VW Transporter/MPV - Disability vehicle - tax exemption - Patty Odore

Afternoon all, my first post so please be gentle with me.

My disabled partner has just bought a second hand disability van as above. He has spinal stenosis and has been in a wheelchair for the last 5 years. He receives Attendance Allowance but not DLA, for some inexplicable reason. The van has been specially adapted for a wheelchair user, so has a lift, hand controls, most seats removed etc.

So - we need to tax the van. Online, it says that he needs a VED certificate to proceed. The DWP will not issue him with one as he doesn't get the right kind of disability benefit. The Post Office say we need to get in touch with the DWP, who say we need to change the tax exemption status on the vehicle before it can be taxed. How complicated can this be? Surely any disabled driver needs a bit more help rather than have to jump through hoops and post stuff off to the DVLA (can't remember when I last had to do that!) He's desperate to drive this van and now he can't.

Is there any possible way we can get this sorted quickly? Or is there a way through it which I'm missing? He accepts rather begrudgingly that he'll have to pay car tax, but why can't we do it online instantly, like ordinary drivers can?

VW Transporter/MPV - Disability vehicle - tax exemption - brum

I think as its previously been registered tax exempt you have to jump through the hoops to reset it to normal status. Unfortunately some things are not do-able online.

VW Transporter/MPV - Disability vehicle - tax exemption - oldroverboy.

I think as its previously been registered tax exempt you have to jump through the hoops to reset it to normal status. Unfortunately some things are not do-able online.

Go to the local dvla office if there is one left....

VW Transporter/MPV - Disability vehicle - tax exemption - Auristocrat

Most DVLA local offices were closed down as part of a centralisation initiative by Government.

VW Transporter/MPV - Disability vehicle - tax exemption - Auristocrat

Have you actually tried speaking to DVLA to determine the quickest way forward?

VW Transporter/MPV - Disability vehicle - tax exemption - Wolfan

He could apply to the DWP for the new P.I.P., if successful he will get the exemption certificate and be able to tax it as a disabled vehicle. In the meantime contact DVLA so that he can tax the vehicle normally, if his claim is approved the he can get a refund for any unexpired complete months left when it reverts to the disabled tax class.

VW Transporter/MPV - Disability vehicle - tax exemption - RT

There are several levels of disability as far as benefits/exemptions go - the most disabled get all the concessions, the least disabled just get a Blue Badge and a Bus Pass - the levels inbetween get progressively more concessions.

The new PIP only applies up to age 64 as it's a work-related benefit.

VW Transporter/MPV - Disability vehicle - tax exemption - Wolfan

My mistake, a pensioner friend has recently been awarded it but she was transfered from D.L.A.

VW Transporter/MPV - Disability vehicle - tax exemption - slkfanboy

It's now the post office you need. Sadly its normal TAX if you saying you don't received the right kind of benefits.

The system is c*p and meant to mess people about to the point they don't bother.

VW Transporter/MPV - Disability vehicle - tax exemption - Bromptonaut

As the OP refers to Attendance Allowance I assume the partner is over pension age. If they're not getting legacy DLA or PIP for Mobility and are over 64 it's not possible to start a new claim for a benefit that would allow vehicle to remain in disabled class. That's not new, it goes back at least as far as introduction of DLA c1992.

Change of tax class can, as slkfan says, be done at Post Office:

www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-tax-class/tax-due-to-run...t