Comparison information required. - 4x4, AWD, AllGrip, AllRoad, what's the difference? - Davidss

I'll start with an apology; it's been some years since I last opened the door of the Back Room, so it's likely I've forgotten 'Best Practice', like should this enquiry be in Motoring Discussion or Technical Matters.

My sister and husband are thinking of buying a '4x4', but probably car based rather than Land Rover, and not new but probably not more than 3 or 4 years old. They do not do DIY car maintenance. To be used around the Northumberland area, on tarmac rather than loose surfaced roads. They have lived for some years around Basel, moving between Switzerland, Germany, and France, so are used to using Winter tyres as required, but of course, the weather conditions there are more stable than in the UK, and with the appropriate levels of road management.

I'm moderately experienced with the detail of Land Rover 4x4 between 1960 and 2000, doing DIY maintenance, but have missed out on later developments. I'm trying to equip myself for the questions that may come my way.

I see lots of different terminology, but assume this is Marketing Spin rather than strictly defined different catagories.
4x4, AWD, AllGrip, AllRoad, Synchro, are just the terms that have sprung easily to mind. I recall that four wheel drive can be described as 'part-time' or 'full time'. Then there's manually and automatically lockable centre differentials, and somewhere I'll bet there will be lockable axle differentials as well. Must not forget the Torque Biasing differentials, as well as the old clutch style Limited Slip. I know of the centre differential viscous coupling used by the 1990's Land Rovers, but I've heard of Haldex systems, without understanding the detail, and there are probably others.

Apparently overlaid on any '4WD' system there is Traction Control, where a fast spinning wheel is braked, but I think the requirement is for automatic best traction and grip in normal driving, rather than recovering from a 'stuck' situation.

64,000 dollar question.
Is there a comparison site that goes through all the different variations, linking them to the manufacturers model they appear on?
I'd expect this site to detail pros and cons, for instance, is a particular system VERY sensitive to having worn tyres on one axle, and new on the other (or new tyres from different manufacturers on the different axles). Perhaps the system is 4WD only on high grip surfaces, but with no automatic or manual locking centre differential it means that if one wheel spins the vehicle is stuck.

I had a quick look in 'carbycar' but it appears I'd need to know each specific model, and even then the 4x4 characteristics would probably by swamped by other detail, whereas I'm looking for the 4x4 system to be the main focus.

Sorry to have 'gone on', but I wanted to explain the situation as clearly as possible, so that any replies were suitably focussed.

Regards, David.

Comparison information required. - 4x4, AWD, AllGrip, AllRoad, what's the difference? - daveyjp
I wouldn't bother trying to find out the differences, if they want a permanent 4wd car just point them towards the nearest Subaru dealer!

Comparison information required. - 4x4, AWD, AllGrip, AllRoad, what's the difference? - gordonbennet

How predictable Davey.:-) and if you hadn't said it i would.

Simple system that works well year in year out fitted to a well designed no frills honest car that is designed to be maintained properly, no sealed for life rubbish nor extended service intervals nor complication where its not needed.

The only fly in the ointment being the Diesel which isn't in the same league as the rest of the range.

Comparison information required. - 4x4, AWD, AllGrip, AllRoad, what's the difference? - daveyjp
My Completely biased opinion!

However my wife's US manager was over a few weeks ago and I gave him a lift. He got in my Forester and mentioned his wife has one, except its a 2.5 auto, not available in the UK.

They live in the mid west where summers are +30 C and winters are -30 C and a foot of snow can fall in a few hours. The last couple of years they have had harsh winters, snow from November to end March and it has never let them down, never been stuck in snow and she only runs the factory fit M & S rated tyres.

Similalrly a busienss friend's daughter lives in outback Australia. They have just sold their old Forester and bought a new one as the old one had gone through 400,000 km and they fancied a change!
Comparison information required. - 4x4, AWD, AllGrip, AllRoad, what's the difference? - focussed

Friends of ours here in France have a diesel Mitsubishi Outlander which comes with a choice of,

2wd to the front wheels or,

4wd auto- ie 4wd is activated if there is front wheel slip or,

Permanent 4wd which can be used on hard surfaces.

All at the turn of a knob in the cabin.

Seems to work very well and has had no problems in 75000 miles.

Comparison information required. - 4x4, AWD, AllGrip, AllRoad, what's the difference? - NARU

In typical forum fashion, someone asks a question, and the advocates of a particular brand immediately jump in with why their choice is always best.

OP - the closest I'm aware of for your request is here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-wheel_drive with its list of vehicles at the bottom. A little USA biased, alas.

Comparison information required. - 4x4, AWD, AllGrip, AllRoad, what's the difference? - Davidss

Thankyou Marlot. I confess I signed off last night wondering what mistake or mistakes I had made, and how to recover from them.

The Wikipedia article is a good start, thanks again.

Comparison information required. - 4x4, AWD, AllGrip, AllRoad, what's the difference? - focussed

Marlot- what was it about my explanation that you considered not to be relevant?-But beware , I am feeling particularly prickly tonight.

Comparison information required. - 4x4, AWD, AllGrip, AllRoad, what's the difference? - scot22

I am feeling very calm. Posters suggest a solution to avoid headache from deliberating over something which won't have a simple answer.

I fail to see why the response should be derogatory of the forum and unappreciative of people taking the time to try to be helpful. It irritated me yesterday.

If polite and knowledge replies are responded to dismissively then why bother taking the trouble to contribute. The forum would become full of lurkers with nothing worthwhile to read, just OPs.

Comparison information required. - 4x4, AWD, AllGrip, AllRoad, what's the difference? - gordonbennet

Nicely summed up Scot, as usual.

You can't please all the people all the time, nor shall we try to.

Comparison information required. - 4x4, AWD, AllGrip, AllRoad, what's the difference? - coopshere
Unfortunately there is only one word that answers the question - Research - not just to find out what the different names mean but also to see if they fit your needs and whether or not they are reliable and cost effective. There are now so many vehicles on the market with either full or part time four wheel drive that it will take some time to be familiar with what is on offer.

Oh, and Allgrip is a Suzuki system that differs quite a bit from conventional 4x4 systems and is available from the small Swift hatchback through to a larger hatchback called the S-Cross and the conventional off road looking Vitara.
Comparison information required. - 4x4, AWD, AllGrip, AllRoad, what's the difference? - xtrailman

When i had a permanent 4wd car an Audi, there was at least 6 different systems that Audi used for the quattro drive.

The OP question really cannot be answered, as these systems are being constantly refined and updated.

I would suggest the OP finds a car he likes then just researches what that car uses.

The part time system the xtrails use is very good, very good indeed, i would say an improvement on the AWD system my mazda uses, but then i've driven the mazda past cars in ditches and abandoned on the roadside, so just how good a system do you need?