Used car from main dealer, 30 day rights? - K21000

Bought a used VW TDI from a Honda main dealer and there is potentially an expensive clutch or gearbox issue. Only had it a week and has been getting worse since the day I got it. Test drive was short, and I thought it was a bit noisier than it should be in low gears, but it's my first diesel and decided to go with it as it was low mileage and full VW service history and from a big dealer. They have driven the car today and admit something is wrong, but not sure what. They say they need a couple of days to make enquiries. They gave me the car back. I really like the car, it's immaculate and want to keep it. They gave me a 3 month warranty with it from a third party company which only pays out £500. Am I in my rights to say they should fix it and I will not be liable for any charges with it being so soon after purchase?

Used car from main dealer, 30 day rights? - Galaxy

Am I in my rights to say they should fix it and I will not be liable for any charges with it being so soon after purchase?

Yes, you are. You are also entitled to ask for your money back which, were it my car, is what I'd be doing.

The third party warranty wouldn't cover your situation, anyway, regardless of the upper cost limit. These warranties expressly exclude faults which existed at the time the car was purchased, which yours clearly did.

Used car from main dealer, 30 day rights? - RobJP

Under the Consumer Rights Act, which came in in October 2015, you have a 30 day rejection period. Basically, within that time, if a fault develops, YOU have the ABSOLUTE right to reject the car and receive a FULL refund.

You may choose not to exercise that right and accept a repair, if the garage offer to repair.

Similarly, the garage may refuse to do a repair, and insist on providing you with a full refund.

As Galaxy has pointed out, this is nothing to do with the warranty. The fault was 'present or developing' at the time of sale. The garage attempting to claim on the warranty, or encouraging you to do the same, would be the criminal offence of Fraud.