Lada Niva - Best classic 4x4 that isn't a Land Rover? - PG1234

Okay, here's the scenario: you need some classic winter transport, you've got a couple of grand to spend and you want to make sure you don't get stuck in a snow drift. My money would be on the Lada Niva.

I've owned a couple. They were slow, basic, noisy, unrefined and really not pleasant to drive. But they were reliable, brilliant in even the deepest snow, and as good off-road as anything from Solihull.

I've also had a few of the smaller Suzukis (SJ, Jimny, etc) but still really rate the Niva. What's everyone else think?

Lada Niva - Best classic 4x4 that isn't a Land Rover? - Wackyracer

I tend to agree. It's not the most sophisticated machine on the road but, it is a very capable 4x4 at a low price. I prefer the VAZ 2131 longer wheelbase version.

I seem to remember 5th gear trying a new Niva and their landrover camera car got stuck following the Niva.

Lada Niva - Best classic 4x4 that isn't a Land Rover? - bathtub tom

The Panda 4x4 seems a competent vehicle as well, being very light.

Lada Niva - Best classic 4x4 that isn't a Land Rover? - gordonbennet

In this price range, unless you want to go serious offroading (in which case buy an mot failure Suzy for peanuts, fit mud tyres, and stick it on a trailer, cos offroading destroys most vehicles in short order) then my £2k would go on a standard Forester or Outlander or similar and a set of all season or winter tyres.

If you want lorry like then go up a size to a Patrol, Trooper, Shogun or Challenger, even a Fourtrack, £2k doesn't get you a Landcruiser in any sort of condition but it might pick you up a decent 4Runner/Surf.

Edited by gordonbennet on 01/12/2015 at 20:06

Lada Niva - Best classic 4x4 that isn't a Land Rover? - Big John

Suzuki Jeep would be my favorite for a cheap 4 X 4. I've never owned one but have hired them in Cyprus etc..

Went everywhere , suprisingly economical and was great fun

For something larger and cheap - how about a Nissan Terrano 2.7 - Noisy engine (aka London Taxi) but very robust, simple in design and can be fixed by anyone

Lada Niva - Best classic 4x4 that isn't a Land Rover? - corax

Mercedes G wagon for off road ability. Diff locks as standard on centre and rear differentials make it superior to a Land Rover when fitted with decent tyres.