Toyota Yaris - Older Car with Low Mileage - good idea or no? - Calum White
So for a first car, after sharing my mum's car for nearly a year, I've been looking at some of the old style Toyota Yaris - one in particular I'm looking at has done 32,000 miles - the 1.4 D-4D. Now I'm going to be seeing the car in person soon but the advert has claimed it has full service history, has been well looked after, no advisories previous MOT etc - would you say reliability wise this car would be a safe bet to last a while, or would I do better looking at a newer car with higher mileage?

One thing that attracted this car to me was how reliable it was claimed - would this still hold true to a well looked after 11-year old car? I know the main things to look out for would be rust in various places, if I could have any more tips on what to look out for that'd be great as well because this car seems to tick all of the boxes.
Toyota Yaris - Older Car with Low Mileage - good idea or no? - RobJP
Low mileage is at least as bad for a car as high mileage.
Think about it. An 11 year old car with 32k miles has done 3k miles a year. So most of the time the engine (and thus the engine oil, and the lubricating properties of that oil) has barely warmed up. Leading to lots more engine wear than on a car with 'normal' mileage.
Whilst that might not always be correct (it's possible that the car went on a 60 mile round trip once a week, thus getting up to temperature, rather than a lots of short journeys from stone cold), it's generally true.
Toyota Yaris - Older Car with Low Mileage - good idea or no? - bathtub tom
The general advice is not to buy a new diesel if you're doing less than 12-15K miles a year. You don't say how old the one you're looking at is.

Don't believe anything anyone selling a car tells you. Check the MOT history and mileage here: www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
Toyota Yaris - Older Car with Low Mileage - good idea or no? - Wackyracer
I would rather buy a low mileage car than a high mileage one. If it has receipts for parts and servicing, the number of exhaust parts replaced can often highlight cars that have done continuous short journey. If it has done sensible length journeys it might still have the original exhaust system.

Tom, the OP said it's 11 years old, that won't have a DPF as far as I recall and will be fine for any journey.
I checked the MOT history myself and there are no advisories or fails whatsoever - initially I found this dodgy but someone suggested work had been done before the MOT which makes sense if the car was well looked after.

The car in question is 11 years old (2005, 05 reg). If what has been said is true (that the car may have not been used "properly" (in that it was rarely warmed up)), are there any tell-tale signs when I go to see the car?
Toyota Yaris - Older Car with Low Mileage - good idea or no? - gordonbennet
I agree with Wackyracer, if it all checks out, has been serviced on time not mileage based, and service mileage tallies with MOT history, i'd be quite happy to buy it.

No advisories sounds about right for a Toyota of this age and mileage, not something i would worry about, it might just point to the fact its been cared for properly and not just another neglectful owner who assumes the MOT test is all the looking at it gets.

A string of owners would put me off, one or two i would expect given the mileage.
Toyota Yaris - Older Car with Low Mileage - good idea or no? - madf

We have a 2003 D4D Yaris which is never warmed up. Annual oil and filter changes and the odd Italian tune up work wonders.
No DPF.
Just to let you all know I took the plunge in buying the car - the service history showed the previous owner had it serviced every 2000 miles and it was absolutely spotless. Drove from Kent to east Essex home without an issue - it was fantastic to drive and hopefully will continue to be.
Toyota Yaris - Older Car with Low Mileage - good idea or no? - mss1tw
Sounds like a great buy, well done
Toyota Yaris - Older Car with Low Mileage - good idea or no? - corax
I hope it serves you well. They are a great machine if you want low running costs. I've driven three Mk1 Yarises over the last few years and always like them.
Toyota Yaris - Older Car with Low Mileage - good idea or no? - gordonbennet
Mucho envy here, well bought.
Toyota Yaris - Older Car with Low Mileage - good idea or no? - Wackyracer
Sounds like a peach, do regular servicing and it should last you years.
Toyota Yaris - Older Car with Low Mileage - good idea or no? - Cyd

Kudos. Sounds like a great buy.

I’ve bought several very low mileage cars for my wife over the years. Usually where the previous owner has died or given up driving. The biggest issues I’ve had are:

1. Engines tend to be coked up, sludged up or both, or well on their way to being. However there is remedy

Run it on Shell VPower, Esso Supreme or BP Ultimate. My wife currently has a C1 (Toyota Aygo engine) and it runs best on the Esso. Any of these will reverse the effects of coking up over 5000 miles or so.

Change the oil every 3 months for the first year and flush at each change. Add Wynns Diesel Flush before draining and then flush with a proper flush oil (I use Comma Flush Out). Then flush with 2 litres or so of the same oil you’re gonna use for refill. I also use a new filter the first time I flush and then remove it and keep it for subsequent flushes. In the second year change twice with the same regime. In the third year and on continue to change twice but just flush once.

2. Tyres. With such a low mileage it’s likely the rear tyres are original, in which case they’ll be over 10 years old. Have the front tyres replaced (unless they are nearly new) and moved to the rear. Put the current rears on the front and get some more wear out of them for a year and then replace them.

3. Brakes: I’ve found that cars like this tend to have pads with little wear, but discs with loads of rust. I always inspect them and if they are like that replace pads and discs when down to 3mm friction material (and in any case never drop below 2mm).

Cars like this also tend not to have had wipers replaced. Check them carefully and replace if there is any doubt over their condition. Give the screen a good clean with polish if you have it or toothpaste if you don’t (and plenty of elbow grease). Wash off with a solution of washer fluid. Do not use the wipers to wipe the polish away.

Whenever I buy a new car I usually replace all filters, plugs, MTF, brake fluid and coolant no matter what the service history says. Usually after about a month or so.

The nay-sayers will be along soon to tell you this is all un-necessary and OTT. However, servicing is cheap compared to a knackered car. I’ve always got great service out of my cars and often sold them on to very appreciative owners who’ve also continued to get great service from them. Treat her like a lady and she’ll love you back.

Enjoy and stay safe.

thanks very much for the advice! I have the feeling the tyres are the originals looking at the tread and condition of them and I may just get them replaced soon anyway.

With the oil, is flushing it an "easy" task - since this is the first car I've bought I don't have any kind of mechanical experience, but I want to learn to do simple things like that - or would I be better getting a mechanic to do it?
Toyota Yaris - Older Car with Low Mileage - good idea or no? - galileo
thanks very much for the advice! I have the feeling the tyres are the originals looking at the tread and condition of them and I may just get them replaced soon anyway. With the oil, is flushing it an "easy" task - since this is the first car I've bought I don't have any kind of mechanical experience, but I want to learn to do simple things like that - or would I be better getting a mechanic to do it?

To flush the oil you would need: Drain plug key (and container to hold the old oil and flushing oil) New Oil filters (one fitted for flushing and one after) Flushing oil Quality oil to refill (possibly new drainplug gasket) In order to access the drain plug and have room to get the container for old oil under the car may need to be raised up on suitable supports. Given all the above and the likely price a garage would charge, I suggest that would be better than doing it yourself.

Search YouTube. You’ll find loads of instructional videos for car servicing of all sorts. Also buy a Haynes manual. I’m a 30 year experienced automotive Engineer, used to build rally cars, but I still refer to these sources regularly. Have you got any friends who service their cars who can help get you started?

I get the front higher up by reversing my front wheels up a pair of ramps. Look at eBay item 162017188871, they are very similar to what I have.

You will need to invest in a few basic tools, but as the years wear on they will pay you back many times over.

My Grandfather taught me initially and also used to say “if you want it doing properly, do it yourself”.

Yeah, get those tyres replaced. My wifes C1 has recently had Goodyear Efficientgrip Compacts fitted, very pleased with them, especially in the wet. Good value too.

Search in Amazon books for Car maintenance & Repair by Gabriel Alexander

I’ve been surrounded by ‘car nuts’ all my life, so have never needed such a book, but it looks okay for a novice.

Toyota Yaris - Older Car with Low Mileage - good idea or no? - madf

Changing the oil and filter on a Yaris D4D is NOT that simple.
There is a full length engine undertray with compartments for oil and filters. Unless you have a pit , or very good jacks, removal is a real pia.

NOT suitable if you are not mechanically minded. (You need an oil filter removal tool - I use swmbo's rubber jar opener).

I recommend a garage jobbie. (We have a pit and I'm about to do ours - it IS a pia)

Edited by madf on 28/07/2016 at 15:13

Toyota Yaris - Older Car with Low Mileage - good idea or no? - yokel38
I have worked for Toyota for nearly 30 yrs, and I'd buy it in a flash! These things are absurdly reliable. I've always thought the diesel Yaris drives better than petrol engine models, a bit more low down power etc. The reason I'd go for this car is simple, the glow plugs, it won't need any. We've had a few of these with high mileages that required new glow plugs, and they are a nightmare to remove, often impossible without snapping them off in the head, which is not a good thing, however nothing else would concern me at all, buy it, and enjoy trouble free motoring.
Toyota Yaris - Older Car with Low Mileage - good idea or no? - slowdown avenue
buy just be ready to change drop links. . the fuel filter might need a big chain to get it free