Mercedes-Benz CLS 350 CDI - Shell V-Power/BP Ultimate Diesels - wallywalnut

I just wanted to endorse HJ's recommendation of Shell V-Power Diesel. Last week on a 400 mile run from Dijon using a mixture of Shell V-Power and BP Ultimate Diesels I pulled into our Hotel in Carcassonne showing an average of 49.6 mpg for the journey. This was door to door, included stops for fuel, lunch and 'peages', a fullish load, two passengers and A/C on all the time. OK, this was a shown on the car's computer and could be a bit optimistic but actual usage generally checked out; we also showed an average speed of 75 for all running time - not bad for a 3 litre V6 - I'm a 'Premium Fuel' convert.

Mercedes-Benz CLS 350 CDI - Shell V-Power/BP Ultimate Diesels - alan1302

Not sure how this endorses HJ's view? We'd need to know what you normally get as a comparison first.

Mercedes-Benz CLS 350 CDI - Shell V-Power/BP Ultimate Diesels - Cyd

Good for you. I've written reams on here in the past about why super unleaded is better for your engine, most of which is gleaned from my own experience (Rover and Saab turbos) and colleagues who work in Powertrain here at a major oem in the Midlands.

You stick with it if it's your own car, but don't worry, the naysayers will be along shortly to tell you it's all marketing hype and how HJ is in Shell's pay and that you're just getting the placebo effect from paying more. i simply can't be bothered with the typing anymore.

Mercedes-Benz CLS 350 CDI - Shell V-Power/BP Ultimate Diesels - RobJP

Good for you. I've written reams on here in the past about why super unleaded is better for your engine, most of which is gleaned from my own experience (Rover and Saab turbos) and colleagues who work in Powertrain here at a major oem in the Midlands.

You stick with it if it's your own car, but don't worry, the naysayers will be along shortly to tell you it's all marketing hype and how HJ is in Shell's pay and that you're just getting the placebo effect from paying more. i simply can't be bothered with the typing anymore.

Very well said. I use V-Power in the 325d. However it probably runs about 2 fills out of 3 on that, as my wife always just goes to the first free pump !

Mercedes-Benz CLS 350 CDI - Shell V-Power/BP Ultimate Diesels - Cyd

I'm on super unleaded petrol for my 9-3 Aero 2.0T. I variously use Vpower and Momentum99. It produces about 16hp and 20Nm more on M99 than on standard Tesco unleaded. The tune I have pushes the standard intercooler just beyond it's capability on a hot summer day (25C plus) with repeated 'bootings' pushing intake temps to 50c. Vpower is the only fuel which allows the tune to hold on to 18psi boost - on standard unleaded it's back to standard 12psi in no time (i really should buy a big intercooler, but super is easier on the wallet). When I bought the car at 3yrs/40k it was quite coked up on the pistons - now the pistons are almost completely clear of coke. Can't comment on economy - I buy it for the power, cleanliness and smooth running (even on a 4 cyl petrol with twin Lanchester balancers it's noticably smoother).

Mercedes-Benz CLS 350 CDI - Shell V-Power/BP Ultimate Diesels - DirtyDieselDogg

meh!