VW Golf MK5 - 3M headlight restoration kit, frosted headlamps? - K21000

Not sure whether I should buy new headlamps or try the 3M kit. I have seen good reviews, but it shows results for cloudy dirty headlamps. Mine are not like this. They seem to have formed a frosted cracked pattern. Here is a pic of mine. You will probably have to download the image to zoom in and actually see the frosting.

https://www.btcloud.bt.com/?shareObject=4a04d444-cbe7-3eb6-0df6-1236d5e8ec1d

Edited by K21000 on 29/06/2016 at 20:39

VW Golf MK5 - 3M headlight restoration kit, frosted headlamps? - gordonbennet

You don't need anything expensive, try autosol metal polish or even T Cut, if the fading finish is on the outside it will cut it back with a bit of elbow grease, if its inside or through the plastic then it won't.

If compounding works, put a few coats of wax polish on to help protect them from the sun.

My Landcruiser lights are fading @ 16 year and its on the inside, the Subaru @ 14 years came up like new again because the fading was outside.

My 20 year old Benz headlights are like new and have never needed compounding, glass not plastic, these modern cars just aint made to last :-)

VW Golf MK5 - 3M headlight restoration kit, frosted headlamps? - quizman

If you have to buy some new lights, don't do what I did with my Passat. I bought some cheap ones from Euro Car Parts and they were rubbish. Get them from a VW dealer and ask nicely for a discount.

VW Golf MK5 - 3M headlight restoration kit, frosted headlamps? - K21000

I tried good old autosol with a cloth and elbow grease. Results are good, but it was very time consuming and hard work. I think it's going in the right direction, but maybe the 3M kit with drill attachments might be better. I think it needs something like the cutting power of autosol and a finer compound to finish. After washing, I noticed that water beads on the parts I worked at, but elsewhere the water just glides off. I think it certainly needs some kind of coating to stop the water beading and for UV protection.