Is my driving style to blame for damaged brake pads and discs?

Since retiring, I use my car a lot less. When I went to have my two year old Toyota Yaris serviced at the main dealer, I was told the brake pads had rusted and scored the disc.The car has only done 3000 miles. Is my driving style at fault? When I need to stop, I decelerate early and then brake by going through my gears (as I was taught 40 years ago). For grinding the discs down I was charged £90 and so wish to avoid this in future.

You haven't been braking hard enough. Discs rust overnight, every night. Hard braking in the mornings cleans the rust off. If you don't, the rust takes hold leading to scoring of the discs, particularly the rear discs.