Isuzu Dmax 2014 - DPF issue - Beau1

Hi Hope someone can help

Bought a new Isuzu Dmax just over a year ago and having some problems. The oil level is rising. Doing some reading on this apparently it's something to do with the DPF cyle and the fact I do a lot of short runs. Can't change my work so need to go on damage limitation. Had the oil changed once between services as I did not like the idea of diesel swishing about in the oil but the level is rising quite quickly and still not got to it's first service at 12000 miles. Now I have spoken with the dealer but they are not inrested just saying it's fine as long as it doesn't reach the max level on the dipstick. They checked to see if it had the "upgrades" and it had. This was a dipstick with the max level higher up! Where now?

Thanks

Beau

Edited by Beau1 on 19/02/2016 at 13:10

Isuzu Dmax 2014 - DPF issue - RobJP

Sorry, but modern diesels with DPFs are just not suited to repeated short runs.

If the oil is being contaminated with diesel, then you need to get an oil change done - NOW. Not when it is supposed to be due.

In all seriousness, you'd be best selling it and getting something more suited to your usage pattern.

Yes, I know that's not very helpful. However, if you keep it :

The DPF is going to clog up sooner rather than later, landing you with a big bill. If the engine oil level goes too high, the engine could quite feasibly suffer a 'runaway', leading it to self-destruct, costing you thousands. You'll have to do intermediate oil changes to get rid of the repeated problem of diesel in the oil.

Sadly, you bought the wrong vehicle. Now you've got to decide when (or whether) to cut your losses.

Snag is the ideal vehiclel does not exist. I do log deliveries and work on the farm a single cab pickup seems the best bet but yes these engines clearly don't like short runs. It is still under warrante and I have another 3 1/2 years on that so not panicking yet. Am all ears to what I could change too.

Isuzu Dmax 2014 - DPF issue - gordonbennet

My Hilux mk6 was a 2007 model, that didn't have a DPF, if it turns out you can't do anything with the Isuzu might be worth finding out from your pick up maker of choice what year DPF's started going in and buy used as new as poss without the thing.

I'm so glad i have an aversion to modern vehicles and all the faff that been added.

If i was to buy another new vehicle of that type, it would be a grey import petrol Hilux which i'd get LPG converted cos there is stacks of room by the chassis for 2 x 80/100 litre torpedo tanks...just a thought for as this is going to be an ongoing problem.

Agree with Rob, at the very least i'd buy a 25l drum of engine oil and be doing oil changes regularly meself in the meantime, maybe using the old litmus test on the oil when it first goes in and then doing similar every 1000 miles so you have some idea of fuel content, i don't know of any reasonably cheap accurate way of measuring the fuel contenapart from that, maybe someone else does.

Isuzu Dmax 2014 - DPF issue - galileo

Agree with Rob, at the very least i'd buy a 25l drum of engine oil and be doing oil changes regularly meself in the meantime, maybe using the old litmus test on the oil when it first goes in and then doing similar every 1000 miles so you have some idea of fuel content, i don't know of any reasonably cheap accurate way of measuring the fuel contenapart from that, maybe someone else does.

The densities of lub oil and diesel are different enough to tell by weighing measured volumes of fresh oil and suspect oil, if you have a sufficiently accurate measure and weighing scale.

Viscosity should also be different but may not be proportional to the amount of contamination. There are lab hydrometers that cover the density range but these are £21 plus, and by the time you've drained enough oil for any of these tests you may as well just do a full change as GB suggests.

Hi gordonbennet

Now looking at second hand Hilux's. You sure the 2007 model is free of the DPF? Not finding it easy to work out what vintage I need to look out for.

Thanks

Now looking at second hand Hilux's. You sure the 2007 model is free of the DPF? Not finding it easy to work out what vintage I need to look out for.

Yes ours definately did not have one, that was the first question before the vehicle was considered, that was a 3.0, can't vouch for the 2.5.

If you have a rural Toyota dealer in your vicinity the service manager should have more idea what year the vehicle was DPF equipped than an urban glass palace, don't suppose you're the only person in this boat.

No joy there the chaps on HPOC (have a google) will soon answer that one for you if indeed a look round doesn't reveal all.

The problem is, it probably isn't under warranty for things like the DPF, or if the oil gets diluted with diesel, overflows and blows up the engine.

Have a very good read of your warranty conditions.

Isuzu Dmax 2014 - DPF issue - skidpan

It is still under warrante and I have another 3 1/2 years on that so not panicking yet.

The warranty will not cover the DPF unless its failure is due to a manufacturing defect. Since you are using the vehicle in an inapropriate manner which is the cause of your issues the warranty will not apply to the DPF in your case.

O hell. I was relaxing a bit thinking it's not the end of the world if the darn thing goes wrong but sounds like I am mistaken. Sounds like I need to get shot of it sooner rather than later. Will have a good read of the conditions.

Isuzu Dmax 2014 - DPF issue - kwakaman39

I have the DPF worry now i am looking for my new car again.

I currently have a AUDI A1 diesel with a DPF.

I do short journeys (6-10 miles) and are on the reccommended limit for a diesel with DPF.

The reason i think your oil is contaminated is due to incomplete regenerations done by injecting up to 8 times the amount of diesel in to your engine to get the dpf hot enough to burn off soot.

Not completing these REGENS doesnt help, as the fuel then gets put into the sump.(i think)

My suggestion is to do longer journey once a week or so OR more importantly when the car is doing an ACTIVE REGEN.

You should know when this is happening due to vehicle getting to operating temp alot quicker (from cold) than normal/ high idle speed/stop-start not working (if fitted)/ smell and from the radiator fan running.

If you know when an active regen is being done then you can take the measures to make it complete. Drive at highish rpm (2k+) for anything from 15 - 30 mins above 40mph. Use a lower gear if nessasery to keep rpm up.

I make a point of finishing an active regen when i know its doing one. (dont stop) Worth the extra 10miles or so drive to complete for piece of mind.

Try it. You may find that the oil level stops increasing if you complete every Regen.

This is what works for me. My A1 doesnt use / add an drop of oil between services. Now done 38K miles in 4 years.

Best advice is to ask your dealer if this would be helpful as i am no mechanic, but just researched DPFs alot.

Also one of my employers has a 2012 version(not sure has dpf) of yours with 78K miles done, mostly short journeys on most days and his has had no problems.

Edited by kwakaman39 on 19/02/2016 at 20:00

Very good post Kwakaman, but it does make the choice of a Diesel for economy (once reliability/simplicity/toughness too) seem rather ludicrous when you have to second guess when the worlds best kept secret the regen is happening, and then drive nowhere at a constant speed for up to, what? half an hour more.

What is wrong with a warning lamp or dash info display, anything to let the driver know whats going on and how far to or how far into a regen the engine is, the system could be menu operated so the white goods operators amongst the motoring public wouldn't have their blissful ignorance disturbed, such a system would make those drivers with a bit of nous far more receptive to these systems, imagine how easy it would be is the driver could trigger a regen they know is due if they happen to be starting out on what they know is an ideal journey, as its stands they could travel 50 miles and the dashed thing trigger regen 2 miles from their destination.

Another modern car fitment totally unfit for purpose due to poor design and implementation, a bit of lateral thinking and it could have been miles better.

For our OP it might be worth having a chat with the service manager at the dealership, with a view to seeing if the he can trigger a regen himself, i understand from these pages that the Post Office Fiat Doblo vans are fitted with some method of driver triggered regen able to be performed on the road, so its a possibility that Isuzu might have a similar system which just needs switching on via diagnostics and our OP instructing how to DiY it, OP has nothing to lose by asking.

Even better post-gorden.

My audi does give good symptoms of doing a active regen but from what i have heard a lot are more difficult to detect.

A dash light would be great and a switch like you mentioned is a VERY good idea to activate one manually if required when you know you are going to do a longer journey.

DPFs are clever but shame the manufacturers dont add a simple solution like you mentioned to help out. Guess they want us to fail so they can charge for a forced regen?

Lets hope the industry will improve soon. After all using MORE fuel and having to drive MORE to do a regen. How can that be greener?!!!

Also many a time i have done a longer journey only to find the car doing a regen 2miles from home.

Yet again reconsidering apetrol even though prefer a diesel.

Yep some indicator on the dash would be good and have asked the dealer if there was anyway to fit one but frankly they are just not intrested. Wish I could tell when it's on a regen cycle. If the heating is on it does get noticably hotter but usualy the only signe I get is when I get out and get that smell.

Had heard there might be a way to force a regen cycle but again dealer not intrested. Aparently there is a box of tricks I could get from China but it's not cheap and the thought of having to wire it up and run for 20mins or so at standstill to make what is basicaly a brand new truck is rediculous. It should b***** well work. Think deisels may have had their day.

Edited by Beau1 on 19/02/2016 at 21:55

frankly they are just not intrested.

Think deisels may have had their day.

Presumably they then won't be surprised when an equally disinterested client base vanishes and their dealership closes down.

Yes my Diesel days are over, if the right one from the old school came up i might consider, a modern one crammed with electronic garbage would have to be so cheap that if it caused me any headaches it could go straight to the scrappy.

Strange thing is the dealership wins awards. Yes it's all very slick and polished but have found nothing good behond that. Dmax's are all the rage around here and thought I had made a good choice. To be fair I think those that get to cover a fair few miles are having trouble free motoring and except the use I give it is less than ideal but explained the use I intended when buying and was assured the problems with the DPF had been resolved. Wish I had got that in writing now.

Think part of the problems lie with the salesmen. They know that from what you have told them about your motoring habbits that you shouldnt buy a diesel.(as not fit for purpose).

There lies the problem i dont think they do a petrol pick up. So sell you a diesel or lose a sale.

Salesmen from vehicles that do offer both fuels do seem to ask about your driving habbits.

Looking like i will change my decission to buy a diesel suv to a petrol version now.

Isuzu Dmax 2014 - DPF issue - dan86

The Mercedes lorry I drive has a traffic light system that let's you know that a regen is happening. When it's green it's doing its thing and you don't have to do anything you can also tell by the noise and smell. When orange it mens it needs to be done manually there is a way of doing it but we're not trusted we have to book it off for a fitter to do it. And red mean it needs to be plugged in to the diagnostics and possibly needs changing. I'm guessing it works the same way as 9nes fitted to cars but according to the guys from Mercedes that came down to explain the new euro 6 lorries to us they are £8k to replace.

Isuzu Dmax 2014 - DPF issue - skidpan

What is wrong with a warning lamp or dash info display, anything to let the driver know whats going on and how far to or how far into a regen the engine

When we bought our last diesel with DPF (a Kia) I asked the service manager that very question. His reply was simple, it was brought up regularly by service managers at meetings but the manufacturers feeling on the matter was

a) very few owners reads the manual

b) so very few owners knows what various existing warning lights mean

c) most owners ignore warning lights

d) thus it would make a positive difference to a tiny minority of owners and the remainder would continue to drive in total ignorance.

We learned to recognise when a regen was in progress by various tell tale signs (e.g. noisy idle, slight change of engine note at 70 mph cruise, hot smell from under bonet when parked) but what really helped was the fact that a regen happened every 250 to 300 miles regardless of use as programmed in by Kia. But on the Kia forum very few owners would admit to spotting the signs and some would claim their car had never done a regen in 3 years etc.

Only petrols for us now.

Just an update on this. The truck has been in mulitple times to the dealer but as far as they are conserned there is nothing wrong with it. Just had the oil level go from normal to max which is in excess of 2 litres of diesel in the oil in 4000 miles. Trying to get them to buy it back as dont want to sell it onto anyone in the knowledge the engine is going to have a very limited life span. I keep finding others who have had the same problem and have set up a Facebook page for people to share their problems and solutions (if there are any) www.facebook.com/groups/322999041413588/

Saying that the oil level has risen by 2 litres in 4000 miles is pointless - it is, as was said months ago, the TYPE of use that it's doing.

If those 4,000 miles are all short runs from cold, over a few months, then, once again, your type of mileage is completely and utterly unsuited to a modern diesel with DPF.

Do bear in mind that the ECU keeps a record of all the failed active regens (which is what is causing the diesel-into-oil problem), so when / if the engine goes BANG the dealership / Isuzu will be able to point to all that data, and even your Facebook group and (if they dig deeply enough) this forum thread, as perfect evidence for rejecting or reducing your warranty claim.

Sorry should have said that the last 4000 miles have been much longer trips of 45min to an houre while towing. Yes prior to this more short trips but not all by any means. What warrany claim? They don't admit there is any fault with their trucks just lots of bad drivers for using them for what pickups were originaly designed to do. Admitedly a lot of todays pickup market is not work related just folks who like the image.

Edited by Beau1 on 02/11/2016 at 06:49

Isuzu Dmax 2014 - DPF issue - maslakdpf

Sorry should have said that the last 4000 miles have been much longer trips of 45min to an houre while towing. Yes prior to this more short trips but not all by any means. What warrany claim? They don't admit there is any fault with their trucks just lots of bad drivers for using them for what pickups were originaly designed to do. Admitedly a lot of todays pickup market is not work related just folks who like the image.

This Isuzu NPR-8 NQR75 RD.E-5 2008- Diesel Particulate Filter, Has European Certirificate.

OEM:8980846023 ,89808462022, 8980846020, 8980391626 ,8980391620, 8980391624, 8980391622 ,8980391621,

Isuzu NPR-8 NQR75 RD.E-5 2008- Diesel Particulate Filter

Maybe it can help you about your vehicle.