Bentley Mulsanne (1991) - An appreciating asset - really? - Benet

This looks too good to be true - Is it?

www.csgmotorcompany.com/bentley-mulsanne-s-very-lo...7

I happened to see this car this morning while at this dealer for another purpose. It seemed totally desirable in every way - one of the last real British Bentleys, and the bodywork was far more perfect than you would ever expect from a 1991 car. Is it true that this will appreciate in value? I'm sorely tempted

Bentley Mulsanne (1991) - An appreciating asset - really? - RobJP

I would imagine it will cost more in maintenance than it will appreciate.

Bentley Mulsanne (1991) - An appreciating asset - really? - NARU

I'd be checking it very carefully for rust

Bentley Mulsanne (1991) - An appreciating asset - really? - Ethan Edwards

Have you looked on Autotrader just how many Rolls of similar age ( and virtually identical mechanically ) there are?

It's not rare it's not that desirable imo.

Why would you think it's going to become sought after? A similar age mint condition Alfa Sud that has a cult following or a original mint Golf GTI mk 1 again that has a cult following would be a far better bet imo. Is there a Bentley Barge cult following that I am unaware of?

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 20/03/2016 at 09:08

Bentley Mulsanne (1991) - An appreciating asset - really? - daveyjp
Doubt it will appreciate over the next 10-15 years, but it shouldn't lose much as long as you keep tipping cash into the money pit!

One of those cars I'd like to borrow for a couple of weeks to do a grand tour of Scotland then hand back.
Bentley Mulsanne (1991) - An appreciating asset - really? - madf

A brick on wheels is better to look at.

And the cost of the suspension repairs (AIR i THINK AT REAR?) and the braking system.. means you need at least £5k a year just to keep them on the road..

Bentley Mulsanne (1991) - An appreciating asset - really? - Wackyracer

And the cost of the suspension repairs (AIR i THINK AT REAR?) and the braking system.. means you need at least £5k a year just to keep them on the road..

They use the Citroen Hydropneumatic suspension and IMHO it's the best bit of the whole car.

Bentley Mulsanne (1991) - An appreciating asset - really? - mss1tw

A brick on wheels is better to look at.

That hasn't stopped Range Rovers being a huge success ;)

(Although I think of them as a garden shed instead of a brick)

Odd I think of Disco's as big Bread vans and about as desirable a motor. Fugly like an Evoque.

Doubt it will appreciate over the next 10-15 years, but it shouldn't lose much as long as you keep tipping c ash into the money pit!One of those cars I'd like to borrow for a couple of weeks to do a grand tour of Scotland then hand back.

Yes, I agree. Taking it along the autobahn in Germany would be fun too

Bentley Mulsanne (1991) - An appreciating asset - really? - John F
, I agree. Taking it along the autobahn in Germany would be fun too

Would it really?

www.automobile-catalog.com/make/bentley/mulsanne_e...l

You'd be better off with a 10yr old A8 W12 for around half the money, the modern-day 'poor man's Bentley'. And you wouldn't be overtaken by a mini!

Bentley Mulsanne (1991) - An appreciating asset - really? - John F

Head - far too much money for an old steel barge with a huge dated lump of an engine producing an embarrassingly small amount of power for its size unless turboed. Unlikely to even enter the grey area between a piece of automotive machinery and a work of art.

Heart - if you love it, go for it. But like the object of most automotive love affairs it is unlikely to appreciate in value over and above inflation.

Bentley Mulsanne (1991) - An appreciating asset - really? - RT

Bentley and Rolls-Royce were never cars to buy with the head, new or used

Bentley Mulsanne (1991) - An appreciating asset - really? - Sofa Spud

This looks too good to be true - Is it?

www.csgmotorcompany.com/bentley-mulsanne-s-very-lo...7

I happened to see this car this morning while at this dealer for another purpose. It seemed totally desirable in every way - one of the last real British Bentleys, and the bodywork was far more perfect than you would ever expect from a 1991 car. Is it true that this will appreciate in value? I'm sorely tempted

The last of the 'real' British Bentleys was made 60 years previously, in 1931!

After that they were just 'badge engineered' Rolls-Royces apart from a few exceptions like the Bentley R Type Continental of the early 1950's.

Lovely car though. I'd imagine it will appreciate slowly in value but would cost a lot to maintain and preserve. Once it's reached a certain level of classic status its value would probably be subject to the fluctuations in the classic car market. At the moment it suffers from looking dated rather than classic, but all cars go through that phase. The Silver Shadow, the Jaguar Mk 2, the Rover P4 all just looked 'out of date' a one stage.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 20/03/2016 at 11:09

Bentley Mulsanne (1991) - An appreciating asset - really? - ExA35Owner

The old salesman's line: if you need to ask the price, you can't afford it.

Bentley Mulsanne (1991) - An appreciating asset - really? - gordonbennet

You would not believe the costs of repairs and parts, if you've ever had a high spec Merc shift the decimal point along at least one and you might be getting somewhere near, 5 figure bills are regular.

Too expensive anyway, you can get into a Brooklands for not much more.

Lots of very sensible arguments here. I guess I'll not be splashing out just now...The Auris is the same colour and also has a reassuringly solid clunk when you close the door - and I guess 40mpg makes more sense than 12. Shame though

Not just the thirst. Mega pricey insurance tax tyres etc. Awkward driving round town and in car parks. Idiots will key it in the street etc. You'll need to have a huge garage to park it in. It will take over your life and ruin it.

Like you I'm thinking of getting a cheap fun car but mine thinking is running along the lines of a 1800cc Celica about an 02 to an 06 and a lot cheaper than your plans. Still keeping my daily driver though.

Bentley Mulsanne (1991) - An appreciating asset - really? - Wackyracer

Like you I'm thinking of getting a cheap fun car but mine thinking is running along the lines of a 1800cc Celica about an 02 to an 06 and a lot cheaper than your plans. Still keeping my daily driver though.

I've often thought of buying a Celica ST205 but, then I know the enjoyment prevention officer won't be happy if I buy another car.

I've often thought of buying a Celica ST205 but, then I know the enjoyment prevention officer won't be happy if I buy another car.

Enjoyment prevention officers - can't live with them, can't live witout them