'll stick with every 4th fill Premium and anything going for the rest. The Merc has 105k on the clock and, touch wood, runs turbine smooth.

Mercedes-Benz SL-Class R129 - Premium v Standard Fuels - Peter.N.

I have been using suermarket fuel pretty well since they have been selling it and for hundreds of thousands of miles, I have run diesels for most of this time and have had them last for 200-300k miles and give good economy, so I don't see a problem.

Mercedes-Benz SL-Class R129 - Premium v Standard Fuels - Railroad.

I don't think there's anything wrong with supermarket fuel. I just think the branded end product is better and that engines run better on it. I had an Octavia 1.9TDi that definitely lost a bit of edge when running on supermarket diesel. So I stopped using it and filled up at my local filling station. Within 100 miles the car performed just like it used to. A work colleague had a V8 Range Rover and he said exactly the same.