Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer - Numerous problems - IanLB

My step-son bought this car from a well known car supermarket one year ago.

He had only gone about 500 yards from the dealer and the turbo blew. At that point I would have handed the car back and walked away but he wanted the car so they reluctantly replaced the turbo for him. He didn't buy their warranty as he couldn't afford the £400 they wanted for one year.

Since then the rear brakes have locked on (2 new calipers) a road spring has snapped clean in half (2 new rear springs) a speed sensor has stopped working and it is now having a front wheel bearing replaced.

He thinks he might have some comeback with the dealer due to all the problems but I don't think he will get anywhere with them.

We need some advice about where he stands and how to approach the dealer. I am totally out of the loop with car buying as I've had the same Toyota for the past 22 years and I don't intend getting rid of it anytime soon!

Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer - Numerous problems - RobJP

A year on, used car, worn parts wearing out ... sorry to say this, but the selling garage has no legal liability at all.

The law actually changed last October, giving a lot more rights to buyers (but only for purchases made after that date, not retrospectively). Even under the new legislation (the Consumer Rights Act), he'd have virtually no chance of any comeback after 12 months on a used car.

Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer - Numerous problems - IanLB

A year on, used car, worn parts wearing out ... sorry to say this, but the selling garage has no legal liability at all.

The law actually changed last October, giving a lot more rights to buyers (but only for purchases made after that date, not retrospectively). Even under the new legislation (the Consumer Rights Act), he'd have virtually no chance of any comeback after 12 months on a used car.

Thank you for your reply, you've confirmed what I thought.

Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer - Numerous problems - Wackyracer

I am totally out of the loop with car buying as I've had the same Toyota for the past 22 years and I don't intend getting rid of it anytime soon!

Good call, Those old toyota's had great build quality.

As for the Vauxhall, it's just part of modern mediocre cars. plenty of modern cars suffer from broken springs due to thinner wire being used. I'm glad your step son didn't waste his money on the warranty, most of those car (or other appliance etc.) warranties are not worth the paper they are written on.

Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer - Numerous problems - Wolfan

As for the Vauxhall, it's just part of modern mediocre cars.

What a load of sphereoids.

Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer - Numerous problems - daveyK_UK
Like the Vectra C it replaced, the Insignia is riddled with faults.

Just be pleased your gearbox didn't pack in like my friends did in his 1.8 petrol at only 3 years, 7 months old. One of many known faults.
Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer - Numerous problems - RT

We've had a Vectra-C for 10 years - apart from all the usual issues with the Fiat diesel, the only thing that's been an issue are the repeated broken springs, which seem to be common on many Vauxhall models and made a lot worse the way my son drives ove speed humps.

Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer - Numerous problems - bazza

The poor springs problem is common right across European cars, according to an indie I used, his garage was full of them and he does them almost every day. Notably he thought the Japanese manufacturers used thicker gauge wire but that was only his opinion.

The poor springs problem is common right across European cars, according to an indie I used, his garage was full of them and he does them almost every day. Notably he thought the Japanese manufacturers used thicker gauge wire but that was only his opinion.

That is why I said 'modern cars' and not specific to Vauxhall, my sisters husbands Mondeo had a front spring break while going down the motorway and her Fusion had a front spring break just on their driveway while it was standing still. Like you say common across many manufacturers.

Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer - Numerous problems - corax

Maybe these will be more reliable

ae-plus.com/technology/sogefi-makes-composite-coil...s

Like the Vectra C it replaced, the Insignia is riddled with faults.

Absolute t***, I bought my high mileage 2.2 ltr Vectra C an ex repmobile at two years old twelve years ago to replace a MK111Cavalier with similar history. It has been a fast comforable and reliable car better built than a Mondeo or anything Japanese that I have ridden in over the years. I chose to keep it for general use when I got an X350 V8 Jaguar three years ago rather than replace it with something smaller and newer. It has proved to be the right decision. Let's hear more from people who have owned Vauxhalls rather than those who whose information is gleaned from their second or third cousins twice removed best friend or worse still the opinion of that arch Ford enthusiast the buffoon that is Jeremy Clarkson.

Let's hear more from people who have owned Vauxhalls rather than those who whose information is gleaned from their second or third cousins twice removed best friend or worse still the opinion of that arch Ford enthusiast the buffoon that is Jeremy Clarkson.

I have owned many Vauxhalls over the years and still do own 2 of them now. I'm quite entitled to express my experience of them and they are well known issues with these models, not isolated unknown ones.

I have owned many Vauxhalls over the years and still do own 2 of them now. I'm quite entitled to express my experience of them and they are well known issues with these models, not isolated unknown ones.

If I have posted a comment that when a more cogent point of view is made has shown mine to be palpable nonsense then I am willing to hold my hands up and admit that I am wrong. Unhapply those who make illinformed sweeping generalisations as in this case about the Vectra C choose to try and justify their opinions rather than do the same. There are plenty of these still around providing stirling service, try one and then comment on experience rather than hearsay claptrap.

Edited by Wolfan on 11/06/2016 at 20:10

Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer - Numerous problems - barney100

My daughter has one with well over 100,000 miles on it and it's been a great car. She does not drive sympathetically either, apart from routine servicing nothing to report, it's a diesel manual 2 litre I think

Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer - Numerous problems - Avant

Ian - welcome to the forum. As moderator I apologise for the unnecessary argument that has started over the merits of Vauxhalls, which is nothing to do with your question.

You might say you're out of the loop but I agree with the others that you've got it right: your stepson was clearly entitled to a free replacement turbo but - depending on the age of the car - some if not all of the other repairs are wear and tear items, especially since he's had the car for a year.

No doubt you'll be advising him to cut his losses, flog the Insignia and get a Toyota! Nothing soldiers on like an old Toyota as you know well!

I'm trying to think what a 1994 Toyota would be - a Carina perhaps. I'd imagine that you've looked after it well and it's done the same for you.

I'm trying to think what a 1994 Toyota would be - a Carina perhaps. I'd imagine that you've looked after it well and it's done the same for you.

I wonder if the OP's Toyota was new when he bought it?

Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer - Numerous problems - daveyK_UK

Having previously owned a low mileage 53 plate Vectra C and known other people who owned the same car, I am correct to say the vehicle has a multitude of potential problems.

This is based on my own exeprioences, my friends experiences and the experience of the local garage who I used for MOT's.

I will never recommend anyone buys a vectra C.

Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer - Numerous problems - Layla321

The car as a whole has been extremely reliable with the only negatives being some of the internal electrics, which I am pleased to say has not affected the cars ability to get me to my destination safely. I dis spec the 19 inch wheels and also buy top spec tyres so at l250 per tyre (michelin pilot 3) this does inflate the running costs some what. I bought these as a further way to save fuel as they are green x branded but have not really seen any difference.

(Link deleted.)

Edited by Avant on 10/01/2019 at 13:23

Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer - Numerous problems - Layla321

The car as a whole has been extremely reliable with the only negatives being some of the internal electrics, which I am pleased to say has not affected the cars ability to get me to my destination safely. I dis spec the 19 inch wheels and also buy top spec tyres so at l250 per tyre (michelin pilot 3) this does inflate the running costs some what. I bought these as a further way to save fuel as they are green x branded but have not really seen any difference.

Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer - Numerous problems - Meteiro

I have a 1.4 petrol Insignia (albeit a hatchback) and I've had issues since buying it a few months back. Worst sorted under warranty. Seems to be some known faults amongst owners (m32 gearbox, mainly pre 2013 facelift) known to go bang due to weak bearings I believe. Pedal assembly is another (plastic part expands in heat and leads to squeeking and clicking). Coolant system issues (I had radiator box, coolant housing and water pump leaks). Electrical gremlins (battery disconnected resolves usually, though never had an issue myself).

Basically for me, I think the last owner ragged it and I'm picking up the pieces. As I got things fixed though the car has transformed. I've had the coolant system repairs, manual gearbox oil change, and a few other bits, and it drives beautifully. You'd never think it had 20k on it, much less nearly 60k.

Have a bit of mechanical sympathy, get maintenance done correctly and pre-emptively (don't follow 20k oil change!) and it should be a good car for a long time, but of course it means you need to put right all the crap the last owner has likely caused by poor treatment first...