Focus 1.0 125 - Integral sat nav- maps ou tof date - greenhey

My wife took delivery of a built-to-order Focus last month and opted for the £250 built-in Sync2 sat nav,

Using it since, we have realised that the map software is at least a year behind. Our reference is a new road opened near us in June 2015 which did not appear on the maps supplied as new in October 2016.

We queried this with the dealer. The process is that when the car arrives for PDI the sd card for the sat nav is supplied and the dealer loads it. He checked 6 other cars awaiting delivery and found thay all had software of the same generation as ours.

The dealer took it up with Ford, but got nowhere. So I am dealing with them directly and have twice been told they will do nothing about it- if I "want to update it, I should buy an update sd" ( which is around £70).

I feel this is wrong..you can buy a very good stand alone sat nav for around £120 with lifetime updates. We have paid twice as much for what we have received.

I can't believe there was no update issued between June 2015 ( when the new road was opened) and October 2016. If there was no update in that period, it's not a product worth buying anway.

Focus 1.0 125 - Integral sat nav- maps ou tof date - RT

Satnav maps are typical updated annually - but given the time it takes to process the updates they can be a couple of years out of date.

Built-in satnavs are ALWAYS poor value - so NEVER pay for one - but hindsight doesn't help you.

I have a built-in satnav on my VW Touareg but not an option as they all have one - in my case it's £180 for an annual update - which mine won't get as I'd rather switch it off and use an after-market one with lifetime updates.

Focus 1.0 125 - Integral sat nav- maps ou tof date - RobJP

I would start mentioning to the dealer about the Consumer rights Act, and the Sat Nav system as supplied being 'not fit for purpose', and thus rejecting the car under the aforementioned CRA - unless, of course, the dealer wants to provide, free of charge, the updated SD.

That might just get their attention - your contract is NOT with Ford, but with the dealership. THEY are responsible.

Focus 1.0 125 - Integral sat nav- maps ou tof date - skidpan

Wifes Note was bought in June 2015 but the maps are dated 2103 and in truth are older than that. But are we bothered, not really. It still gets us to where we want to go, in truth there are very few new roads built.

My Garmin was bought in 2010, has never been updated and it still gets me to distant addresses when needed.

On my newly ordered car nav was a £700 approx option. Did I buy it. You would have to be clinically insane when a new Garmin or TomTom can be had for about £100.

Forget about updating your sat nav, enjoy the car.

As for

Sat Nav system as supplied being 'not fit for purpose', and thus rejecting the car under the aforementioned CRA

I don't think that would work since the car is fine, its just the maps that are a bit old. Hardly makes the car "unfit for purpose" does it.

Focus 1.0 125 - Integral sat nav- maps out of date - Happy Blue!

I had three cars with built in SatNav before my current car. They were fine and I used it a great deal. I did not want a Garmin or Tom Tom. Its another piece of stuff to get stolen.

With the current car, I have discovered phone based Nav apps. Perfect. Can't get stolen as its in my pocket wheen I leave the car. Always charged and always up to date (thank you Mr Google) and excellent traffic information with dynamic route guidance (thank you Mr Waze).

For the first time, I dont really need built in SatNav. And the alternative is free save for a bit of data.

Focus 1.0 125 - Integral sat nav- maps out of date - Cyd

I really don't get it either HB. Google maps on your phone is always up to date and absolutely free to use. I reckon it's some kind of black magic how it knows traffic conditions too. Graham Oogle really knows his stuff.

Why anyone would pay for a nav is beyond me.

Of course, it helps that there are '000s of local guides helping to keep it up to date (ahem, you're welcome)

Focus 1.0 125 - Integral sat nav- maps out of date - skidpan

Got a navigation app on my mobile called NavFree which works great and is (like Google Maps constantly updated free. But as I understand it Google maps uses data to load maps as you drive whereas NavFree stores them all on your phone when you install the App meaning no network connection is required.

Hopefully it will work with SmartLink on the new motor.

Focus 1.0 125 - Integral sat nav- maps out of date - RT

Got a navigation app on my mobile called NavFree which works great and is (like Google Maps constantly updated free. But as I understand it Google maps uses data to load maps as you drive whereas NavFree stores them all on your phone when you install the App meaning no network connection is required.

Hopefully it will work with SmartLink on the new motor.

Phone-based satnavs may become useless as you go further into the countryside, just when you need the satnav - fine by the motorways and main roads, ie when you don't really need a satnav.

At least with a stored map you're ok until you get back to civilisation.

Focus 1.0 125 - Integral sat nav- maps out of date - skidpan

Phone-based satnavs may become useless as you go further into the countryside, just when you need the satnav - fine by the motorways and main roads, ie when you don't really need a satnav.

At least with a stored map you're ok until you get back to civilisation.

That is exactly why I like the NavFree app. You are not reliant on a phone or data signal, only a GPS signal (just like any satnav).

When you download the app you get one countries maps free which for the UK and Ireland takes about 500mb. Mine are stored on the SD car in the phone so no impact on the OS.

Work colleague was going to the states on a road trip from Chicago to New Orleans. Down loaded Navfree with the maps she needed (did not do the whole US because of the file size) and had no issues, worked perfectly. More than can be said for the car hire company, booked a Mustang and got a dodgy Chrysler which considering she drove a dodgy PT cruiser was a disapointment.

Focus 1.0 125 - Integral sat nav- maps out of date - SteVee

What are the current laws regarding operating a phone based nav-app vs. a built in app ? Is the built-in app (possibly operated via steering wheel controls) legal while the phone app is not ?

Would a sim-free tablet be considered diffrently to a phone app ? NavFree is very good on a 10inch tablet - but too big for the windscreen, ideal for a passenger.

Ideally, the phone app would link to the car controls, and act as a dash-cam.

Focus 1.0 125 - Integral sat nav- maps out of date - RobJP

The law is simple : it is illegal to use a hand-held phone or 'similar device' whilst driving. 3 points, £100 fine penalty as standard.

For any built-in device - or a phone in cradle, two-way radio, etc., if the police think you are not in full control of your vehicle, or not paying attention to your surroundings, then you can still be stopped and charged/penalised on other basis.

www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law

Focus 1.0 125 - Integral sat nav- maps ou tof date - colinh

The updating of maps seems to be a bit hit-and-miss. We've had three major roads opened in NW Spain in the last year or so. TomTom had two of them on their update (they supply 4 per year) issued a month after opening - the third took over a year to appear. Garmin (who seem to supply 3 updates per year recently) had all three about six months after opening.

On a more local level - our estate built about 12 years ago - appeared on TomTom after 3-4 years - Garmin after 10 years!

Edited by colinh on 29/11/2016 at 15:13