80 miles a week, What car? - Mr ?

Hi All,

Need some help please, looking to buy a car for in town driving.

I work local to my home, Not sure on buying nearly new or second hand as it won't do a lot of miles,to and from the office. Im thinking Ford Fiesta,Vw Polo type car but the wife i think is more on golf gti type cars

Would really appreciate some help on the pros and cons of which car to buy as to the small ammount of miles a week it will do. Money wise i think anything from £2000 to £5000 is what we would be looking at spending.

Thank you for any advice.

Mr ?

80 miles a week, What car? - Bianconeri
No idea what public transport is like where you live but for that sort of mileage I'd be looking at bus and taxi with the occasional hire.
80 miles a week, What car? - Engineer Andy

Unless over the weekend you will give whatever car you buy a good run out (decent acceleration through the gears up to 60/70 for a reasonable time/variety of roads, not just more jig-jog on local roads with a trip to the supermarket/shopping centre), then for such low mileage, forget performance cars (Golf GTis included) and diesels.

Smaller, petrol-engined town cars would be far more suitable (those you quoted are ok, but could you stand using the next size down [Hyundai i10/Fiat 500/Ford Ka etc]) if you realistically only needed it for commuting/weekly shop. The 'warm' versions of some of them can still be quite peppy to drive as well as reasonably frugal. I suspect though, with the sort of budget you're looking at, you'd better look at the older, more basic cars - less to go wrong, and, for those running a car on a budget, less to insure and maintain. You also get a newer car for the money.

Your type of driving actually lends itself to buying a hybrid, but they aren't cheap and I wouldn't buy an older one, mainly because of the expense of repairs/battery replacements that may occur (if you could even find one in your price bracket that worked ok) at that age (over 10 years old).

Recommendation: something small, Japanese/Korean, petrol-engined, only the essential gizmos (to keep the price down), and a proven full main dealer service history/MOT passes/all issues fixed. Ask to see the log-book and proper invoices/receipts for all maintenance and reapir work.

If you think it looks didgy or the seller is reluctant to/won't show you proof of the above, the WALK AWAY - there's lot of other decent cars out there. Take you time, and bring along a car-savvy (the oily/electric bits) friend/family member/breakdown staff (a good investment) if you are looking outside of a franchised dealer network. Don't be pressurised into buying the first car that meets your needs - look at a range at different places.

80 miles a week, What car? - RobJP

At your price bracket, and for your sort of use, there's only one car I'd really recommend. Toyota Yaris.

80 miles a week, What car? - galileo

At your price bracket, and for your sort of use, there's only one car I'd really recommend. Toyota Yaris.

Agree with that, 1.0 for economy and low insurance but 1.3 is much nipper and not much thirstier. Should be easy to find a good one for that sort of budget, even at a Toyota dealer (which is where we got SWMBO's some years back)

80 miles a week, What car? - Mr ?

Really appreciate your comments.

Thank you

80 miles a week, What car? - Cyd

For 80 miles a week, get yourself down to Halfords and buy a Boardman road bike and some suitable cycling gear, paniers and lights.

And don't forget a good helmet - I'd suggest Giro as they are designed and made to US standards which are considerably higher then Euro ones.

On those few days a year when it really is too inclement to cycle, get a taxi.

80 miles a week, What car? - focussed

Pathetic isn't it? Modern cars can't cope with a 16 mile a day commute!

Where have we gone wrong? A ratty old Ford Anglia or MIni or Morris Minor would have laughed at it.-progress? Isn't it wonderful!

Remind me how often an old car had to be serviced? Besides, how many people in the 1950s and 60s (other than lorry drivers) drove a diesel vehicle for personal use?

Blame the governments as well as the car makers leading us all down the wrong road into making cars that artificially (by introducing more and more complex parts) meet environmental legislation that isn't worth the paper its written on, which makes them susceptible to problems if driven for short distances on a regular basis.

80 miles a week, What car? - S40 Man

I don't agree with your last paragraph. Have you followed an old car recently, they stink. Unburnt hydrocarbons from a petrol out lots of soot particulates from old school diesel. Cars are more complicated but they are clearly better for everyone now than they were. That's got to be a good thing righ?. Years ago people topped themselves with exhaust gas, it's clearly not good for you! It would take a lot longer now to kill yourself. That must mean less toxin polluting for everybody.

Modern diesel cars aren't simple, especially when compared to their petrol brothers and sisters. Its this complexity that has made them very unreliable over regular short journeys and expensive to build/maintain that has made the problems caused by car manufacturers fiddling the CO2/NO2 tests even worse, and yet they mostly still pump out far more particulates that are much more dangerous to human health than petrol cars, hence the resurgence of petrol cars.

Instead of dying within a few seconds, you'd waste away like someone suffering from the effects of asbestos in a long, painful death over a few years. Nice.

80 miles a week, What car? - focussed

My dear old Dad had a 52 side valve Morris Minor. He would drive it to work if it was raining, all of about 4 1/2 miles. Otherwise he would get the push bike out, he had to keep reasonably fit, he was a fireman. I can see him now in his uniform, pedalling off down the road at 8-15 to get in for his day shift at 9.00.

He passed away in 2005, aged 94, the last of his watch.

Sorry if that's off topic, I just had a bit of a nostalgia moment.

80 miles a week, What car? - Wackyracer

Citroen C1 is a worthy choice for a small, cheap city car. Same running gear and chassis as Toyota Aygo and it's peugeot sibling.

80 miles a week, What car? - slkfanboy

So that's just over 10 miles a day. I recommend something small and british.

A Brompton ideal for short jorneys in the city. 0 emmisions well I sure you not admit to any. Maybe a company schema will help to buy too.

Edited by slkfanboy on 12/02/2016 at 10:45

That's why I recommended a Boardman. I ride a Boardman mountain bike - it's a superb machine, even on the road. But a road bike would be better if it's purely for road use. Fuel is cheap (flapjack usualy for me, but any good cereal will do), zero tailpipe emmisions, weight control and fitness benefits (on road, about 35kcals a mile, more off road on an mtb), cheap servicing (<£50 a year for a major service with the occasional can of GT85 and Muc-Off). And, it's fun.

My wife uses a C1. Yes, a Aygo under the skin. It's a good little car.

80 miles a week, What car? - chriswales

Over the past 25 years I’ve used most forms of transport to commute. The high point for me was a ten minute walk around a marina.

Public transport can be bearable or soul destroying depending on your mindset. It’s also only an option if there are suitable routes and timings for you to use.

Cycling can make the commute enjoyable and act as a great stress buster. I found it lifted my mood both in work and at home. But it does depend on your circumstances, having a suitable route, the times you travel and if you have to carry work equipment with you. Another plus point is these days you won’t get laughed at walking into the office with high vis clothing which used to happen to me 15 years ago.

A suitable car for a cross town commute as people have said above would have a small petrol engine. Generally the smaller the better, a one litre three cylinder car could be just as quick as a Golf GTI through rush hour traffic. For your budget you’re likely to get a newer Ford or Vauxhall over a VW, I guess it depends if you’re that fussed about the badge on the steering wheel. Because you’re doing a low mileage don’t be too put off by a car with higher than average mileage with a good maintenance history. This would allow you to get a newer or higher spec car. If you then serviced it annually after a few years it could be transformed into a car with average mileage for its age.

80 miles a week, What car? - daveyjp

My wife had an Aygo for 5 years and it covered just shy of 20,000 miles. The only item which suffered as a result of low mileage were the front brakes.

New disks were required after 12,000 miles.

80 miles a week, What car? - Ian_SW

Despite what some other posters on here have put, your usage is quite normal for city dwellers. By the time you've added weekend and evening mileage in you'll be at about 8000 miles per year

If this is your only car, I'd recommend something Golf or Astra sized so it is comfortable enough for longer trips away. For 5k you can get a 3 year old Astra (1.4 petrol), and in SRI trim you get the Golf GTi type looks without the hassle or cost of a performance car. Obviously it's no where near as quick, but plenty quick enough in town or on the motorway.

If this is a second car which is just being used to go to work and back, there are three options.

1) Buy a car for a few hundred quid, use it until it breaks and then buy another one. (This often works out very cheap indeed - a mate bought and kept a £350 car running for three years once with just petrol and the occasional oil change.

2) A nearly new petrol version of any of the current crop of city cars. My favorites are the Skoda Citygo or a Fiat Panda, and keep it for years.

3) Get one of the above or similar brand new on one of those £100 per month finance /leasing deals (which always limit mileage to about 6000 per year) and keep in the new car cycle and will cost you £1200 per year for the privrlege . This option is least likely to have extra cost from repairs and servicing, you might even last the three years on the original set of tyres!

80 miles a week, What car? - Gibbo_Wirral

Why spend £2000-£5000 when a cheap older runaround should do the trick?

Bangernomics (opt 1) is only worth it if the OP knows a lot about the mechanicals/electrics of cars (or has a friend/family member who does) and they (and the car owner) is willing to spend a reasonably amount of time going over the car in detail looking for potential major issues (most of which never show up on MOTs) as well as a thorough test drive.

If not, stay away.

Rather a long list of faults/problems on HJ's 'bad' section (Good & Bad) for the Astra J. With the OP's budget, it doesn't appear they will have that much money to set aside for maintenance outside of normaly consumables and an annual service.

80 miles a week, What car? - nailit

We have two cars (SWMBO and I) and do approx 4k miles per year. Reading some replies here we should both have bicycles instead, trouble is we have always lived in very hilly areas and now we are 'oldies'. The buses around here are virtualy none existant. It may be fine if we lived in York or anywhere relatively flat, or London where public transport exists, but we don't.

Oh, and we are planning on a new car to replace the oldest car very soon this year! Taxi's and buses/trains maybe cheaper but we like our cars and freedom.

Edited by nailit on 12/02/2016 at 16:44

80 miles a week, What car? - Avant

That's the best of reasons to go off-topic, Focussed. Your Dad's generation lived through a lot, and we often forget the reserves of courage shown by firemen. He chose his car well too: his Minor no doubt started easily on a wet morning, whereas if he'd had a Ford Anglia he'd have got there sooner on the bike.

I strongly agree with the suggestions above of the 1.3 Toyota Yaris. If it's too small for you, Mr ?, the Corolla/Auris would do just as well.