Is a disparity in the amount of wear on my brake pads indicative of a fault?

My dealer-maintained Hyundai i40 CRDi urgently needs replacement front discs due to 70 per cent wear on one side and 30 per cent on the other. Surely this would indicate a fault on a carefully driven car at 48,000 miles. Needles to say I could do with some encouraging points to argue that this cannot be normal wear and tear.

The 30 per cent - 70 per cent disparity isn't normal. The calipers on one side must be sticking on their pins. A blast with an airline might clean them up.