Picasso c3 v CMax V Juke - Changing car - deneva

We bought our 2014 Fabia 1.2 Ts about 10 months ago, but due to health problems it's now proving difficult to get in to. So we unfortunately are going to have to change it. Looking at the following contenders

Nissan Juke petrol model 2011 35,000 miles £7500

Ford Cmax titanium, 2011, 37000 miles £7900

Citroen Picasso c3 2012 and 2013, 24000 miles both diesel and Petrol £6000 to £8000 several to choose from.

All are comfortable, and have easy access especially the Citroen's, what we also need is reliability and economy, the Fabia was good at these, I am also not sure on the diesel options with the Citroen and the DPF thing. We do a fair amount of short trips, but do get out every other weekend for longer trips. Did have a an note diesel,with no DPF which was most economical car ever owned, but very uncomfortable and a bit unreliable. Which of the above is best to consider, I have been offered £5300 part ex for Fabia, and have a max of £9000 Inc part ex, would like to keep it nearer £ 8000 if I can hence we are not looking at newer cars than Fabia, and don't want to do finance at all. Any advice on above or alternatives appreciated.

Edited by Avant on 14/09/2016 at 19:20

Picasso c3 v CMax V Juke - Changing car - RichardW

Drive them all and see which suits best, and which looks the 'best' for its miles (ie service history, MOT history). 2011 was the change over from the troublesome 16V 1.6 diesel used in the Citroen and the Ford to the better 8V engine. The C-Max might be the earlier one, which is best avoided; the 2012 C3 should be the later one (a felt engine cover rather than a plastic one saying HDi 16 on it is the giveaway). I've got 2 1.6 HDis (the early ones....!) and both happily re-gen the filter in normal open road driving with no need for going out to try and force them to do it. Likely the petrol will be cheaper to buy, but fuel and tax costs will be a bit higher - whether the maths works out will depend on your annual mileage.

Picasso c3 v CMax V Juke - Changing car - SLO76
I'd stick to petrol if you're doing a limited mileage. Cheaper to buy and less to go wrong particularly regarding the 1.6 PSA diesels in some C3's and Ford C-Max models.

Citroens haven't the best reputation for longevity and while the petrol and the older 1400 diesels are tough they tend to get a bit tatty and rattly through age and are next to worthless at 6 years plus. The petrol Juke is largely trouble free but my choice would be the C-max with the Yamaha designed 1600 petrol which is vice free if serviced annually using the correct oil and to me feels the more comfortable better driving car.