Introducing our new Real MPG iPhone app: Find out more | No thanks

After carrying out an oil change, the sump plug is leaking - could it be because I used a metal washer?

After carrying out an oil change, I have a leak from the sump plug. I used a metal washer from the filter pack, not a copper one, as I would have expected to seal the sump plug. Could this be the cause?

Asked on 13 August 2017 by Roy

Answered by Alan Ross
Given that the washer supplied was the correct one then we would assume that there are small cracks in and around the plug or that the plug is cross threaded. You may need to remove the plug again and check the area and threads, but also try using a cooper washer.

Looking for a garage you can trust? Honest John's Good Garage Guide has thousands of reader recommended garages, plus how-to guides and tips on servicing.

The Good Garage Guide