Learning to drive in other countries - smokie
I just remembered a conversation with relatives from NZ at the weekend. Their 16 yo is learning to drive (or is he 15? Can't remember). Anywya, he can legally have passed his test and be driving at 16.

However, there were some rules for the first year after the test which I thought were an excellent idea:

No passengers (though what's the use in paying all that miney for lessons if they can't repay you by taking you down the pub???)
No driving after 5 pm and, I think
No motorways

Relative wasn't exactly sure of the detail, but I reckon these kind of rules reduce exposire to some risk areas for new drivers, while still allowing them to get much needed experience.

Maybe someone knows more about this, or are there similar rules in other places?
Learning to drive in other countries - Tom Shaw
I have read about this, and I am not sure if it is NZ or somewhere else but no teenage driver may carry a passenger unless they are also accompanied by a person over the age of 25 who must be sitting in the front passenger seat. Great idea, as it is the need to show off to one's peers that causes a lot of youths to exceed their limited abilities and end up in the ditch, or worse.

I read once in a trade rag that there is a country somewhere in Africa where the driving test consists of moving Dinky Toys round a play mat, and if you know what lines to stop at you pass.

Nothing like cutting out the unnescessary frills, I suppose.
Learning to drive in other countries - BrianW
"there is a country somewhere in Africa where the driving test consists of moving Dinky Toys round a play mat, and if you know what lines to stop at you pass. "

Most of those now live in and drive round north London !

Brian
Still learning (I hope)
Learning to drive in other countries - THe Growler
BrianW: avoid Finsbury Park for starters...;-)

When I lived in Oz, VIC and NSW, maybe QLD too made the recently qualified driver put "P" (for probationary) plates up for 12 months. They were also speed-limited to 90 kph as I recall.

I always thought this was an excellent idea: cost nothing and sent the right message to both the probationee and other drivers.
Probably too much of a no-brainer for all those academic genii over there in UK though......

Want a drivers' license? Pop over to the Philippines. LOng lines standing in heat? No worries. YOu don't even need to learn to drive. Juan de la Cruz will meet you. Give him a copy of your passport, a few bucks, your application form, 2 passport photos and come back at 3 p.m. He'll take the test for you.

I have 4 licenses, all acquired legally and all under my own name. Very handy when those pesky cops need beer money on a Friday night and stop me for some alleged offence.

Great in UK too for car rental as a tourist.

(evil grin)
Learning to drive in other countries - BrianW
Growler

"avoid Finsbury Park for starters...;-)"

I'd like to, but the Seven Sisters Road is the only direct route.

Along the stretch between Finsbury Park station east to the end of the dual carriageway there have been at least four fatals since September, two of them since Xmas!

Brian
Still learning (I hope)
Learning to drive in other countries - Stargazer {P}
As of last year in NSW, Australia, new license means probationary status (P plates) for 1 year, 80kph limit (or lower if the speed limit is lower).....normal speed limit is 100 or 110kph, zero alcohol limit (normally 0.05mg/litre) and not allowed to act as a qualified driver for another learner until over 21 and a year has passed.

I retook my test on arriving in Oz....managed to miss out on the P plates as I had a valid UK licence otherwise 2000km trips would have been a nightmare at 80kph!

Ian L
Learning to drive in other countries - Ian (Cape Town)
"there is a country somewhere in Africa where the driving test
consists of moving Dinky Toys round a play mat, and if
you know what lines to stop at you pass. "

What's a dinky car? :)

There is a country in africa [no names, etc, but the phrase "free nelson mandela" comes to mind] where taking an organised bus trip to an out-of-the way testing station, the handing over of a pile of readies, and a smile will get you a license. The more you pay, the bigger the vehicle you can drive.
These 'services' are openly advertised in the daily papers...

Many capetonians attend driving schools which will take them 100kms to another town, where the test is said to be 'easier'.
(ie the bribe is less.)

Apropos to nothing at all, our road death toll over Xmas month was 1400.

Learning to drive in other countries - THe Growler
Brings to mind my mis-spent youth in the outback of NW Australia.

I landed a job working with the abos (er...sorry, native Australians), in a place called Derby which is about as remote as you can get up there without actually leaving planet Earth. I needed a "B" licence to drive a truck. I only had an "A" licence (car). My super after a few months of me driving my truck around the bush with only a car license said we were due for a government audit and I'd better get meself a bit sharpish up to Wyndham or somewhere to get me licence.

But that means I'm ilegal, right? No worries mate, she'll be apples, just drive over and talk to the Constable and he'll fix up yer licence.

Waht about a test.

Nah, you can drive anyways, you won't need that.

"Just drive over" in Aus has somewhat different implications: 300 plus miles on red dirt unpaved roads in this case!

So, I do this and present myself to the police constable. He is a Geordie, weighs about 400 lb and his chief job in life is to police about a million sq km which comes down mostly to beating heads together on Saturday nights when the locals get a bit out of hand.

"Wanna B licence then, is it?"

"Yes please"

"Drive that thing 'ere did youse?"
(Panic, do I lie or admit I have just committed a motoring offence?)

"Well, yes, I did".

"Hit ennerthin' on the way did youse?"

"No".

"Alreet then, go in the kitchen, the missus'll give yer a cuppa tea while I type out yer truck licence. YOu'll be needin' a bed as well I s'pose. She'll fix yerz up. Fancy a tinnie or two, see yerz at the hotel 'bout eight ". (Hotel in Oz means pub)